This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
    Because PA is in the midst of a massive ID checking campaign. There's commercials on the radio and TV every 5 minutes it seems. Plus it just came out that bars in downtown Pittsburgh only card like 50% of the time so SW PA is major focus point.
    Kinda makes me feel old since they're supposed to card everyone who looks 30 or less when they buy booze. Am I that ancient looking already?
    Thanks, as I don't watch the news or TV much anymore, I didn't even hear about all that. That answers my question as to the underground ID mafia.

Also, Jester, thank you for clearing up the 'personal ass' situation; I'm not sure the consequences in PA but I'm willing to bet that they are just as much trouble. I feel bad for the guys who get caught for that, although not the ones who don't card because they don't care.
    Purveyor of all chickeny goodness, and chicken ninja of the highest grade!
    "With it's indiscriminate slaughter of organic tissue, nothing can survive." - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth BdwayBabu799 View Post
      I think as long as you have some sort of valid ID then people should take it and carry on with the transaction.
      I agree with you that that SHOULD be the case. That being said, not all "valid ID's" are valid for age-restricted purposes, depending upon where you are.

As I said earlier, in my home state of Arizona, a perfectly valid state issued ID card from any of the other 49 States is absolutely worthless for purposes of purchasing alcohol. Is this stupid? Yes. Is this the law? Also, yes. Which means servers/clerks in Arizona must abide by it, or risk serious ramifications if they don't.

Now, if by your post you simply meant that if someone has a valid ID for the purpose of that age-restricted purpose clerks should accept it and not laugh at them/question them/mock them, I completely agree.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        As I said earlier, in my home state of Arizona, a perfectly valid state issued ID card from any of the other 49 States is absolutely worthless for purposes of purchasing alcohol. Is this stupid? Yes. Is this the law? Also, yes. Which means servers/clerks in Arizona must abide by it, or risk serious ramifications if they don't.

You mean to seriously tell me that if I were to go to AZ for some reason, wanted to get a drink, and got carded, I'd be told I was SOL because all I had for ID was my out-of-state driver's license?

Congratulations, AZ has just become the proud owner of The JAD Stupidest State Law Ever award.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
          Like I said, in my area, you almost have to be able to drive. So it really is odd to not have a license, even if you don't have a car. But I'd only really care about the state of someone's license if it affected me personally. Like when you have that ONE friend who can't drive and needs to be picked up every time the group does something, and no one really lives THAT close to her, and you have to argue over whose turn it is to get her....
          Eh . . . maybe Rockville and Gaithersburg aren't quite far out enough, but I never got my license and still managed to get around to pretty much everywhere I've needed to. Not even that difficult, between the Metro and WMATA's trip-finder.

I mean, I could just be lucky, too--I'm the furthest I've been in this state from a bus stop, and it's still only half a mile. So.

*shrug*

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            I agree with you that that SHOULD be the case. That being said, not all "valid ID's" are valid for age-restricted purposes, depending upon where you are.

Now, if by your post you simply meant that if someone has a valid ID for the purpose of that age-restricted purpose clerks should accept it and not laugh at them/question them/mock them, I completely agree.
            That is what I meant It's just not professional or nice to laugh at someone because of that. If Arizona has certain rules and you have to follow them or lose your job then NO ONE should be arguing with you! It's the law and not worth your job or any other ramifications that may happen.

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
              Like I said, in my area, you almost have to be able to drive. So it really is odd to not have a license, even if you don't have a car. But I'd only really care about the state of someone's license if it affected me personally. Like when you have that ONE friend who can't drive and needs to be picked up every time the group does something, and no one really lives THAT close to her, and you have to argue over whose turn it is to get her....
              You do have to be careful with that, because you don't want someone taking advantage of you when it comes to rides. If I do ask someone for a ride I will always give or offer gas money or treat them to a desert or something when we are out. My co-worker lives down the street from my salon and I was in a rush on a Friday and did not have time to take a cab so I asked her to drop me off. I came in on Monday with a muffin and hot coffee for her to show my appreciation. Otherwise I walk or take a cab or the bus. It really depends on where you live too. I agree there are places where it is extremely difficult to get around with a car.

Comment

Quoth BdwayBabu799 View Post
                Otherwise I walk or take a cab or the bus. It really depends on where you live too. I agree there are places where it is extremely difficult to get around with a car.
                Oh definitely. I was in Bangkok for a month, and I wouldn't have driven in those clogged city streets if you paid me. The Skytrain's absolutely wonderful, though. And they have motorcycle taxis!

