This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
    No, you'd be a great parent. The lady in your line was the sucky parent, showing her kid that it's ok to leave a mess as long as it isn't at home.
    I think the lady was doing her daughter a terrible disservice. She simply didn't give a shit because the mess wasn't in HER house.

If I would've spilled something like that when I was the little girl's age, my parents would've definately made me help clean it up. I remember one time I was in a Pizza Hut restaurant with my parents and I wasn't watching where I was going and I almost ran into a waitress who was carrying a load of food. My parents made me go up to her and apologize.. quite a scary task for a little kid. But I think it was beneficial for me in the long run, to shape me into a respectful human being that takes responsibility for their mistakes.
    My Myspace, add me!

Comment

I don't know how long ago you were in school, but I went to school through the 80's and from junior high to high school, and we always had crap food options to go with our healthier food options. And even with PE, you still get the porkers. I hated PE. I wasn't heavy, but I was never that athletic, so I struggled with it. And they would never grade for effort, just achievement, which is rather unfair for the type of crap they made us do.

If we'd played more stuff like flag football (I was a killer for nabbing flags) or tennis (one month, that's it?) I'd have had a lot more fun.

^-.-^
      I was in elementary school and junior high from the late 70s through the early 80s. Some form of PE was required through the eighth grade. I was a skinny, not really athletic, kid, and I can tell you that I HATED elementary PE with a purple passion because in my fourth and fifth grade years (I don't really remember the earlier years as well, so the teachers must have not been too bad), we had a PE teacher who was a blistering beeyotch.

She picked on the geekish kids and favored the athletic, coordinated kids. She was the only teacher who ever sent me to the principal's office, and that was because she claimed I "looked at [her] funny" one day. Well yeah, she scared the poo out of me so I'm sure I looked at her funny on more than one occasion. I don't remember doing much more than playing dodgeball (which I hated) and running laps during her tenure.

I don't remember the classes being that hard, and certainly my friends and I got our share of exercise during recess (elementary school). But there must be some unwritten law that sadistic or scary people only apply for the positions of elementary or junior high school coaches, based on my experience.
      He loves the world...except for all the people.
      --Men at Work

Comment

Quoth Sableonblonde View Post
        I have just never once thought that it was ANYONE else's job to clean up after me, and if I make a mess I take care of it myself. I think the world would be a much better place is everyone thought that way.
        Part of the service I pay for in hotels and restaurants is having someone clean up my reasonable mess. But the key word here is reasonable.

I don't wash the soap scum from a normal shower or bath out of the bathroom, I don't pick up every crumb spilled from my dinner. But if I knock over a cup of coffee, I try to pick up that spill.

If I happened to have a child with me who thought it funny to smush food into a carpet, you can bet that I'd ask the attendant to bring me the cloth and carpet spray, and I'd kneel down beside the child and teach the kid how hard cleaning it up is.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Part of the service I pay for in hotels and restaurants is having someone clean up my reasonable mess. But the key word here is reasonable.

I don't wash the soap scum from a normal shower or bath out of the bathroom, I don't pick up every crumb spilled from my dinner. But if I knock over a cup of coffee, I try to pick up that spill.

If I happened to have a child with me who thought it funny to smush food into a carpet, you can bet that I'd ask the attendant to bring me the cloth and carpet spray, and I'd kneel down beside the child and teach the kid how hard cleaning it up is.
          Yes.. but in hotels and restaurants, you're EXPECTED to make a little bit of a mess. In a retail store, it's different. You should see how people just toss all their trash in the shopping carts and just leave them wherever. What grosses me out is when I'm cashiering and people try to hand me lollipop sticks (that they've had their/their child's mouth all over) and all kinds of gross trash. Umm.. there's a trash receptacle right outside the store entrance. My response is to hold a shopping bag open and let them toss it in there so I do not have to touch their germ-laden trash.
          My Myspace, add me!

Comment

Quoth Noelegy View Post
            I don't remember doing much more than playing dodgeball (which I hated) and running laps during her tenure.

I don't remember the classes being that hard, and certainly my friends and I got our share of exercise during recess (elementary school). But there must be some unwritten law that sadistic or scary people only apply for the positions of elementary or junior high school coaches, based on my experience.
            I loved dodge ball. Then again, I was actually fairly good at it, too. I have a good arm and wicked aim. But I much prefered to play four square. That was a really fun recess game. I liked tetherball a lot, too.

My cousin (exactly half a year older than me) had an evil PE teacher one year. She was sick and told the teacher that she didn't feel good and needed to see the nurse. The teacher didn't believe her and told her to go back to whatever it was they were doing; I remember that it was inside the gym.

My cousin, being honestly sick and also being completely unappreciative of how the teacher just totally ignored her request managed to throw up right there, all over the teacher's shoes.

She got her trip to the nurse's office.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              That's exactly the key. I try not to leave a huge mess anywhere I go, but I expect to leave a little mess at the hotel, and I know there are certain things they will clean. Same at a restaurant--I more or less bus my table--stack plates, put all the garbage on my dishes, etc, but I don't go so far as wiping the table down with a wet rag, unless I dump my drink on it.

