This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Administrator" spammers

Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up about a new spammer tactic. There are spammers sending PM spam under names such as "Lady_Admin", apparently trying to pass themselves off as site administrators. They claim that they have detected a virus on your computer, and try to get you to click on some sort of link, which is almost certainly something dangerous.

They've tried it twice here on CS, and also Fratching. However, since new users can not send PMs, and their posts are moderated, they weren't able to do anything. But you might encounter this on other forums. Here is a copy of one such message. I've altered the link so no one accidentally clicks on it. I don't know what it does exactly, and I'm not about to try it and find out.

Dear, nealparry!

A virus alert was noticed on your computer.
    We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: hxxp: //antivirus.effectmeds.com/nealparry
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Sincerely, Forum Administration www.vbadvanced.com.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

I've also taken the step to prevent new names involving the word 'admin' from being registered. There are one or two people with 'admin' in their screen names, but there's no effect on existing names so there should be no issues.

Considering we have actual workplace admins here, it's a step I'd prefer not to take, but smeg happens. The important thing is how you deal with it.

Rapscallion

Comment

This happens at Gaiaonline a lot. Ignoring and reporting these type of PMs has become almost second nature to me, now.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

There are vBulletin mods that can be installed that cause a person's username to glow or change colors based on their Usergroup. Most Moderators are Blue, and most Administrators are Red. Works for many sites.
        SC: "Are you new or something?"
        Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
          There are vBulletin mods that can be installed that cause a person's username to glow or change colors based on their Usergroup. Most Moderators are Blue, and most Administrators are Red. Works for many sites.
          I set that up on here quite some time ago, actually. Admin show up like this and mods show up like this. We also have the Moderator and Admin badges that show up under our names.

I also took it one step further, and made it so that banned users show up like this.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            I also took it one step further, and made it so that banned users show up like this.
            I still see those logged in from time to time.
            Military Spouse Support.
            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
            Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
              I still see those logged in from time to time.
              Yes, but they can't do anything.
              "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
              HellGate: London

Comment

Just saw another one "LadyROOT", since apparently a lot of boards are doing like we did and banning "Admin" from user names. The IP matched the last one exactly.

Comment

Can you do an IP ban?
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                    Can you do an IP ban?
                    Done and done. And I mean done.

Comment

Working...
                    X