This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement router/modem help!!!

As I'm sure most know by now, my apartment was recently burgled. They got my computer and everything that went with it, including the router/modem for my internet/home phone. I need to replace it, as I still have my laptop with me, and kind of need internet at home, since two of my classes are largely internet based.

So, I just got off the phone with AT&T, who provides my service. t's a phone DSL, and they told me the specific make and model I had was a 2Wire 2701hg-b router/modem.

I looked online, and the cheapest it's going for is roughly $60, and that's on ebay. it retails for $100. I cannot afford this. My question then is, is there a cheaper equivalent I can obtain, or do I HAVE to have that specific make and model for my internet/home phone.

Help...? This is just one item on a long list of things I need to address, and I'm hoping to get it squared away before I return to houston and start talking to the police. So if anyone can help, or give me a list of equivalent items I can purchase relatively cheap, I'd me very very appreciative. preferably obtainable via walmart, as that's the only credit card I hadn't needed to cancel, as everything pertaining to it is with me.

Also, as a final note, I'm a bit technologically challenged when it comes to hardware. the extent of my knowledge of my router for the last few years has been, "plug this cord in, and I have internet."
    Last edited by lupo pazzesco; 01-02-2009, 07:36 PM.

Just a DSL modem? Efficient Networks is one brand that comes to mind.
    Otaku

Comment

Quoth prb View Post
      Just a DSL modem? Efficient Networks is one brand that comes to mind.
      er...well, it was a box that hooked into my phone jack, that I could use both my desktop and laptop one, the laptop was via wireless. So I think it's both, if that's possible...

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
        er...well, it was a box that hooked into my phone jack, that I could use both my desktop and laptop one, the laptop was via wireless. So I think it's both, if that's possible...
        The 2701 is both a DSL modem, router, and wireless point.

While better performance can be had with something like an Efficient Networks Speedstream 5200 and an external router/wireless point like a D-LINK WBR- 1310, the combination will cost more than the 2wire modem.

B
        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
        I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I have a couple of spare ADSL modems, so I could send you one for the cost of postage.

You'd need to find a power supply for it - 12V DC, centre positive, 1000mA - and supply your own phone and Ethernet cables, which are cheap enough. I have a power supply, but it would be useless in the US, so I won't bother sending that.

One of them is small and light (good for cheap postage), has four Ethernet ports, but no wireless. The other is much bigger and slightly heavier, but has wireless as well as four Ethernet ports.

I think the postage for the smaller one would be about $10. For the larger one it could be $15 or $30, depending on ho much the final package weighs. This assumes I can squeeze it into the "small packet" specification. It would then take about a week to arrive. If you need it faster than that, the postage would cost more - I'm not sure how much more.

Comment

So, in the midst of my flailing and trying to figure out technology, which is NOT my strong suit, my stepdad comes out, plunks the exact model I had on the counter next to me and says "here"

Of course this is after I spent about 6 hours doing said flailing.

Thanks for all the advice and offers though!

Now I'll just need help hooking it up when I get home...but that's another problem to worry about another time.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X