Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For several years both my parents and my father's business numbers were the same. It only changed when they moved away.

I remember one time my mom took a call for a no heat I guess, the customer's phone number was the same exact except the last number. I asked her when she hung up if she had people call with numbers like that. She said yes, in fact a lot of customers give the business phone number.

I had a couple of weekends when I had to act like a secretary. Both weekends were when my parents were gone, before and after the on-call periods from Oct-Apr. Turned out on the weekends I had the same rights mom does to get the other employees to go out and check out what's wrong. I didn't know that, costing dad one of his best customers. I found out after they got home.

The second time an employee tried to take care of it, but I don't know what happened, because it didn't sound like we did that kind of work, especially when the guy wanted a paper and pen.

Comment

My friend L shares similar numbers with a pizza/subs place. She has a normal answering machine, y'know, her father saying "This is the M residence, please leave your name, number..." etc. and they once got an order for a pizza. On their message machine.

The angry voice went something along the lines of, "I don't know why I have to leave a message to order a pizza, but I want a large pepperoni pizza delivered to..." etc.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        I love it when people get mad at us because they dialed the wrong number.
        But it IS our fault, for having a number that is so easily confused with the one they want to dial!!

Quoth draggar View Post
        It gets better when they call right back and get even more mad at us.
        Tons of laughs. I have to start selling tickets and popcorn.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My old number was very close to an insurance agency, and we got so many reports of accidents. I don't know why these people thought an agency would have a message that started, "Hi, you've reached John and Rappunzill..." Oh. Wait. SC's don't listen.

Also, I had someone call me once with the following exchange:

Me: Hello?
          Him: (slurred) Hi. Is this the...beer...store?
          Me: Um...no.
          Him: It's not?
          Me: No. Sorry.
          Him: Well, can I get some beer?
          Me: No. Goodbye!
          We have enough youth. How about a "Fountain of Smart"?

Comment

Had a call on my parents' phone...
            J: Me.
            SF: Selling Fax machines

J: Hello?
            SF: Hi, do you own a copier?
            J: *blink* ... Nn-nnoo-oo, when we have need to copy stuff, we run it through the fax machine.
            SF: Well, can you transfer me to whomever's in charge of ordering equipment?
            J: Gonna be hard, he's out of town currently, and you're calling a residence.
            Sf: *silent beat* Oh. *click*
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I had it happen once where some lady left a message on my answering machine, asking to speak to a manager, and left her account number. She didn't go into detail though, so I have no idea what business she was tryin to reach.

Comment

I've had this one three or four times in the 5 years we've had our current phone number:

cast of characters:
                me =
                si = stoner idiot

me: "Hello?"
                si: "Yeah, um, is this the drug dealer?"
                me: "No, it's not."
                si: (let down) "Oh..." (sounding hopeful) "Well, you got anything good?"
                me: "No..."
                si: "-expletive-" *click*

Seriously, who calls up their supplier and asks if it's the drug dealer speaking?????
                Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post

It gets better when they call right back and get even more mad at us.
                  My mom answered the phone one day (several years ago now) and it was a woman asking for a Drs. office.

Mom explained to her that she had the wrong number - this was a private residence.

Wash, rinse, repeat a couple of times. What does my Mom do on the third go-round?

Looks up the number in the phone book and gives it to the lady.

That's one way of getting it across: they know they have the wrong number, but in a nice way. And, as a bonus, they have the CORRECT number.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth WHShit View Post
                    Ooh...a WoW player! I must admit that I don't much play WoW, but it is cool to have someone else on the CS board that enjoys RPG's!

As you can tell from my "avatar" I am an Elder Scrolls fan. Namely Oblivion as it is the latest one out!

You ever play Oblivion? I am probably as obsessed with this game as any WoW player could be. I have the tattoo...yeah, and I am a girl...extra sad.

I got WoW bought forme for my birthday from the work-experiance kid at..um..work. I created a character and am paying for it every month but hardly play. Maybe I should.

