Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not happy fun time (slightly graphic medical stuff, you've been warned!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not happy fun time (slightly graphic medical stuff, you've been warned!)

Sooo...I'm writing this from the hospital, where I've been since Thursday evening.

Thursday seemed like a perfectly normal day, until around 6:15, when, during my tutoring session, I suddenly felt absolutely horrid. I went from zero to agony in the blink of an eye. My entire abdomin felt like it was being stabbed from every direction. I managed to hang on for another 30 minutes, but then realized I had to leave or risk either throwing up or passing out or possibly both in my tutoree's kitchen. Somehow I managed to drive the 30 minutes home, where my hubby took one look at me and rushed me to the ER.

We were fully convinced it had to be my appendix. But oh, no, it was an obstructed bowel.

You know you're in the worst kind of pain when morphine barely takes the edge off of it.

So, after a night of misery, Friday morning I woke just in time to start projectile vomiting. After I'd done that for a while they decided to stick a tube down through my nose into my stomach to pump out whatever else might be in there (which, as it turns out, wasn't much). Saturday evening I FINALLY had the tube removed and around midnight I was allowed about 2 tbsp of ice chips every four hours, which was the first of anything I had been able to injest since the whole misery started. Thus far today things are going well. I've been allowed broth and jello and soda and am off the IV from hell* and have just learned that I will be allowed to go home today with the caveate that I stick to a liquid diet for some time yet.

Hope y'all's last few days have been better than what I've endured. As for what caused all this misery...well, no way of really knowing. Nothing has pointed to any definite cause. So, yeah, ideopathic bowel obstruction. Not my favorite way to loose the holiday pounds.

*I just counted up recently, I've been stuck 22 times during my stay. I've had 3 different IV placements, each of which took a half dozen or more sticks to find a vein that would work, plus all the blood that has been drawn. My arms are a mass of blue and purple and red welts.
    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Guess I'll cross that off my list of new year's diet options...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Holy Colon, 42_42_42!

I hope you feel better today, and stay that way. Did doc say to work on fiber lax too or just liquid diet?

Cutenoob
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Ouch!

How the heck does a human get a bowel obstruction? I can see dogs or cats, because they eat weird stuff like string, but a person, no way.

Comment

One cause is adhesions. My mother (79) gets them (un)fairly often as a side effect of her radiation treatment 15 years ago.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Well, too much dairy could do it too. But I don't think it causes one bad enough to need to go to the hospital.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

My friend had one from going on a fruit fast (she had to have surgery). Hope you're feeling better!
              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                My friend had one from going on a fruit fast (she had to have surgery). Hope you're feeling better!
                I did that a while ago; it worked nicely and I felt a lot better afterwards. Didn't get a blockage though. I guess I wasn't on it long enough (I did it for two weeks).
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                  I did that a while ago; it worked nicely and I felt a lot better afterwards. Didn't get a blockage though. I guess I wasn't on it long enough (I did it for two weeks).
                  If I remember correctly, hers was just after a few days. Something about not drinking enough water or something.
                  "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                  Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Sounds like a job for Lemmiwinks. (j/k)

I hope you feel better.
                    Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Sorry to hear that 42! Wishing you a speedy recovery....(and no pain!!). Thankfully you didnt need surgery. I dont envy the (NG) tube you got to host though.. ugh.

Comment

Thanks for the good thoughts and the jokes (fortunately it no longer hurts to laugh!).

My mom kept pestering me for a cause and I told her I guess I'd have to stop giving the cat tongue baths and eating dry sponges.

I did have a large (size of an American football) ovarian tumor removed in Sept 2008, so it is likely that adhesions from that were the culprit.

I already eat a fairly healthy and balanced diet, okay maybe I eat a bit more sweets (baking is a hobby) than I really should, but from here on out (once I am eating solids again) I get to up the fiber and make sure I drink at least 2 liters of liquid a day and also, cut back on simple carbs (which I am trying to do anyway, but again, hard because of the baking). I figure I'll eat a salad everyday and maybe even do a liquids only fast one day a week. I absolutely do not want a repeat episode.

I'm actually scared to eat anything solid right now. So far it's been broth, Jello, juice, gingerale, and Italian ice. I contiplated applesauce earlier today, but just couldn't do it. New experience for me, to be scared of eating.

Weight loss so far since Thursday: 6 pounds.
                        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                          Sounds like a job for Lemmiwinks. (j/k)

Seriously, your ordeal sounds awful. To a speedy recovery!
                          -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                          -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Working...
                          X