Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Example of why our lines are so long, with bonus crazy.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Example of why our lines are so long, with bonus crazy.

Those of you who sew have probably had that moment in the fabric store when you see the cutting counter and go "oh, crap." The line is long, lots of people crowded around it like sardines, and the employees look tired and cranky. This lady comes in to that. She takes a number, waits a while jumping from foot to foot, then she sees my CW finish with a customer and swoops in! She wants my CW* to look for a fabric for her. She has no article number, just a description, so my CW can't look it up. Also, keep in mind that it is not this women's turn, so my CW is just trying to hurry her along so the other customers don't start looking for the torches and pitchforks. The Idiot then has the following exchange with my CW:

Idiot: Is there no way to find out?
    CW: If you've looked through the flannel, and it's not there, then we're sold out.
    Idiot: No, that's not right. There was lots the last time I bought it.
    CW: ??? *tries to call a number*
    Idiot: Is there no one who can find out if you have it?
    CW: As you can see, we are all here...
    Idiot: So no one will help me?

Finally my CW (visibly exasperated) goes off and looks through the flannel herself. I have more of a backbone than my very sweet CW, and would have said, in my loud overly-peppy tone, "we will be happy to help you look when your number is called." But whatever. After a while I call a number, and it's her. So not only did she bully my CW, now she's gotten TWO people helping her on a day we are literally 20 numbers out. I actually toyed with the idea of saying "oh, my CW was helping you, I'll just let her finish." and not helping her but I think she would have lost her sh*t.

Still, I figure my CW has been gone a long time, so I page her. Now it gets a bit crazy. The Idiot hears me and chimes in, "oh, she's looking for something for someone." I'm like whaa? She was looking for you...? And then my CW comes back, and goes up to her and says no, we are out of that fabric. The Idiot just shrugs like it's no big deal, and doesn't say anything to me CW. She barely even glanced at my CW. I mean, she was so pushy and insistent that we must still have some of that fabric, and then a shrug?! No one says thank you anymore, I wasn't even hoping for that, but I was expecting more of a tantrum about the stupid fabric. It was like she had forgotten about it.

So yeah. There are staffing issues that cause long lines, but SCs who manage to get two people helping them make it worse. So do those who choose one of the busiest weeks of the year to come in with a notebook full of measurements, expecting me to do all their math for them. Also (this should be an official disclaimer) I am not here to teach people to sew! I'm here to cut fabric, see the difference? We have a classroom, with teachers, you PAY THEM, and they will teach you.

*My CW is the full-time employee in charge of fabric. Of anyone in the whole store, she is probably the most familiar with our stock, and what we currently have.
    Last edited by notalwaysright; 10-25-2015, 09:27 PM.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

I hate when people ask if there's anyone else who can answer their stupid question. I get this in photo all the time. The only training I've received is all on the job training. I don't know why certain phones connect and other don't. And asking for a manager is useless because they don't know shit and run away from the photo counter every chance they get. Don't like my answer...keep walking towards the door.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

There was lots the last time I bought it.
      "And when was that, ma'am?"

"Uh, let's see...1977. You MUST still sell it!"
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
        Yes, because no one else in the city might have admired that same fabric and decided to make a king-sized flannel quilt or somesuch.

And what is "lots", anyway? To a quilter, it might be a yard or two. To me, who makes ren fair dresses, "lots" means at least five yards. I've been known to buy entire bolts still wrapped in plastic.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
          Yes, because no one else in the city might have admired that same fabric and decided to make a king-sized flannel quilt or somesuch.

And what is "lots", anyway? To a quilter, it might be a yard or two. To me, who makes ren fair dresses, "lots" means at least five yards. I've been known to buy entire bolts still wrapped in plastic.
          It was apparently flannel with foxes on it, which is really popular right now. Also, the flannel was half off, and I know many people who not only buy full 8 yard bolts, but will buy multiples of the same print. Popular stuff, especially baby stuff, goes really fast. People often see something in our go-backs and buy it.

