This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aga?

Anyone here have an Aga cooker or any experience using one? They aren't very common here in the states, but I'm very intrigued by them.
    Don't wanna; not gonna.

For anyone who has no idea...

Comment

My parents have had one for every house they've lived in. One gas-fired, one coal-fired, one oil-fired.

Probably the simplest advice is to treat it like a fan-assisted oven which never needs to be preheated (there are specific AGA recipe books for the finer details) and also heats the kitchen very thoroughly. With a boiler fitted, it will also heat the whole house. This is however not so recommended if you live in a hot climate, because it will increase your cooling needs.

Comment

Experience with AGA

I had the pleasure of using an Aga cooker and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a way of life - different from microwave cooking, different from cooking with gas or even using induction cooktops, etc. Think of a cast iron heating unit, a product which works off stored heat. The complete oven is the same temperature throughout - and you and use every inch of it. Add to this that you will have two, three or four ovens depending onthe size of the cooker. Then add in the feature of "hot spot" to boil water in seconds, and a "simmer spot" to do most frying. The entire surface top can be used to keep things warm. I prepared a turkey dinner for 15 - turkey, dressing, baked bread, made roast potatoes, backed apple pies and a a cake, roasted vegetables, etc. all with ease. Try it, you'll love it.

Comment

countrycook!
          to !
          My first post was about tea.
          Also, on topic... huh. 'Aga' cookers look... inclusive, to put it mildly. I would never want to live in an area where this ... heat-box... would be needful/a good investment.
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

it looks interesting...but the high energy consumption concerns me...like the electric bill would go through the roof with one of those.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

well, part of the deal would be no other source of heat for the entire house would be needed-- it's like it's 1800 again! :3
              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
              X