Comment

Quoth akilika View Post
                  Eh . . . maybe Rockville and Gaithersburg aren't quite far out enough, but I never got my license and still managed to get around to pretty much everywhere I've needed to.
                  Montgomery, Howard and PG all have decent bus service but don't forget all the other counties... Maryland is still pretty small town/rural in some areas.

Comment

Quoth PhotoChick View Post
                    Montgomery, Howard and PG all have decent bus service but don't forget all the other counties... Maryland is still pretty small town/rural in some areas.
                    I live in Baltimore County, where the public transportation is utterly useless to me. I'd have to get a ride to the nearest bus stop, and then what's the point? They might as well just drive me straight to work.
                    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      I though that sounded kind of wierd, and was wondering what happened to tourists. ( Not that I am planning to visit Arizone in the near future.) So I googled it.

Article 4-241

K. The following written instruments are the only acceptable types of identification:

1. An unexpired driver license issued by any state or Canada if the license includes a picture of the licensee.

2. A nonoperating identification license issued pursuant to section 28-3165 or an equivalent form of identification license issued by any state or Canada if the license includes a picture of the person and the person's date of birth.

3. An armed forces identification card.

4. A valid unexpired passport or border crossing identification card that is issued by a government or a voter card that is issued by the government of Mexico if the passport or card contains a photograph of the person and the person's date of birth.
                      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        IAs I said earlier, in my home state of Arizona, a perfectly valid state issued ID card from any of the other 49 States is absolutely worthless for purposes of purchasing alcohol. Is this stupid? Yes. Is this the law? Also, yes. Which means servers/clerks in Arizona must abide by it, or risk serious ramifications if they don't.
                        Actually, you are wrong here, Jester. While some of the restaurants you worked in might have had that rule, the actually Arizona law regarding getting identification for anyone believed to be under the drinking ages states:

The following written instruments are the only acceptable types of identification:

1. An unexpired driver license issued by any state or Canada if the license includes a picture of the licensee.

2. A nonoperating identification license issued pursuant to section 28-3165 or an equivalent form of identification license issued by any state or Canada if the license includes a picture of the person and the person's date of birth.

3. An armed forces identification card.

4. A valid unexpired passport or border crossing identification card that is issued by a government or a voter card that is issued by the government of Mexico if the passport or card contains a photograph of the person and the person's date of birth.
                        (Arizona Revised Statutes, Section 4-241, http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/4/00241.htm)

Section 28-3165 states that said nonoperating identification license must "contain a distinguishing number assigned to the licensee, the full legal name, the date of birth, the residence address and a brief description of the licensee and either a facsimile of the signature of the licensee or a space on which the licensee is required to write the licensee's usual signature with pen and ink. "

Hence, an official, state issued ID card from any state in the United States.

Not saying that the restaurants you worked in didn't have those rules, but Arizona state law allows for other states' ID cards to be used for proof of age.

Just my two cents.
                        "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Quoth reformedwaitress View Post
                          Actually, you are wrong here, Jester. While some of the restaurants you worked in might have had that rule, the actually Arizona law regarding getting identification for anyone believed to be under the drinking ages states:
                          Actually, I am not wrong. WHEN I worked in Arizona (most recently 8 years ago, I might add), that was in fact the law, or a the very least, it was what every single employer of mine told me was the law. (I never independently verified this, as frankly I didn't care...if Boss Man tells me this is the law, I have no reason to doubt him.) What the law is now is apparently different.

The rationale behind the law back then was because, frankly, ID cards were much easier to fake than driver's licenses, overall. That is no longer the case.

Note to self: I really shouldn't be quoting laws of someplace I haven't lived full-time since early '99.

Quoth JustADude View Post

You mean to seriously tell me that if I were to go to AZ for some reason, wanted to get a drink, and got carded, I'd be told I was SOL because all I had for ID was my out-of-state driver's license?

Congratulations, AZ has just become the proud owner of The JAD Stupidest State Law Ever award.
                          No and no. No, because now the law is apparently different than what it was since I last lived there. No again because the law back when I worked there was that we could accept ANY out of state driver's license, but we could only accept Arizona ID cards. Just going on what you wrote, mind you.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            No and no. No, because now the law is apparently different than what it was since I last lived there. No again because the law back when I worked there was that we could accept ANY out of state driver's license, but we could only accept Arizona ID cards. Just going on what you wrote, mind you.
                            You know, now that you point it out... yeah.... there is a difference.

I got my DL as soon as I was legal, which means it's the only form of state ID I've ever needed to carry. I forget they're different things.
                            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                            X