This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Got Scammed

BG/ I live in a college town, and there was a party last night, so about 2am all the drunk students piled into the restaurant looking to be fed. We were so busy, we had to turn people away at the door because we didn't have an empty seat in the house, and three tables walked out because their food was taking too long to cook. /BG

So we have these three customers come in, and they're obviously drunk or high or both, and they're ordering just about everything on the menu twice. Their total came out to $50. Obviously, their order takes awhile to cook because we had so many tickets hanging and only one cook, so they ask for their order to go. I get it all packed up and ready to go and set it on the bar to ring them out, when they ask if they can get syrup for their waffles. I turn around, pour the syrup in the little cups and turn back around to hand it to them, and they'd grabbed their food and were gone.

I didn't have time right then to freak out about it, so I left the ticket open and we got the rest of the customers taken care of and out the door. And then it hits me--We just got $50 dollars stolen from us and my heads on the chopping block for it. I almost started crying, and I asked the cook who'd been there for years if I was going to get fired for this. He said he honestly didn't know, so now I have to work the next two hours thinking I'm unemployed and trying to hold myself together until I can get out the door and get home.

Go home, take a shower, and go back right when the manager gets in for the day, and talk to him about it. He said he had to call his superiors about it because he didn't even know how to handle it, and they said I'd have to pay the ticket.

You know you've had a bad day when that's good news.
    Last edited by Safire; 10-09-2015, 12:21 PM.

Make sure it's legal for them to make you pay the ticket. Though it then raises the thought of if it's worth fighting it - you'll be seen as the trouble employee then.

Comment

Honestly, I don't care if it's legal or not, I'm just glad I still have a job. Even if it were illegal, I wouldn't fight it.

I'm now fantasizing about these customers coming back in, though. Six of the local PD are regulars of mine, they all come in together on 3rd to eat at least once a week, and I'm sure they'd be happy to help me out if I could get a license plate number. I wish I could have gotten it last night.

Comment

FWIW -- In the US, at least, it's illegal if the $50 deduction takes your day's net wages down to below the Federal *standard* minimum wage.

e.g.: If you worked eight hours, your standard minimum wage (pre-tax) for the day would be $58 --- In this case, the deduction would only be legal if your total take for the day, including "waiter wage" pay and tips, were at least $108 -- If it were less than that, they can take enough to reduce you to $58, but they have to eat the rest of the loss.

Sauce: http://consumerist.com/2013/04/02/af...-waiters-tips/
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Also, that's federal. Check your state laws as well. In my state (Michigan) your pay cannot be docked AT ALL without your written permission, and they can't threaten you with dismissal for refusing.

Now, that of course is in the legal world. And in a right-thinking world, where people are not punished for things that other people did. In the real world, they sure can fire you for letting these people get away, or for refusing to pay for them, they just can't SAY that's the reason why.
          My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Any cameras in the place? Hopefully there's something showing them grabbing the bag and you can show it to the cops.

Comment

Agree that docking your pay is problematic. But definitely see that a police report is filed.

Comment

There are cameras all over the place, more for watching the employees than the customers. However, when I asked the cook about filing a report, he said they wouldn't file one without the license plate number. I even brought up the cameras and asked if their faces weren't enough, and he said no.

I did the math, and last night I worked five hours. Hourly wage + tips - the $50 averaged out to me working for -$1.67 an hour. That does in fact say negative a dollar sixty seven. But, like I said, I'm so happy to still have a job I'm not pushing the issue. It might technically be illegal, but I've never worked a place that the server didn't have to pay for any stiffed checks.

Comment

Sadly, many restaurants get away with things that are blatantly illegal -- See the Amy's Bakery thread for more of that than you'll ever need not the least of which is management sharing in the tips. They're not paid the Waiter Wage, so that's a flat-out violation, too. IIRC, they can't legally charge you for broken plates, etc, either, nor can they make you do prep/roll silverware while off the clock.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth Safire View Post
                    There are cameras all over the place, more for watching the employees than the customers. However, when I asked the cook about filing a report, he said they wouldn't file one without the license plate number. I even brought up the cameras and asked if their faces weren't enough, and he said no.

