Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our managers actually came around with a list of fake last names for us, and we chose one and they recorded it. That way, if a customer insists on a last name, we can give them one, and the managers can know who the customer is talking about if there is a complaint escalated to them.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Hurts, doesn't it?

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
      Get it off.
      Oh, and how I so can't wait until I legally remove my last name.
      "What's your last name?"
      "Juwl...?"
      "Your name is Juwl, Juwl?"
      "No, my name's Juwl... that guy in the blue overalls and red shirt is Mario Mario, his brother's Luigi Mario, and I have no last name."
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I never used to give my last name either back in my retail hell days. Too many whack jobs out there. Sure, I ticked off a few people, but oh well!
        "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
        ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
          "Ray, when someone asks if you're a god... you say YES!"

I was about to ask if you're actually my friend Megu, who absolutely loves Ray to death. However, her last name doesn't start with St.
          I was thinking Stantz as in Ray Stantz of the Ghostbusters.

Ah man, those movies are some of my best memories from my 80s childhood and I still watch my DVDs all the time.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
            Thus, my quote.
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

No, I also feel it's wierd to be called by my first name by some customer I'd just met. That's why I only give my first name if I'm asked it. Sure, I'm supposed to tell them my first name when I greet the table, but I don't. It's printed somewhere on the check, but by then our experience is pretty-much over.

I've thought about how to handle someone demanding my last name ... "I'm the only [Palsgraf] who works here - you don't need my last name." If they persist, then I must assume that they have ulterior motives.

Best case scenario of a nut getting my full name would only be multiple phone calls from the wacko, telling me how I ruined their meal because I didn't refill their sodas fast enough or whatnot.

I remember reading (maybe on CS) about a waitress who started getting calls in the middle of the night from some old lady who was upset that the waitress had been rude to her.

Worse is if they show up at my home (our phone number & address are still listed in the phone book - with info on the Internet, removing them now would be fruitless). If psycho knows I'm at work, then he or she also knows that I'm not at home ...

Nope, not a pretty picture.

Unfortuantely, I doubt that ALL of my co-workers would be smart enough to not give out my last name. Someone would want to be helpful and say, "I think it's ...."

Comment

Quoth Palsgraf View Post
                I've thought about how to handle someone demanding my last name ... "I'm the only [Palsgraf] who works here - you don't need my last name." If they persist, then I must assume that they have ulterior motives.
                Agreed. I'm the ONLY Rebecca at my store.

That's why I pull out my Vanessa nametag sometimes.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Palsgraf View Post
                  Unfortuantely, I doubt that ALL of my co-workers would be smart enough to not give out my last name. Someone would want to be helpful and say, "I think it's ...."
                  One of my guys gave my first name, last name, and home phone number to an irate customer once.

I told him in carefully-controlled, precise anatomical terms EXACTLY what would happen to him if he EVER did that again.

Some people's children. . .
                  I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post

Ah man, those movies are some of my best memories from my 80s childhood and I still watch my DVDs all the time.
                    We saw Ecto1 in Salem, MA. Kid you not. Now my husband wants to build that, and a working ThunderTank.

Ontopic: When I make calls that will possibly get ... complicated, I ask "Can you give me your last name, or an ID# or extension, in case I have to do this again tomorrow?" Yeah, it might not be their real last name, but it'll be an identifier.
                    Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                      One of my guys gave my first name, last name, and home phone number to an irate customer once.
                      Jesus wept, do they have no sense of personal security whatsoever?

My uniform has a collar number (known in the states as a badge number), my picture and full name is on the website for the job as well, but apart from that there's no way of tracing me!
                      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Just give them a bizarre, fake last name like "Quillfeather" or "Periwinkle" or say "the name's Rotch, first name... Mike".

Yeah, I'm immature, what are you gonna do about it??
                        "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Working...
                        X