This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made by request

Boyfriend's mom asked me to make a cake for her boss. Guess he's a fan. She got the cookies as a bonus, because I thought matching cookies would be fun. Too late it occurred to me that I should have slipped in one cookie with the logo of their rival team, if there is one.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

That cake is awesome. Also much more "homely" than those fondant sculpted pieces that pass for cakes nowadays...
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

The logo on the cake was going to be fondant, rolled and cut. But my fondant wouldn't cooperate, so I used buttercream instead, piped on and spread. The cookies are iced with a simple sugar glaze, which dried to a very nice gloss.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Very cool. Also very yummy I assume (mmmmm buttercream)

Comment

the cake is nice and all, but...but I want that pretzel! And the D&D maps...
          My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
            LOL those pretzels were awesomely yummy, but they're long gone. I should probably make some more pretzels. They're a major pain in the butt though, with the baking soda bath (lye isn't easy to work with) they get before baking. Makes a huge mess.

The D&D maps are actually tiles for WarHammer Quest. The game isn't published anymore, and the 'official' sets you can find are stupidly expensive so some friends of ours made a set for the boyfriend for his birthday. I need to find out where they got the cardboard stock they used and get some more, I have printouts of even more dungeon tiles and cards to add to his set.

Boyfriend's mom told me her boss loved the cake and cookies, made her pose with them for a pic before they were annihilated.

Comment

Fabulous! I love when you show us your work, its always so well done! Every time I see a fail relating to failed decorated cookies inevitably it is because the nit-wit er baker has no concept of either flooding icing, or glaze or any knowledge past the frosting tubes in the baking aisle. Nothing wrong with that of course frosting and cookies/cake = yum and I am all for trying new things. Still before taking on a project you have never done it is a good idea to do some research rather than assume you can half-ass a project and then wonder why it didn't turn out like the pretty picture. Also 9 times out ten on pinterest fails the phrase "I followed the directions to a T and/or exactly" pretty much means they did not. If people knew the time and effort you put into your craft and the learning curve for such things they would think twice about embarking on a project ill prepared.

Comment

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
                I didn't see and pretzel or WHQ maps. Was the picture changed?

By the way, I have the original WHQ with the two add-on adventures.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  I didn't see and pretzel or WHQ maps. Was the picture changed?
                  Referring to other photos in the album I have the image for this thread posted in. It's publicly available, so feel free to browse.

Pudddykat- This was my first ever attempt at icing cookies. I'll admit I did some research first, including looking into options for icing to use, and methods. I decided to go with a simple sugar icing instead of royal icing because I don't have meringue powder and don't feel comfortable using raw egg whites in icing. And I do consider myself a rank amateur at frosting cakes. This cake is the second one I've actually decorated rather than just slathering frosting on.

Comment

Could have fooled me it all looks very professional! Actually you could put some professionals to shame. Check out cakewrecks.com to see what I mean. The fact you did the research and dedicated the time to doing the work is what separates you from the ones who don't have the patience and think they can just throw things together real fast. I like the glaze its simple yet looks very good. I am not an expert at icing cakes or cookies, I know some basics about how it is done though. I love that you bake for the love of baking and of course for the love of eating yummy stuff.
                    Last edited by pudddykat; 04-14-2015, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                      Referring to other photos in the album I have the image for this thread posted in. It's publicly available, so feel free to browse.
                      Thanks. For some reason I didn't notice the browse feature earlier.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I check cakewrecks.com a few times a week, for the laughs (and for the Sunday Sweets- it's amazing what some of the real professionals can do). It amazes me that people actually PAY the 'bakers' for some of those monstrosities. Especially the wedding wrecks. Actually, I take that back. The baby cakes may well be worse, overall.

Comment

Yes the baby cakes are quite eh...er...

Comment

Working...
                          X