I did the math, and last night I worked five hours. Hourly wage + tips - the $50 averaged out to me working for -$1.67 an hour. That does in fact say negative a dollar sixty seven. But, like I said, I'm so happy to still have a job I'm not pushing the issue. It might technically be illegal, but I've never worked a place that the server didn't have to pay for any stiffed checks.
                    Is it really the cook's call? Either ask an owner or manager. Or just file it yourself.

Comment

Quoth Safire View Post
                      But, like I said, I'm so happy to still have a job I'm not pushing the issue. It might technically be illegal, but I've never worked a place that the server didn't have to pay for any stiffed checks.
                      Why would you be happy to work someplace that throws you under the bus for some SC's misbehavior?
                      Quoth An Haddock View Post
                      Is it really the cook's call? Either ask an owner or manager. Or just file it yourself.
                      Yes, I think you should talk to the police about this. Just call the non-emergency number or stop by the station and ask if you could speak to an officer. Make a report, tell them exactly what happened, about the cameras, about the restaurant making you have to pay for it.

Seriously, don't just bend over and take it. Learn your rights and use them. You have to look out for yourself, or your bosses will walk all over you.
                      Last edited by XCashier; 10-09-2015, 11:56 PM.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Why would you be happy to work someplace that throws you under the bus for some SC's misbehavior?
                        Because it means being able to pay my bills--It took me two months to find this job when I moved down here and I just managed to get caught up on late rent, so if I lost it I would be evicted long before I could find another job. I'll take what I can get and not complain.

Also, the cook is technically my supervisor, because we only have the one manager over the whole store and no assistant managers. Hence, any questions like that I have or decisions that have to be made during third shift go to him. He elected not to call the cops, and the manager agreed with him.

I mean, I understand that I could and maybe even should try a lot of these suggestions, but right now I'm stuck in a "beggars can't be choosers" position.

Comment

I can understand that -- I've been there myself, more than once. So, permit me to recommend this -- Document it. Write *everything* down, in as much detail as you can. Names, dates, times, what was said. Photocopies of your check including the deduction (if they deduct it and don't indicate this on the check, this is a separate, significant law being broken).

If anything happens in the future (e.g. they make up some flimsy BS excuse to can you, like "Safire doesn't pay attention well enough to keep people from dining and dashing"), talk to the Labor Board during your job search. They can likely help you for free. Whether you get another job or are left with no choice but to do so, go talk to them after it's all over.

In the meantime, yes, go to the cops and ask to file a non-emergency report about the dine & dashers, just to have something on record, and keep a copy of that report, as well. This will prove that you made a bona fide attempt to do something about it, and gives the cops something to fall back on if they show up again. You don't even have to involve the restaurant in this.

Comment

I agree with EricKei, there are ways to document some things without making a fuss that will put you on your boss's radar. For example, a payroll deduction will show on your check. And if they ask you to hand over cash, ask for a receipt with the reason noted. If you text/email your supervisor or boss, put that communication in writing and save the text/email. Even better if they respond to you. That way at least, the issue is documented should it ever come up again.

BTW, I wish you luck finding a better job while still working this one. It isn't right you're forced to pay something outside of your control. And even if you DID have to pay, I don't feel you should be the only one responsible. I notice your supervisor wasn't volunteering to share responsibility, even though he was managing the shift.
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Safire View Post
                              We were so busy, we had to turn people away at the door because we didn't have an empty seat in the house, and three tables walked out because their food was taking too long to cook. /BG

So we have these three customers come in, and they're obviously drunk or high or both, and they're ordering just about everything on the menu twice. Their total came out to $50. Obviously, their order takes awhile to cook because we had so many tickets hanging and only one cook, so they ask for their order to go. I get it all packed up and ready to go and set it on the bar to ring them out, when they ask if they can get syrup for their waffles. I turn around, pour the syrup in the little cups and turn back around to hand it to them, and they'd grabbed their food and were gone.
                              Regardless of the "who pays" situation, this sounds like the dine-and-dashers were counting on the chaos to keep you distracted, and it worked. Next time you're at work, take a look around the area near the register to see if there's a convenient (for you) place to put not-yet-paid "to go" orders that's out of reach of customers (for example, the work surface behind the bar rather than the customer-accessible bartop). If you can put such orders down where the customer can't grab them, without it being obvious that you're doing so (which would invite complaints about "treating them like thieves", ESPECIALLY from people who were planning to steal), you could avoid problems of this nature.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X