This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Five-0 Reboot

Anyone else watching this? What do you think, better or worse than the original (w/ Jack Lord)

Mom & I have recently started watching on Netflix (she started watching first & got me hooked so I started from Season 1 on my account)

Personally, I like this version better, the original I had never seen before (we tried to watch an episode last night & didn't last 10 mins, too slow, no humor, less emphasis on Steve's military background/tactics) JMHO of course

Soo discuss
    "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

I watched it up until they committed massive theft, lost the money and never turned themselves in. That makes them criminals and hypocrites and I won't watch the show.

Comment

I know which episode you're referring to & normally I'd agree

BUT

If you'll recall, Chin begged them not to do anything stupid, even going so far to say that he wasn't worth it (heck even Danno wasn't totally on board at first either) but Steve didn't listen, but that just goes to show you, Steve takes the motto 'leave no man behind' VERY seriously as do Danno & Kono so to me it wasn't out of character at all for them

Besides that, IIRC at the end of another episode Steve said the governor told him all the $$ was accounted for sooo

I will grant you, in the real world 5-0 would've been in deep do do but as this show is not the real world I let it go. I watch t.v to escape from the real world, if I wanted the real world I'd watch the news

But to each his/her own

Comment

I am actually old enough to have watched the first Hawaii 50 when it first ran. That being said, I like this new version better. The plot lines are less predictable, there is more variety in the episodes as far as themes, and let's face it the new Steve is HOT! :-)

The first show, being produced in the the 60's as it was, was what is considered today to be racist and sexist. The bad guys were almost always Hawaiian or Afro-American, women were never anything more than secretaries or sex objects, and there was an overabundance of white men. This was, unfortuantely, standard for the times. Thank <deity> we are more enlightened today.

Comment

I too am old enough to have watched the original series on its original run back in the 1960s and 1970's. Heck my brother sold a script/story idea to them, they used it and gave him screen credit as Story By XXX X XXX. Not too bad a series back in the day.

I have seen a few episodes of the new show. could go either way.

BUT has anyone noticed the guy who plays Wo Fat in the new series????? The guy is the "host/head guy/The Chairman" of Food Networks Iron Chef America.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Mixed bag, i like them both, but they're very different shows. I'm currently watching the original, and one of the biggest differences i can see so far is how poorly used the supporting cast seemed to be in the original, it was Jack Lord's show, simple as that.

That said, the relationship between the two is a bit weird, some episodes have been continuations (Ed Asner's return episode was great), others remakes, and Kono being Chin's cousin. Still, its been an interesting ride, and often its the characters like Odell Martin that make the sure a fun way to kill some time.
            Seph
            Taur10
            "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I've watched both series (was a small fry when the original series aired and seen those episodes) and I like the reboot.

The storylines are more creative and in tune with today's times as opposed to the original series run and the characters are more engaging. I especially enjoy the banter between Steve and Danno.

Add to that Jorge Garcia in a costarring role as well as Terry O'Quinn in a recurring role (as Steve's former Navy CO) it's in a sense like a LOST reunion.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Racket Man

I was waiting to see who noticed that, I, of course don't care what character that dude plays from now on he will always be The Chairman to me

I thought maybe it was because the original was already done by the time I was born, but then mom watched the original during it's original run & compared to the new one...just..no

McDanno is awesome

Comment

I'm waiting for someone to say "What in the hell is 'Five-Oh'?" and then call 911.
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                  X