This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check in and check out pet peeves

I normally work in reservations but since it is so busy and they are short staffed, I have had to work the check in desk each Saturday. The following is a list of things rude ass guests have said and done.

1. a man shows up to check in and throws his confirmation packet unopened down on the counter without saying a word like I should just know what to do.

2. 4 PM is check in time.....I have 300 check ins, if you show up right at 4, you're going to wait in line. Don't bitch at me about it and worse dont even think about asking for "compensation" for having to wait.

3. Don't come to my window until I call for you. I hate when people see you and just assume you are open. If I don't call for you, it means I am busy and you'll have to wait on someone else. I was helping the concierge with something and an old couple came right up to my station and after several minutes of waiting snapped at me and said if I didnt check them in immediately, they were going to cancel their trip and go home (of course, if they were trying to threaten me, they should have done better than that).

Checking out

1. All I need is your keys when you check out. I dont need you to put them in plastic bags with a million other things you dont want to take home with you or put rubber bands around them.

2. We try to make checking out easy yet some guests cant stand it. They want it complicated. Start the dishwasher, and take out the trash and all your personal items. One lady wanted a list of checkout procedures and was not content that we made things so simple.

3. If you dont need to see us when you checkout and there is a line, simply leave your keys on the counter. Don't spend all that time waiting and then bitch that the line was too long when I told you to leave your keys on the counter if you dont want to wait.

4. Yes, you must bring your keys back when you check out. If that's too inconvenient for you then dont come. They pass our desk as they are leaving yet they complain about having to go "all the way down there" to bring back their keys. If you choose not to bring back the keys, dont complain when we charge you $25.

Welcome!
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth vacation_rentals_suck View Post

2. We try to make checking out easy yet some guests cant stand it. They want it complicated. Start the dishwasher, and take out the trash and all your personal items. One lady wanted a list of checkout procedures and was not content that we made things so simple.
      oh, I feel your pain on that one... for check out all you have to do with us is get all your stuff out of the room, drop off your key and tell me what room you are in... I will ask if you are leaving the payment as is or if you want to change it, if you are leaving it as is I push a few buttons on the computer and you're done... people don't believe me though when I say that they're done, they want me to have to do more... no, I don't have more to do.
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Our checkout procedure is similarly simple. A double-check to make sure everything's paid, and drop the keys. That's it. People are sometimes stunned, but I've not had anyone make a fuss about it yet.

As for the keys, $25? That's it? $110 for us. And since we deal mainly in groups, which get charged to the group leader, if a couple people lose their keys, or forget to turn them in... >_<
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

wow, I find it hard to believe charging for keys (granted where I work uses the cheap keys that wear out pretty quickly anyway...), where I work we could care less if you keep some of your keys... hell it's cheap advertising.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            it's cheap advertising.
            Our keys aren't branded, and since we've a master key for each floor, the lock has to be re-keyed, but still make it work with the master. Apparently it's about $100 for him to come out and re-key the lock, and cut 2 new sets. The extra $10 is for the prox card that opens the front doors after hours, and works the elevators.

On an only slightly related note, I hate early morning check-outs when I'm doing the overnight shift. People are either grumpy or too perky from just waking up. 's very annoying when I'm tired. *pout*
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post

On an only slightly related note, I hate early morning check-outs when I'm doing the overnight shift. People are either grumpy or too perky from just waking up. 's very annoying when I'm tired. *pout*

OT as well, but I think I'd rather deal with the grumpy-types in the morning rather than the perky-types. Assuming, of course, they are the quiet, grunting grumpy-types, not the bitch, moan and whine grumpy-types.

I'm the complete OPPOSITE of a morning person and perky morning people make me want to scream, especially if I haven't had my coffee.

No offense to morning people, just don't talk to ME.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Our checkout procedure is a bit complex for some people.

Step 1.) Leave.

And it baffles some, mostly the elderly, that leaving is all they have to do. And in the case of the elderly, I understand. Hotel checkouts were probably a bit more complex back in the 50's and 60's.

And perky morning people who are DETERMINED to find out how I'M doing drive me up the wall.

Comment

1. a man shows up to check in and throws his confirmation packet unopened down on the counter without saying a word like I should just know what to do.
                  Since when is that considered acceptable behavior anywhere? Marla feels your pain.

Seriously, customers, that's rude. It does not hurt you to be polite and say, "Excuse me, I need to check in, here's my info."
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

4. Yes, you must bring your keys back when you check out. If that's too inconvenient for you then dont come. They pass our desk as they are leaving yet they complain about having to go "all the way down there" to bring back their keys. If you choose not to bring back the keys, dont complain when we charge you $25.
                    Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    As for the keys, $25? That's it? $110 for us. And since we deal mainly in groups, which get charged to the group leader, if a couple people lose their keys, or forget to turn them in... >_<
                    Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                    wow, I find it hard to believe charging for keys (granted where I work uses the cheap keys that wear out pretty quickly anyway...), where I work we could care less if you keep some of your keys... hell it's cheap advertising.
                    I would guess the $25 and $110 charges for non-returned keys involve the little pieces of metal with jagged edges. Not all hotels have switched to programmable key cards.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                    X