Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I contract out to a federal government agency, but my employer works in civil/defense/private classes as well. So on my employer side, all password changes are required every 45 days (oy). The requirements for the length aren't too bad, it's the frequency that sucks. The FED, however, requires 90 day password changes. It has to be a mix of upper/lower/numeric and special characters. And the first digit cannot be a special character. The retention is above 20 and may be unlimited. And the hell of it is, that policy applies to ANYTHING on the network. If it requires a login, no matter how inconsequential and probable that anyone outside the network can even use it, it must follow the 90 day policy. Makes me glad I'm no longer on the server side of the business .
    But the paint on me is beginning to dry
    And it's not what I wanted to be
    The weight on me
    Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

I just had a thought.....

"MeowMeowMeowMeow"

Would probably make a pretty decent password......
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        I just had a thought.....

"MeowMeowMeowMeow"

Would probably make a pretty decent password......
        It would be cracked quickly in a brute force attack.

Random character generation is the only way to go, and the kind of encryption you use really does matter.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Yeah, but it'd last a lot longer than those people who STILL think their birthday, backwards, is hack-proof.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
          X