Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holidays are usually busy for Big Green Cab Co, but I have no intention of walking out the door on Black Friday... I don't want to be statistic. (Crazy-angry people driving = I'm off the road, thanks.)
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

My store is 24 hours. Year round. Black Friday really is non existant for us. Our sales usually last either Wed-Sat or just Thurs-Fri pending on what they feel like.

Comment

A lot of us are just waiting for Corp to tell my store to be open on Thanksgiving and Christmas (the only two days stores are closed) "to increase sales". Sure, you may do an extra $XXXX in sales, but how much of that would be wasted in extra payroll? I'm guessing if they tried that, they would have to pay a double-overtime rate to get people to work.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Where I work will NEVER be open Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter day. Why? Well if I'm unwilling to work those days, how can I ask my employees to work those days?

One of the rare times I like being one of the owners.

I did try being open Christmas day one year, and will never do that again. So not worth it.
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

From my experience in this area most stores open at midnight for black friday and for the more hardcore stores, they will either open early thanksgiving then close by lunch time and reopen at 11pm or just be closed entire thanksgiving day and open at 11pm for black friday.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
              I'm just waiting for the day some CEO says "Fuck it, let's just stay open on Thanksgiving".

You just know that's the next step.

Stupidity like that makes me thank God I don't work retail anymore.
              I'm sure that will come within the next three years. Maybe sometime after they set it for 6pm.
              Check out my art: http://mechanicold.deviantart.com/

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                A lot of us are just waiting for Corp to tell my store to be open on Thanksgiving and Christmas (the only two days stores are closed) "to increase sales". Sure, you may do an extra $XXXX in sales, but how much of that would be wasted in extra payroll? I'm guessing if they tried that, they would have to pay a double-overtime rate to get people to work.
                Christmas is the only day we're truly closed down here. Even Thanksgiving we're open until 3. You're lucky with that one.

A company that's neither a tea company, nor great, nor Pacific tried keeping their stores open on Christmas for the past couple of years. Like everything else they try to do, it failed.

Comment

I think we are open for a time Thanksgiving day, my bad (far shorter hours due to the blue laws I mentioned in the OP). Even so, it's hard to get people to work that day so whoever is left--usually us poor saps without lives--gets 10x the work but only time-and-a-half. We have no security, so often don't get out of there until well after actual closing time due to having nobody to man the doors and a certain manager believing SCs when they say "I only need ONE thing!"...that one thing turns into a cartload, and then SM gets annoyed when he sees all the 'late' punch-outs in the system.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

In remembrance of my retail brethren, I vow not to shop on turkey day, nor leave the house for Black Friday (save for a possible RPG meet-up) so as to not encourage holiday openings.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                      I'm just waiting for the day some CEO says "Fuck it, let's just stay open on Thanksgiving".

You just know that's the next step.

Stupidity like that makes me thank God I don't work retail anymore.

We are open Thanksgiving Day. I believe our hours were 6am-11pm, and inevitably a customer will ask why we are working and not home with our families.
                      Last edited by Anglesmith; 09-25-2013, 03:59 PM.

Comment

12:01. Point of fact, our store won't even let me physically into the building until after we're legally opened, but the mall will be open sooner in case anyone needs to pee before then.

I will say this. Complain as I may about the working year, The Red Bullseye, or at least my location, wins in regards to every Black Friday dinner in all the places I have worked on such a day. Gourmet breakfast sandwiches, Chinese food and plenty of leftovers to take home by the end of shift.

This year I am going to attempt to take the crowd control training that all of the LP and supervisors are required to take.

customer will ask why we are working and not home with our families.
                        Me: Thank you for your concern sir. But we have so many restraining orders against one another that in my family it's easier to just text.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                          In remembrance of my retail brethren, I vow not to shop on turkey day, nor leave the house for Black Friday (save for a possible RPG meet-up) so as to not encourage holiday openings.
                          Celebrate Buy Nothing Day!

If I didn't have to work, I'd curl up on the couch with a good book or movie. Spend time with the family, eat Thanksgiving leftovers. Make sure the fridge and pantry are well-stocked beforehand and stay the hell away from any and all stores!
                          Quoth Anglesmith View Post
                          We are open Thanksgiving Day. I believe our hours were 6am-11pm, and inevitably a customer will ask why we are working and not home with our families.
                          "Because our Corporate Overlords demand it. If it upsets you, by all means, complain to them, please! Here's their address / phone numbers / webpage!"
                          Last edited by XCashier; 09-27-2013, 02:54 AM.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                            Where I work will NEVER be open Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter day. Why? Well if I'm unwilling to work those days, how can I ask my employees to work those days?

One of the rare times I like being one of the owners.

And I thank you for your rare common sense.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Random Craft Store is open on Thanksgiving, but it's totally voluntary, time and a half, and only a few hours. I'm tempted to go in but I really don't want to go in and have to park two towns over just to get into the door. The last time I worked on Black Friday for Random Craft Store, some two years ago, I nearly got into four different accidents in that parking lot. And that was just coming in.
                              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I remember the one year at the wholesale club that some Corporate Honcho decided "Let's be open on Thanksgiving Day! Reduced hours, closing at 6pm! Shoppers will like that!"

To the managers' credit, they did not arbitrarily schedule people that day. They looked for volunteers. There was extra pay involved, at least time-and-a-half.

They didn't get nearly as many takers as they wanted, though. One of them came to me and asked if I'd work on that day. I told them in no uncertain terms that I would not be working that day, since my usual evening shifts meant I rarely got the chance to eat dinner with my family.

The following year, the Corporate Honchos who came up with that bird-brained scheme were fired and replaced, and as long as I was working there, the store never opened on Thanksgiving Day again.
                                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                                X