This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking up 2 computers

is it possible to hook up 2 computers, one being a 2007 HP PC running Windows Vista & the other a 2002 HP PC running Windows XP so that it's possible to use them both at the same time?

What is it specifically you're trying to do? Do you want them to share monitors, or keyboards? Do you just want to swap data between them? Do you want them both online without using a router? It's all possible, just done pretty differently.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I'm assuming simple File and Printer sharing with Internet Connection sharing over a simple 4-port wireless router (with wireless disabled)
      Otaku

Comment

Lesson 1, Padawan:

Never assume you know what a user wants. Evar!

Cutenoob
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

2 systems with one monitor? Get a USB KVM. I have one & it works just fine. Just an Airlink one does the job.
          "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
            What is it specifically you're trying to do? Do you want them to share monitors, or keyboards? Do you just want to swap data between them? Do you want them both online without using a router? It's all possible, just done pretty differently.

For what you said, what would be the steps to hook them up? There are different ways as in the way you said so let me know each way to do it. IF you can, of course...lol.

Comment

Well, for sharing a single monitor, you'd need a KVM switch. You just plug the monitor cables from each into the switch, and then a cable from the switch to the monitor.

It's a similar set-up for sharing keyboards and mice, but it requires a different switch based on the connections you have. It's easiest if it's just a USB keyboard and mouse.

Data sharing, just run a CAT5 cable from one ethernet port to the other, and make sure they're set up with the same workgroup name, and set folders to "shared."

Getting them both online without a router means one is going to need to have two ethernet ports. That one will be the "gateway" computer, and you'll need to set up some specific things to get it to work properly. I believe it's different based on which OS and type of connection you have. If this is the one you want to do, let us know which computer will be the gateway, and someone will be able to tell you the steps for it.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

To "use them at the same time", a second monitor (and/or third and/or fourth) get the USB KVM, then download Synergy

synergy2.sourceforge.net/

I can help you set it up if you need.

That way, the mouse can span the monitors, and you can access both stations.

Listen to Broom for networking and that jazz.
                SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Bright_Star:

By hooking up two computers.. are you saying:

1) You just want two computers networked to each other where they can communicate? (This can be done with one crossover ethernet cable and setting the IP address of each computer on the same network)

or

2) You want the two computers to be able to communicate with each other and also both to access the internet at the same time?
                  (This can be done with one router, your current high-speed internet connection, three straight thru ethernet cables, and ensuring that the router and the 2 computers have IP addresses set on the same network.)

Please give me a description of what you're trying to accomplish.

I can also give you more details if you'd like.

Thanks,

Blade_Raver
                  Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

tho if you do the crossover method with manual IPs you might also have to set the default gateway. it's in the options for TCPIP

an easier way - but costs more - would be to put both of them on the same router and set up sharing.

either way is good for sharing data.

if you don't care about sharing data directly, the kvm is a good idea... can even share keyboards. (had that setup once at work, one keyboard & mouse, 2 monitors, 2 cpus... but the computers never shared data)

Comment

Working...
                    X