Sorry....I got all excited at another RPG fan!

I can't wait for Fable 2!!!!!!!
                    * Is waiting for Warhammer online *

(Ex-DAoC user, joined when the game was collapsing)
                    Linux user (Debian and Kubuntu)
                    Programmer in C and perl!

I'm "only" 16 but do NOT try and outskill me with machines

Comment

Quoth solemnwarning View Post
                      (Ex-DAoC user, joined when the game was collapsing)
                      I'm overly-amused with the fact that you said "user" instead of "player."

I'm an ex-undead rogue from WoW, and nowadays I occupy myself with Lord of the Rings Online.

Comment

When my grandmother lived with us, it was not unusual to get calls from doctors' offices. One night around dinner time, I answered the phone, and heard (what I thought was) "This is the doctor's office" so I said "Yes?". The guy started asking something and I realized he had said "Is this the Dr.'s office?" I stopped him and said "I'm sorry, you have the wrong number." Before I could explain further he called me an asshole and hung up.
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I got a message on my answering machine once left by some woman who apparently doesn't recognize her own daughter's voice!

I had another one that left several messages about somebody's tractor or something being ready. I would have called them back, but they never left a number or company name. I wonder if the other guy ever got his tractor?
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth the lawsmeister View Post
                            What you do then is keep them on the phone as long as possible and run up their long distance bill.
                            I would and I like your way of thinking and all... but I wanted to get back to my game :P

Speaking of which, yes WHS, I've played RPG games since Pokemon first came out. Since then, I've played Star Wars Galaxies, Knight of the old republic, several gameboy ones whos names escape me right now, but never Elder Scrolls.

You should try playing WoW a little too.. it's awesome. Ifyour on the American/Australian servers, feel free to send me a PM and I'll tell you which server/side/race and character I am.

Oh yes Draggar, these people can do no wrong, they can make no mistakes, they are perfect (pfft). If my numbers listed somewhere it shouldn't be, then don't get mad at me. Get mad at the bussiness or other listing that gave the wrong number. If you dialed the wrong number... for crying out loud... admit your wrong and hang up.

It is possible that this dude dialed the wrong area code (Area code? technicly it's "state code" lol :P) But if he was trying to call locally (in his state) then the area code isn't needed... and he did quote me my entire number, including the area code. I don't know.

I had another one that left several messages about somebody's tractor or something being ready. I would have called them back, but they never left a number or company name. I wonder if the other guy ever got his tractor?
                            I had that once Pegan. Some hospital wanted some girl to call them right away, something about being important. No one here could make sense of it.
                            Last edited by Jacen; 09-04-2007, 11:49 PM.
                            MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Rappunzill View Post
                              My old number was very close to an insurance agency, and we got so many reports of accidents. I don't know why these people thought an agency would have a message that started, "Hi, you've reached John and Rappunzill..." Oh. Wait. SC's don't listen.
                              They sure don't.

Back when I was living alone in my first apartment, I had an answering machine greeting that said something like, "This is Mike. I'm not home now, but if you leave a message, I'll call you back."

After getting several messages for other people who I did not know, I changed it to something like, "Hi, I'm not home right now. If you're calling for Mike, leave a message and I'll call you back. If you're trying to reach someone other than Mike, you have the wrong number."

Wouldn't you know it? I'd still get people leaving messages for people other than myself, although I think some of them were my friends being smartasses.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I'd later find out that my number was one digit off from the local rape crisis center.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

So last night I get home and check my answering machine . . . lo and behold their is a message . . . now it was kinda hard to understand what was being said . . .but I figured out how they got the wrong number . . .yes folks it was drunk dialing at 3 in the afternoon . . .
                                At least it was an entertaining message about what he wanted to do to Pat . . .when Pat came over cause he didn't feel like driving at the moment.
                                Sorry dude you call the wrong number - Pat won't come over and play with your ahem "Rod of Manhood"

Comment

Working...
                                X