This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth raudf View Post
    *It was part of a secondary parental contract parents had to sign. Basically it stated that the boy must listen to leadership regardless of parental involvement. Encouraging a boy into doing something counter to leadership was considered reason to suspend activities for the boy. We weren't going to be held responsible for parental stupidity.
    An excellent rule, and I'm sure proved its worth time and again!

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
    At the supermarket, one of the cashiers asked a mother politely to stop her daughter from climbing all over the trolley, as she might get hurt. The mother then yelled at the cashier, screaming that it was HER child not the cashier's, and it was up to her what her child did or did not do.

Ten minutes later, and an ambulance had to be called out cuz the little girl, who had been clambering all over the trolley like a monkey while her mother pushed it, fell forehead first on to the metal rim and split her head open like a coconut.
    And this was YOUR fault, of course! And naturally she threatened to sue?

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post

And this was YOUR fault, of course! And naturally she threatened to sue?
      Surprisingly not, then again, given that the altercation between her and the concerned cashier was witnessed by many, it wouldn't have gotten far anyway.

She was screaming hysterically all the time that the paramedics were tending to her daughter; bet they were longing to give her the traditional treatment...
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Kanalah, I noticed you said that when you first started working there a child attacked you and nothing was done... I can only assume there's a reason worth taking that kind of abuse. I'm not great with kids, so it's just hard for me to imagine staying at a job like that.

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
        Ten minutes later, and an ambulance had to be called out cuz the little girl, who had been clambering all over the trolley like a monkey while her mother pushed it, fell forehead first on to the metal rim and split her head open like a coconut.
        I haven't been at work for any cart incidents, but my CW has and she always says something if a child/baby is standing inside the cart, or also if an older child is standing on the side of the cart. Because she's had to call 911 because of a kid falling out, and ALSO because an older child pulled a cart with baby inside over onto himself. And I've never heard a parent tell her off about it. She's also giant and covered in tattoos. But if someone did, she'd just point to the pictures on the cart which show all the things not to do.

I was at work once when 911 had to be called. A parent was buying stuff, over at register 5 (for example, can't remember exact number) and the toddler was literally running in circles near register 1. Sure enough, he runs head first into a display shelf and cuts his head wide open. The impact made the shelf fall, and I guess later she tried to say he cut himself because the shelf *fell* on him. Too bad so sad, we have cameras all over the registers and they clearly showed that she was far away not watching.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
          I had this happen as a den leader, while we were on a trip to a crystal mine and had to go into the gift shop. The boy had his hands all over all the merch, some of which was upwards of a hundred dollars. I told the boys (in general) to keep their hands off the stuff and his mother got huffy and said, "I'm here, I'll tell him what to do." I simply pointed at the sign at the register that says, "You break it, you bought it," and said, "If he breaks something, it's now your responsibility. He was told by LEADERSHIP, in the form of ME, to not touch and you countermanded that order. HE and HIS actions are now your responsibility."*

It's amazing how quickly she backpedaled, once she got a grasp on how much one of the pieces of large geodes cost.

*It was part of a secondary parental contract parents had to sign. Basically it stated that the boy must listen to leadership regardless of parental involvement. Encouraging a boy into doing something counter to leadership was considered reason to suspend activities for the boy. We weren't going to be held responsible for parental stupidity.

ooohhs hells no! Thankfully was a Den or now as a Troop leader I never had to deal with that kind of "parent". I would have some choice words with her and what would happen at any future outings.
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Well, it's a pretty good job. The hours work with my schedule, they let me bring my kids if I need to, there's free food and the other teachers are really nice. I make min. wage which sadly, is a lot more money then I make quilting.

Most of the kids and parents are awesome. This mom has always been really nice, so I can only assume that it's some kind of freak accident. Doesn't mean that what she did was right, and maybe when I am back at work on Tuesday she'll apologize to me.
            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
              Did you get that in writing? (Although since that story ends there, it clearly didn't matter one way or the other.)
              I'm surprised I didn't get yelled at/written up from that job more often, heck I'm surprised I wasn't fired from there considering all the stuff they liked to blame on me and a couple of other people. Then again I don't think they could've since I was, at the time, still a minor myself.