And this was definitely sucky, especially if she was laughing. I'd at least stick around long enough to say "Oh my gosh, I'm SO sorry!" and make sure I couldn't help clean up.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

What a nice philosophy to teach your kids: "Leave it there, someone else will take care of it."
                For the most part, I don't care about what everyone else is doing, or what is popular.
                -Namie Amuro (Japanese singer)

Comment

I had a customer actually throw a fit at me one day because I refused to throw away a napkin for him after I'd seen him blow his nose on it. He just threw it up on the counter with the items he intended to purchase, "Throw this away for me!"

I just pointed to the trash can, and told him that I wasn't touching the napkin because I'd seen him blow his nose on it. He told me I was being lazy and rude about it.

I just stood there and kept staring him down. He got impatient after a brief pause, "Well, you going to ring me up?"

"Not until you take your napkin off my counter. I'm sure you'd feel the same way if I handed you my handkerchief out of my back pocket."

He finally grabbed the napkin and slung it toward the trash can. It flitted to the floor instead. I just rolled my eyes and told him not to trouble himself with common courtesy as I rang his items.

He slung his money at me when I told him the total, and I slung his change back at him. Then, I grabbed my rag and bottle of cleaner and started wiping the counter as he gathered his items to leave. I certainly had nothing to say to him, and see no point in encouraging such jerks to return with a thank you. After all, there are plenty of better customers who do business with us. We don't need no stinkin' SC business.
                  The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
                    I had a customer actually throw a fit at me one day because I refused to throw away a napkin for him after I'd seen him blow his nose on it. He just threw it up on the counter with the items he intended to purchase, "Throw this away for me!"

I just pointed to the trash can, and told him that I wasn't touching the napkin because I'd seen him blow his nose on it. He told me I was being lazy and rude about it.

I just stood there and kept staring him down. He got impatient after a brief pause, "Well, you going to ring me up?"

"Not until you take your napkin off my counter. I'm sure you'd feel the same way if I handed you my handkerchief out of my back pocket."

He finally grabbed the napkin and slung it toward the trash can. It flitted to the floor instead. I just rolled my eyes and told him not to trouble himself with common courtesy as I rang his items.

He slung his money at me when I told him the total, and I slung his change back at him. Then, I grabbed my rag and bottle of cleaner and started wiping the counter as he gathered his items to leave. I certainly had nothing to say to him, and see no point in encouraging such jerks to return with a thank you. After all, there are plenty of better customers who do business with us. We don't need no stinkin' SC business.
                    Wow, that is disgusting. If I had to blow my nose in a store, I would shove the snotrag in my pocket/purse until I found a place to throw it away. I guess he didn't understand WHY you didn't want to touch his used tissue?
                    My Myspace, add me!

Comment

I'm a waitress and I hate it when people spill their drinks and when you come to clean up they don't even say they're sorry or thank you after you've cleaned up their mess. Those type of people don't get a refill, until they ask and even then I make them wait awhile.

Cleaning up spilled Icee would be bad, I agree with you, but I don't think it's as bad as having to clean up vomit when a child loses their dinner and the parents don't clean it up.

Comment

I have bad problems with nasal allergies, so I keep a handkerchief in my back pocket just in case I can't find a tissue when I have a flare up. Even when I have a flare up, I wouldn't just start blowing my nose in a public setting where other people would have to see it. I'd at least head for the restroom or some other semi-private location to take care of something like that. My parents raised me better than that, and I sometimes find myself offended, disgusted, or whatever at the lack of tact and courtesy some people display. I mean, they're not fit to share the company of savages, in my opinion. They just need to be taken out of society and left behind in some remote part of the wilderness.

LOL! My wife sometimes laughs at me after a bad night of SCs because I'm almost anti-social by the time I get off work some evenings. I don't want to go anywhere or do anything where I have to be out in public. I just want to stay at home and do my own thing for a while. Luckily, I have some family and friends who are the fun kind of crazy to bring me back out of hiding.
                        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth RammsteinGirl View Post
                          Well.. I don't know.. maybe I would be a mean parent, but I would also make my child help clean up.
                          No, that wouldn't be mean. IMHO, that would be called being a responsible parent.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth RammsteinGirl View Post
                            Wow, that is disgusting. If I had to blow my nose in a store, I would shove the snotrag in my pocket/purse until I found a place to throw it away. I guess he didn't understand WHY you didn't want to touch his used tissue?
                            Gah! I don't even want to touch my own used snotrags. I'm not about to go near anyone else's.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Gah! I don't even want to touch my own used snotrags. I'm not about to go near anyone else's.

^-.-^
                              Isn't that like, biohazardous material? That's how things like SARS get spread around...UCK. I have no problem with carrying my own dirty tissues around till I find a bin, coz I know where I've been. Some people are just...incredible. And I don't mean that in a NICE way
                              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                              X