Comment

I think you're in my neck of the woods, too. Where people go insane for a particular bird-logo'ed football team and come in insisting you MUST have Birdball fleece! Don't you know they're playing tonight!?

Also: people who don't really know what they want or how much of it, and want to discuss every pattern and fabric choice in detail with the poor cutter.

And if I had a nickel for every time my number was called, and as I walk up to the cutting counter someone else swoops in with a "quick question" while I stand there awkwardly trying to put my fabric down ... well, I could afford a lot more fabric.

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
              And if I had a nickel for every time my number was called, and as I walk up to the cutting counter someone else swoops in with a "quick question" while I stand there awkwardly trying to put my fabric down ... well, I could afford a lot more fabric.
              Would you like to borrow my Dad to go shopping with you? He's very good with people who try to jump in like that
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Also: people who don't really know what they want or how much of it, and want to discuss every pattern and fabric choice in detail with the poor cutter.
                ...or they want to stand there and hem and haw over whether they want 1/3, 3/8ths, or 1/2 a yard.

I know the day is about to get real fun when I hear these gems:
                "I don't know how much fabric I need, *teehee!*"
                "I don't really sew at all"
                "What's the cheapest fabric you have?" which is usually followed by something like
                "I need to cover a dozen tables that are 123" long and uhhhh about this wide how many yards do I need?" (me thinking: figure it out your own damn self!)

I have no idea if people are just this needy at craft stores, or if they're like this at other DIY-type places as well, like hardware or home improvement stores. I wonder if the folks in orange or blue aprons get asked how to put together swing sets and dog houses.

Comment

Believe me, I wish we were allowed to tell the line-jumper, "I'm sorry, but it's this customer's turn." If we did, they'd tattle to corporate and we'd get in trouble. They know this, and we know this. If customers would stand up for themselves, there wouldn't be a problem.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I went into a fabric store today for the first time in years. The passive aggressive way the staff talked to each other, the snark, the backhanded insults make me want to run out of there before I could get my fabric cut. They had a sign up looking for help and I contemplated it for two seconds. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
                    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      "And when was that, ma'am?"

"Uh, let's see...1977. You MUST still sell it!"
                      (looks in back) My mistake, we have half a bolt left, and with every purchase of this fabric you get 2 gallons of leaded gas free. No, the gas isn't optional - if you buy this fabric, you WILL get leaded gas in your car's tank.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                        I went into a fabric store today for the first time in years. The passive aggressive way the staff talked to each other, the snark, the backhanded insults make me want to run out of there before I could get my fabric cut. They had a sign up looking for help and I contemplated it for two seconds. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
                        Other than some really surprising incidents, my work is not like that, thank goodness. Though I'll be honest, there are some... inside jokes/conversations which are a bit awkward. It's because some are friends outside of work, or just on facebook, so they gossip. I would assume this would happen at any work place, and like I said, other than a couple times it hasn't shown to customers.

One of my favorite Terry Pratchett books (The Truth) says it pretty well, about people speaking up. Basically, that the world belongs to those who DO speak up. Here it is, it's too long for me to quote here. So XCashier said it, it is very helpful as a customer to speak up... We have some employees who don't pay attention. They are a bit scatterbrained, maybe even sucky. They might unintentionally skip someone quiet, to help someone more loud. Not saying it's right, just saying, it happens. Plus, those pushy people will not stop until they are made to. As employees it's really hard to do that. I can try to tell them that we will help them when it is their turn, but honestly I can't do much other than maybe call a manager.

Comment

That's a good point about the customer speaking up. Usually, I'm just not in that much of a hurry. And I figure if I do tell the person to get in line and wait their turn, they're going to take it out on the cutter, and not me.

I kind of thought I was making their day easier, but if they'd rather I said something I sure will.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post

Hmm, we didn't have a message when we left the house. How very odd.
                            Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                            Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                            Fiancee: What?!
                            Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                            X