This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSW/Sydney Flooding check in

I know there are a number of fellow Aussies on here. Can our NSW and Sydney residents please let us know you are ok?

Watching all the news footage is pretty worrying.
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

I'm fine (and I think I'm the only Sydneysider here).

The storm let up briefly but it's now really pissing down. Trains are going nuts: one line is completely out (thankfully nowhere near me), the other lines are mostly partially closed due to flooding, power lines down, trees down or similar. Both my umbrellas died a sad death due to this. (and many more...there's pictures on the net now of "umbrella graveyards" including a major bridge where everyone just chucked their umbrellas after they wouldn't fit in the bins)

As far as work was concerned, we were all sent home early on Tuesday because of it and most places were kind enough to let their employees stay home today if it was an issue. I came in (and proved to be a "star" ) and we've been pretty quiet. My partner also came in.

My boss wound up losing the roof off of her apartment building at one point, two of my colleagues wound up with flooded places (or at least partially flooded).

I have 3 job interviews tomorrow. No idea how this is going to turn out. Definitely taking my umbrella, I'm also taking my partner's trench coat and I'm wearing my woolly top over the shirt I plan on wearing.

The areas far far far far north of me wound up getting flooded completely. Dungog is completely flooded, Manly dam is actually spilling over (although the reaction of most, me included, was "There's a dam at Manly?" ) and someone's house actually floated away!
    Last edited by fireheart; 04-22-2015, 11:29 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Well, I suppose it is a change from all the wildfires ... Please do stay safe!
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I have a number of friends north of the border and wasn't sure how many there are on here.

So far all my friends are ok, but most are without power. One of them has parts of someone's roof in their pool at the moment. And they have a large number of branches down in their backyard, but so far none on their roof.
        A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

There's a whole bunch of photoshopped pictures floating around the net at the moment. My personal favourite is the one where they made it look like the Sydney harbour bridge was overflowing

Also I managed to purchase a new umbrella from IKEA (in their "family" section) so time will tell if it suffers the same flaming brolly death that the others did. I do plan on stocking up on some emergency ponchos to avoid getting caught out again.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
          X