X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue With Manger

Hello,

I am been lurking this forum for a bit, but I decided to go ahead and make an account after an ongoing issue that I have been having with one of my managers. I recently got hired at a local grocery store; I have been working (as a bagger) for about two weeks now and I will start my third week this upcoming Sunday. So far I have not had any major issues with any my coworkers or some of the managers and assistant managers I work with.

The front end manager, who I will nickname Cranberry, has been pretty nasty and rude to me from the start. While she is a bit cold towards the other employees, she takes it to an extreme whenever I interact with her. It has gotten to the point where she will a) glare and walk away or b) yell at me when I have a question. Most of the time I am asking "What cashier would you like me to bag for?" or "Do you know where the extra plastic bags have been put today?"

I do not need Cranberry to like me as a person, but I at least want her to respect me enough to answer my questions and not snap on me in front of customers and my coworkers.

I had an issue last weekend. According to the paperwork and what the hiring manager said, the schedule should be about by noon or one in the afternoon. This was not the case for me, last Friday, although the cashiers I worked with got their schedules by Friday evening. As a note, Cranberry is in charge of making the schedules for the cashiers and baggers. When I called Saturday morning to find out my schedule for this week, I was told that there was no schedule for me. The lady said that was odd, and told me that they would look into it when I came into work later that day.

Right before I clocked in on Saturday, I talked to Cranberry who told me, as if she was being rushed or bothered by me, that she would have my schedule for me by the time that I clocked out at four. After I clocked out I went up to her and asked her if my schedule was done, and if not what time should I call to get my schedule for the upcoming week. Cranberry snapped on me and told me that I did not give her enough time and that I needed to be more patient. Except she had an extra 24+ hours to get my schedule done. The paperwork I have states that the schedule needs to be posted by Friday at noon,.

I ended up talking to the training manager for an unrelated issue. When the training manager pulled me up on his computer, he was completely shocked to see that my name was blank schedule wise. I explained to him that Cranberry was still working on my schedule despite the fact that I was told that it would be done by the time I clocked out. When he paged Cranberry over the PA to contact him, she never said. He called the store manager in, who ended up making my schedule up on the spot.

On Tuesday I was supposed to take my last exam, but it ended up being postponed, due to Snow, for the following Monday (the 16th). I talked to my training manager, as he was the manager on duty that Wednesday, and he told me to talk to Cranberry when she came it for the evening shift. It turned out that Cranberry was not scheduled for that evening, so the training manager had me write a note (to Cranberry) with the promise that she would get it. I even talked to Cranberry yesterday, and she told me that she got the note and would make sure that I would not be scheduled during the exam.

Of course, much to my luck, I got scheduled from 10am to 4pm on Monday. My exam is from 12:30 to 3pm.

I really, really want to hope that Cranberry made a mistake when she was making my schedule, but a part of me wonders if she did this on purpose considering her attitude towards me. She is the only manager that I have an issue with. I get along with the front end assistant manager, as well as the training manager and the store manager.

I do plan on talking to someone about the scheduling issue. I cannot miss this exam. I also view my education as more important than a part time job, especially one that I just started. I also want to say something about Cranberry, but I am afraid of rocking the boat so early on.

Interesting...I once worked as a server in a restaurant further north from where i live now. My boss, who was the serving manager, turned out to be an extreme racist. She messed with my money, my schedule, and made fun of me in front of the other employees...Not sure if this applies to your case or not..but it doesn't sound good..maybe she's lazy??
    “I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.”
    ― Rebecca West

Comment

Quoth Kelia View Post
      I do plan on talking to someone about the scheduling issue. I cannot miss this exam. I also view my education as more important than a part time job, especially one that I just started. I also want to say something about Cranberry, but I am afraid of rocking the boat so early on.
      I hope you can get your issues with Cranberry straightened out. I agree with you on the education > work thing, though. When I worked at the wholesale club and there was any possible schedule conflict between class and work, I made it clear to the store management, "If I ever have to choose between making it in to work, or going to class, I'm going to class."

Fortunately, the issue only arose once or twice.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

(Just realized that there's a subforum [Advice - sought and offered] that this thread would be better suited for. Oops.)

I did get my issue with the schedule straightened out. Apparently Cranberry never got the note, according to what the training manager told me. If that was the case, why would she tell me that she got the note when I went to talk to her before before she posted the schedule Friday afternoon? The training manager had to go and talk to Cranberry for me to get this issue straightened out as well as tell me my revised schedule for Monday. (I am working that evening instead of the original schedule which would of clashed with my final exam.)

My work place uses a employee number as well as a fingerprint scanner when employees clock in or clock out. For some reason I was having issues with the fingerprint scanning---it would not read my fingerprints, or if it did read them I would get a low score. I was told by the training manager and the store/general manager that as long as a manager clocked me in and out, they would tackle the issue as a later time. Cranberry has been told this, but she still get an attitude when she has to clock me in or out. I have had to explain to her that higher management is aware of the issue, but it is not a big concern as long as I clock in our out with a manager's override.

I already feel like an annoyance over this.

The other managers and assistant managers I have dealt with have no issue clocking me in and out.

I wanted to be wrong about this, but the more I 'work' with Cranberry the more I realize how little she works compared to the two front end assistant managers. When one of the two front end assistant managers are working I see them running away, making sure the front end employees get their breaks, emptying trashcans, jumping on registers during busy times, working customer service, etc. Cranberry just tends to stand around doing nothing or having casual conversations with some of the cashiers.

I am afraid of asking for help or advice from someone higher up because I am still in my probation period. I have been working here for over two weeks now, but she's been working for the company for awhile.

Comment

Cranberry is a bully, plain and simple. And you, sadly, are the target she has chosen.

I've been in a similar situation where an AM bullied me. I told the Store Manager what was happening, the SM took care of the issue and I never had a problem with that AM again. Please take this to the Store Manager. Don't worry about "rocking the boat". You do not deserve that kind of treatment, nobody does. And this is something the Store Manager needs to step in and take care of.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I see you're getting into the Christmas spirit with the thread title

I'd talk to one of the other managers and tell them-I have this exam(which they knew about)and I have been scheduled here-I cannot do this shift).Training manager seems normal enough-if it's pointed out that there is no way you can attend them,hopefully they should reschedule you PDQ
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I have to wonder, because it sounds like she resents you because in her warped mind, YOU are making more work for her. Doesn't matter that it's stuff you seriously have no control over (like the requiring a higher-up to clock you in and out), to her it's YOU. You are the newest, a recent change, one that she resents having to adapt to. Never mind it's her job to do so, because deep inside, she doesn't want to really do it.

What I suggest is having a chat with the store manager. Explain the situation in terms of, "I have an issue with Cranberry that I'd like you to be aware of. (Explain issues) I'd gladly accept any advice you might have in resolving it." You want them aware of the issues and yet, you'd rather work them out yourself if possible.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
              X