X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new secret addiction!

....OK, not so secret now.

It's RuPaul's Drag Race. I can't seem to get enough of it! Mostly because it just seems so "fun" rather than so serious and there does need to be some actual talent in there, as opposed to just "looking pretty" or "singing pretty" or "knowing how to sew".

For those of you who don't know, the show is about...well drag queens. Basically they're competing to see who's the best of the bunch and the winner gets some makeup, a cash prize and until somewhat recently, they were headlining a tour as well. They do a "mini-challenge" which may or may not give them a small advantage in the next challenge, which is the main focus of the episode. The challenges vary and can include stand-up comedy, designing a gown to fit around a certain theme (with added extras, for instance one episode had the queens making outfits inspired by different cakes and they then had to decorate a Dolly Varden cake to look like them), filming a clip of some kind or my personal favourite..."Snatch Game." (the queens impersonate different [female-usually] celebrities on their version of Match Game, with the guest judges acting as the contestants. They're judged on how well they can impersonate their particular character and how funny they can be while impersonating that character) Then at the end of each episode, they do a runway showing off a particular "look" of theirs (one contestant walked out with a waist so cinched she actually needed an oxygen tank) and are judged on a combination of that plus the challenge in question. The bottom two then have to lip-sync a song and the one who sucks at it the most gets eliminated.

It's just so much fun to watch without it feeling like a massive-ass train wreck. There's a good variation of contestants and they just ham it up so much

Anyone else watch this?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I don't but I'm glad to hear Ru Paul is still out there having fun. She's fun. (is that the right pronoun? I hope so... )

Anyway, RuPaul = fun = yay! Bit too much...bombastic?-ness for me sometimes, but RuPaul's a kick anyway.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
      I don't but I'm glad to hear Ru Paul is still out there having fun. She's fun. (is that the right pronoun? I hope so... )
      She's gone on record as saying that she doesn't care what pronoun is used as long as it's still respectable (ie don't call her "it" or "he-she").

And she is fun, both in girl mode and in boy mode. It's one of the reasons why I like the show so much.

The drag queens on the show are addressed by their drag names, even if they're in boy mode and they're referred to as "she" regardless. A few of the contestants have since opted to transition.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
      X