So glad I don't work fast food any more.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

These stories about kids running around or climbing on things...I don't get it. I REALLY don't get it. This is someone's child, presumably the most precious thing in their life. And yet they pay less attention to their kid than to their stupid phone?? Even before cell phones there were people like this, but whatever the reason, why on earth are some people so stupid? Gahhhh!!
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                  Mom: "Don't you DARE speak to my son. You don't need to talk to him! You're just the help and you never need to speak to him!"
                  Kanalah is NOT "the help" she is a TEACHER! And even if she were "the help", she's still a fellow human being who does not deserve to be snarled at and belittled. Even "the help" themselves don't deserve to be treated like crap.

That bitch has a telephone pole stuck up her ass. I hope her fellow diners gave her hell for her outburst. And I hope her child remembers this incident when it's time to pick out her nursing home.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Well first day back since the incident. Crazy mom was there to. She refused to look at me and pulled her kid aside to sit with her.

So no apology. Not like I care right now. I have too much to deal with this time of year if she wants to be cranky.

Comment

Quoth Chazzie View Post
                      Neighbor: I will deal with the help the way I want to!
                      Lois: He is not The Help! He’s not a servant or a slave, he’s a professional! He’s a person with a skill, a skill you do not have, which is why you hired him!
                      I've never understood the 'the help' attitude. Even people who seem 'unskilled' may well be surprisingly highly skilled: the carers who come to help me shower also do 'unskilled' tasks like taking people shopping or to the library, clean houses and do respite care (ie, watching folks like me so dear Toth can have some time to de-stress).

They maintain high level first aider skills and qualifications, have studied geriatric care, many also study pediatric care, there's a general disability care qualification in Aussieland nowadays which they also get.
                      They have to know how to safely use whatever shower chairs and other assistance equipment the client happens to have. (Rachel has had a client fall on her!) They're often the first person to notice a change in the client's skin or mobility - sometimes sooner than the client does. (Sharon's one of the best for that.)

And I'm preaching to the choir. I'm sure you can all think of a thousand other skills these women (and men!) have.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Exactly. My mum didn't further her qualifications and career til later on in life, once we kids were old enough to be left alone without her having to pay out for childcare. While we were young, Mum was a childminder. Yes, a lot of people would look down on childminding, but I'd like to see them try and take ten kids on an outing with NO car, using public transport!
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

My mom stayed home to raise her kids for most of my childhood. She only went back to school and got a nursing job when Li'l Bro was in highschool. During those years she used a multitude of skills to keep her household running. She was a maid, a teacher, a chef, pediatrician, counselor, tutor, seamstress, taxi driver, cheerleader, disciplinarian, handyman, personal stylist, accountant, and probably a dozen other roles I'm forgetting. From time to time, I would hear other women disparage how she was "just" a homemaker and how nice it must be that she didn't work and had all kinds of free time. Probably one of the greatest things I learned from her was how to not give those people a piece of my mind, but to smile and go on about my business. I wouldn't trade time I spent with my mom for fancy clothes, the latest electronic gizmo, or whatever else her paycheck might have paid for. I feel I'm a better person because she was there to teach me how to be one.

So, no, I never think of anyone as "the help." Especially if they're performing a task I don't want to do myself. I'm always very appreciative and grateful for them.
                          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Ooh, "the help" is right up there with pressing my Asshole Button alongside "a real job."

I've mentioned it before on the forums, but after I got confirmation that I was getting a job outside of retail hell-- resignation notice given to the wholesale club and everything-- I let my Mom have it when she commented how I'd "finally gotten a real job." I'd just kind of laughed off the "real job" comments for a while, but I guess it was the prospect of being out of retail finally got me to unload my anger at such a casual dismissal of the kind of jobs that millions of people still do.

Mom and Dad have been careful to avoid using the term around me since then. And fortunately, neither of them are the kind of people to refer to workers as "the help."
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I talked to the principal about crazy mom today. She said "Wait, she yelled at you and you were just doing your job?" I nodded. "Well, what do you want me to do about it?"

*sigh*

See the thing is - when everyone you know treats you like trash, it isn't long before you believe that you are trash.

Comment

Perhaps now is the time to document everything and go to your boss's boss with all the evidence pointing to her spoiling the bad parents, thus, making your school a miserable place to work in.
                                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Working...
                                X