X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm gonna get paid to be crafty!

Alright. A bit of background.

As most people know, Maine is a tourist state. A good chunk of our overall revenue is generated during the tourist season. The town I work in is tourist central from just before Memorial Day until around when school starts, and then when the leaves change, we have the leafers for a short period of time.

Our Town Commerce Board thingy has come up with a way to try and bring in a few more tourists for a last hurrah in early October. Stores in the town of Kennebunk/Kennebunkport are going to be making scarecrows to display outside their store for a week. Each scarecrow is to have a name, and customers will have to come in and get the name, write them all down on a form, and submit it for a prize drawing at the end of the event.

Then, at the end of the week, we'll be having a parade with the storefront scarecrows and it all sounds like excellent fun.

I get to help make our scarecrow, and get paid for my time while doing it. So not only do I get to make stuff, which I adore doing, I get to have a bigger paycheck at the end of it all! On top of that, the three other people I'm going to be working with on it are all pretty cool shit, so it'll be super fun if all goes according to prophecy.

Oh, and you should all show up Oct. 11-17 *obvious event plug is obvious*
    I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Local town here does something similar. We have frogs, big frog statues, that are painted and re-painted every year. Local artists do the work, and then they are auctioned off for display by local businesses and such. Every year, now designs and a new auction and the frogs move to the winners. I have seen cowboy frogs, stripper frogs, victorian frogs, hippie frogs. Ny favorite was the disco frog, someone took the time to glue HUNDREDS of little 1 cm square mirror tiles all over the frog! 3 foot tall frog, covered in mirrors, on display on a sunny day. Cool!

Here's to hoping your event turns out as well!

Comment

Working...
    X