X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy Situation

*Sigh*

So one of our supervisors just got promoted to assistant manager. The other supervisor who was vying for the job is being all butthurt and called me for a long conversation tonight.

The general consensus is that the new AM will not be good at the job. I feel, and a lot of people feel, that she moved up to supervisor before she was really ready, and that she's moving to management before she's ready (she's been working the desk less than a year in total). I don't think she can't do the job, but when she's still asking [butthurt supervisor] for directions on how to do basic stuff as a supervisor, she's not ready to move up.

I heard from [butthurt supervisor] that [drama queen clerk] is going to be picked as the new supervisor, and I'm just kind of dreading facing the desk manager after he does that. Because I've been here over a year, [drama queen] has been here less than 9 months, and I'm frankly a little hurt that they'd pick her over me. Of course, if I make any kind of noise about it, I'm being overly dramatic and they'll just try to silence me with the "she has more supervisory experience" line.

Small disclaimer here - when I was (ever-so-briefly) a supervisor with this same company years ago, I was absolutely terrible at it. I don't want the responsibility. I don't want to be the one the guest gets escalated to when they're being an idiot. I do not want to be a supervisor. But I feel a little insulted they wouldn't even consider me, and depressed about rarely getting even a small pat on the back from management, even on days when I bust my ass and stand there talking to people for over two hours straight without being able to get a drink of water. I'm mad over having applied for umpteen other jobs in the company and having them all tell me "We hired someone with more experience". Meanwhile all I'm doing in this dead-end desk job is racking up more experience in the field I hate, customer service.

So far it's been almost 3 months since my one-year anniversary, at which point I was supposed to get a raise. All the desk manager will say when I ask him why it hasn't gone through yet is that he "sent the paperwork in" and it's either on the department secretary's desk or it's hung up in HR. It's not like it's a massive amount of money, but I'm getting a little pissed off. One of my coworkers told me it took his paperwork 7 months to go through, and it had to be sent in 5 different times because HR kept "losing" it (I kind of think it "accidentally" went through the shredder).

Anyway, I asked [butthurt supervisor] if they just consider me to have a shitty attitude, or what. Because I'm always at work for my scheduled shift, I don't participate in most of the high drama that goes on around there, and I'm pretty good at doing basic low-level stuff that I used to need to call a supervisor for (shuffling room assignments to make people happy and such). I don't think I call in sick too often. In fact, I'm going in tomorrow with a cold because it's only one day sandwiched between two days off.

She kind of gave me a non-answer having something to do with me not being "motivated". Well, ffs, they're paying me just over minimum wage to stand at a desk and answer the same stupid-assed questions over and over all day and check people in and out. It's not complicated. I don't see what there is to be "motivated" about. I could do the same thing for the same wage pretty much anywhere in the country. And I'm certainly not "motivated" to be a supervisor for less than $1 an hour more.
    Last edited by Dentarthurdent; 12-14-2013, 07:38 AM. Reason: a thought occurred
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Quoth Dentarthurdent View Post
    ...(I kind of think it "accidentally" went through the shredder)...
    That's a *shredder*??? I thought it was a scanner to automatically e-mail the documents to whoever needs them.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
    X