Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Road Closed to Thru Traffic" applies to YOU!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
    you may be the "Orange Barrel Capital of the World", but the saying here in MN is that we don't have 4 seasons, we have two. Winter and Road Construction.
    See, we get the complaint that New Mexico doesn't have 4 seasons, but we do! Fall, Winter, Wind, and Fire!

Quoth daleduke17 View Post
    A lot of our roads are torn up in this area as well. One road (a fairly main road for college traffic) was closed in front of one of the dorms this summer (aka one of, if not the, largest dorm in the USA). I was very impressed by the way they got the work done on it. They realized that move-in was starting on X date. They had the road open and useable in just under a week before move-in. Thank God as if they had to detour that traffic onto the side street on the north side, that would have been chaos. 2,000+ students trying to move all their crap in, lugging their families as well, yeah, that would have sucked.
    There's always been a joke, and reality, that they wait until classes start in the fall to start roadwork on campus at New Mexico St. They've got all damn summer, but do they do it then? No-o-o-o!!
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
      See, we get the complaint that New Mexico doesn't have 4 seasons, but we do! Fall, Winter, Wind, and Fire!
      Still better than Canada. Geez. We've got 4 seasons alright.

Winter
      Still Winter
      Can you believe it's still winter?
      And...Construction

I believe 2 weeks ago or so, it was in the 30s. Now, it's getting down to 7. Another week and we're gonna be flirting with freezing.

On the topic of closed roads and such, you should have seen the fun we had on student move-in day on the 1st. One enterence to the parking lot, and 600 students trying to get their junk inside the building. And you'd think people had never heard of the concept of "Don't park there, don't drive through there." *shakes head*
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Doing it for years

I don't see what is is unusual about the guy putting a spike strip on his lawn, ive been doing that at my house for years. I also put camoflagued ones on the neighbours driveways
        Oh yeah? well you have a gambling problem! - Homer Simpson

Protect the beef - Various <prestige> warlocks

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          I am reminded of the time my uncle was having issues with kids playing mailbox baseball. It got to the point where he was replacing his mailbox almost every other week, and he was understandably ticked off about it. After a little thought, he bought two mailboxes, one large one (with a 12" or 15" opening, and 18" deep) and a smaller, more normal size one. In the larger, he poured a nice amount of concrete then set the smaller into the concrete. Basically, when finished you would open the large mailbox to access the smaller one, with a thick layer of concrete insulation between them. He then set the whole thing on a brand-new iron-pipe post, also concrete filled. One dent and a slightly leaning post later, he hasn't had any problems with it in years.
          Have you told that story before? I could SWEAR I read the exact same story off of here on an earlier thread.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
            I hope you don't mind, but I am stealing that for a sig right now. That is hilarious!
            You have my blessing.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
              The link is for some automatic bollards in Manchester (the original one in the UK with loads of rain) which are set to retract for official vehicles (post office vans and buses etc). You can see the consequences.

That's hilarious. I find the first one the funniest of the three, because you saw them try to get through, back out, then try to run through after the bus passes, after obviously backing away a bit to wait. The relative of the parking lot vulture, the bollard vulture, gets its due.
              A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

I heard a story simular to the mailbox jousting one you mentioned.

The guy took his mailbox and used construction grade girders to anchor it.
                And the guys jousting used a long 2x4 as a lance, instead of a baseball bat.

The door got ripped off the car, and the guy with the 2x4 ended up with armpit full of splinters.
                http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                  Have you told that story before? I could SWEAR I read the exact same story off of here on an earlier thread.
                  It's possible. I've told it before, and I've been on the CS boards in several of its incarnations. My first posts were way back when the picture of the cashier strangling the customer first appeared, maybe three or four hacks back (maybe more, depends on what hapened while I was gone). I lost contact with the site during a particularly long down time, and didn't find it again until after Raps was running things. You might have seen it on an old post.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
                    Problem is, the cops have enough to do, without having to babysit random intersections.
                    This is what I do for a living, hence the (very) mild rant to follow...

http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/pcso/overview.html

I hear the above comment day in and day out, and it really bugs me, this type of thing is enough to bother you, to affect your qality of life so why not tell the police, its what they are there for. Yes they may not be able to catch someone evertime, but they might put in extra patrols and they maight catch the odd couple persistant offenders, which would be enough to make it quiet down some. You may also get tha added bonus of watching the fuzz catch them too!
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
                    X