This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't properly title this thread....still laughing

SC: (Holding a few books in his hand) Hey, do you guys have a copy machine? I wanna copy some info from these books.
    Me: (pitifully holding back giggling)
    SC: C'mon, this is serious!! Do you guys have a copy machine?
    Me: (now full-blown laughing) "Can I copy these books?" Are you serious or just off your rocker? (still laughing)
    SC: Oh fuck this shit!! (Throws books onto the counter, and storms off.)
    Me: (Still laughing as I collect the books.) "Do we have a copy machine?", fuckin' hilarious....(laughing)

Can I assume

You work in a book store?

Comment

Yeah, the guys was a dick, but I would have explained to him why he can't photocopy from books instead of just standing there laughing at him.
      That just makes people angrier and suckier.

Some people just don't understand...really!
      Was he young or was he old enough to know better?
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Yeah, I got this once before. It was for the Life in the UK study guide. The guy "only wanted to copy a few pages of questions and answers". LOL
        "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

Have i missed something? Why didn't you jsut say, "sorry, thats infringement of copyright and I can't let you do it here as its illegal". Would that not have been easier than people getting angry and lots of juvenile snickering?
          A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
          - Dave Barry

Comment

Hahaha, that's like someone coming up to me in the grocery store and asking if they can borrow a can opener. Sorry, this is a business. No illegal freebies for you.

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
              Have i missed something? Why didn't you jsut say, "sorry, thats infringement of copyright and I can't let you do it here as its illegal". Would that not have been easier than people getting angry and lots of juvenile snickering?
              The guy had the audacity to mistake a bookstore for a library. The guy wasn't visibly mentally incapacitated in anyway (that I could see), looked reasonably healthy, and seemed confident in his asking.

Sometimes explaining it to them doesn't have the effect of just outright pointing out the folly of the situation in no uncertain terms.

Comment

Well, I agree with that, but you didn't point out his folly in no uncertain terms. You laughed in his face. That was rude any way you slice it.

A simple, "No, we don't have a copy machine. It's illegal to copy books like that anyway, and even if it wasn't, this is a bookstore. Perhaps you should try the library." Would have gotten your point across.

Some people are just ignorant about things that seem obvious to us. No point being rude to them over it.

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
                  The guy wasn't visibly mentally incapacitated in anyway (that I could see)
                  To be fair, not everyone with mental impairments has it tattooed on their forehead. Thats why we call them "mental" impairments, because they are on the inside of the body, not the outside. You have no way of knowing that the guy wasn't mentally sub-normal.
                  A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                  - Dave Barry

Comment

I agree, that was rather rude.

I would've just said "Copying books is a violation of copyright law, and we don't have a copier anyway. Sorry, can't help you there."

Once he's gone, feel free to laugh all you want.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

To be fair, I think Hon'ya-chan probably knew that laughing wasn't the proper course of action, but that what the guy said (or perhaps the way he said it) was one of those things that just "strikes you as funny" and then you can't help but laugh, even if you know you shouldn't, and even if no one else finds it funny. That has happened to me on occassion.

I remember once in school we were styudying some Central American culture (I dont' recall which) and someone made a smartass suggestion that they used leaves as currency, after having already suggested they eat bark. I had already been grinning about the first answer, but "leaves" just made me lose it and I just kept laughing, and could not stop for more than a few seconds before starting to giggle again. No one else was laughing. I knew the teacher was getting pissed, and I knew I was giving reinforcement to the smart aleck, but I just couldn't help it. I very nearly got detention for that.
                      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                        To be fair, I think Hon'ya-chan probably knew that laughing wasn't the proper course of action, but that what the guy said (or perhaps the way he said it) was one of those things that just "strikes you as funny" and then you can't help but laugh, even if you know you shouldn't, and even if no one else finds it funny. That has happened to me on occassion.
                        I agree, give the guy a break for god's sake. Some of you people take yourselves way too seriously on here. You'd learn to laugh at the stupid things in life, you'd be a lot happier. That's all i'm saying.
                        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
                          I agree, give the guy a break for god's sake.
                          Girl, I'm a Gir.....(pulls her dress in front of her and looks down)...Yep, girl.

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
                            Girl, I'm a Gir.....(pulls her dress in front of her and looks down)...Yep, girl.
                            oops, i'm sorry. please accept my apologies.
                            Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
                              oops, i'm sorry. please accept my apologies.
                              No problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X