This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying pastry and self-spite

Luckily at my store we get relatively few SCs.. but the ones we get are entertaining, usually defying all logic and reason. The other day.. Barista Alex serves this family that speaks little to no English.. no big deal, that's very common in my area. Family is 30ish woman, big imposing man, and small child. They get a couple of drinks, and a crumb cake. No prob with drinks, but woman returns and asks to exchange crumb cake for 7-layer bar. Our store is pretty chill and we have mostly regulars, so basically we have no problem bending rules a little and taking care of customers. So Alex agrees to exchange pastries no prob without charging the few cents extra or doing a complicated transaction, etc. But this is where it gets strange. Now our policy is this.... If we hand you a pastry in a bag and you return a short time later and exchange it, the bag and pastry go right in the garbage, period. We have no idea wether you licked it, spat on it, wiped your ass with it, or sprinkled it with cyanide. We don't take a chance. If it and you left our sight for a second, we chuck it. So, that's exactly what Alex did. Well, evidently, this enraged said family. They, I guess, either wanted to keep other pastry (for free) or see us re-stock it. As Alex is talking to next customer in line, he sees an object fly through the air and land at his feet. It's the 7-layer bar, as woman is yelling something incoherently. So.. to spite us, for some unknown reason, they chucked their dessert. As she heads for the door, large imposing husband (presumably) is ranting incoherently at Alex and pointing a menacing finger at him, ending the rant with "YOU BETTER BE CAREFUL!" then they leave, never to be seen again.

Another classic WTF moment.
    Last edited by BaristaTrav; 09-12-2007, 05:08 PM.
    I will never go to school!

How dare you waste food for safety reasons! Y'know, 'cause it's certainly not their fault for not knowing what they wanted in the first place.

Comment

I think you summed it up perfectly with "WTF"?
      ~a lass unparallel'd~

Comment

You mentioned they didn't speak English very well.. The only thing I can think of that has even a tiny bit of logic in it, is the race thing. Well, even that doesn't make sense, really..

Comment

This was Alex's FAMILY that threw a fit in the shop? Not only is that inexcuseable SC behaviour but it's made a dozen times worse that they were his family members.
          That's twice the dose of disrespect.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
            This was Alex's FAMILY that threw a fit in the shop? Not only is that inexcuseable SC behaviour but it's made a dozen times worse that they were his family members.
            That's how I read it, too, at first...then I figured it was meant to read "Alex has a family in"...I could be wrong but I don't think it was anyone Alex knew...
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post

uhh.. no. Did I type that? not his family.. just some random sucky family.. I edited.. sorry for the confusion..
              I will never go to school!

Comment

Quoth PupuTupuna View Post
                The only thing I can think of that has even a tiny bit of logic in it, is the race thing. Well, even that doesn't make sense, really..
                Probably the reason. They took the trashing of the food to indicate that Alex felt that because the food had been in their possession that it now had xeno-cooties on it, and was no longer good enough for your regular customers.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                  Probably the reason. They took the trashing of the food to indicate that Alex felt that because the food had been in their possession that it now had xeno-cooties on it, and was no longer good enough for your regular customers.
                  That, or maybe one of those families that takes wasting food as a serious no-no, for any reason.
                  Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

I take wasting food as a moderately serious no-no, but good Lord... If it bothers you that badly, suck it up and eat the crumb cake. Then again, you'd think that it would be common sense to realize a cafe couldn't resell food that had been handled, but common sense so rarely comes into play...
                    Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth ShadedWings View Post
                      That, or maybe one of those families that takes wasting food as a serious no-no, for any reason.
                      So, they then threw the cake at him, and stormed out, and that's perfectly fine?

A cake they paid for, if I'm not mistaken. So, at worst, now someone has a mess to clean up. But you are richer as a company.
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                      X