• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
    me: "Hello?"
    si: "Yeah, um, is this the drug dealer?"
    me: "No, it's not."
    si: (let down) "Oh..." (sounding hopeful) "Well, you got anything good?"
    you: "Sure do. Fresh air and exercise. Went to the toy shop today and got a frisbee and a stunt kite. Can't wait to get down to the park."

What... that's not what they meant?
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

::runs in:: ooooh, a WoW player. I <3 me some WoW. ::runs to the off-topic WoW thread she just found out about::

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
        pre caller ID and when you only had to dial 7 digits to get any local number (vs 10 used now)
        10 numbers? Where do they use that for local numbers?
        "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
          They use that down here in Southeast FL.

Comment

I'm in IL and we have to preface any outbound call, even from a residence/cell phone with the area code, even if you're calling within the same area code your calling from. It's sucky. Especially when I have to 91 to get out at work before the number, and have a tendency to try to do that at home, as well.

Though I believe on landlines around here you have to dial 1+area code+phone number. Yeesh.
            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
              "Well, you got anything good?"
              "NyQuil, it's the only thing that tastes like red and green. And what are red and green? That's right, Christmas colors."
              And it will knock your ass out. Just like grenadine.
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Everywhere in Maryland I've ever been, for years and years now.

Comment

My parents' number was close to the phone number of a neighboring family that had a lot of drama (prefix of 795 vs 793), and my mother is one of those people who will talk to wrong numbers for hours. That added up to lots of amusement. It was her version of a daily soap opera, every day she'd wait to find out who was calling for who, what the gossip was, etc. Sometimes she'd stir the pot: "(female name calling for male name)? He's not here, he's out with (name of other female that calls the wrong number)".

Funny thing is that went on for YEARS until the other family moved away or their kids' friends finally learned how to dial a phone.
                  "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                    Let me get this straight... they didn't think the fact a KID answered the phone was strange?

LadyAndreca: thats what I'm guessing happened here, but come on... I obviously had no clue what he was after... most people would have figured out they had the wrong number by then.

Thing is, Caller ID showed the number as clearly a Sydney/NSW number. I live about 3 hours south of Perth in WA.
                    Sydney to Perth by plane is about 4 hours.

Definitely wrong number
                    Total surrender
                    Your touch is so tender
                    Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                    And it brings me relief
                    "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                      "NyQuil, it's the only thing that tastes like red and green. And what are red and green? That's right, Christmas colors."
                      And it will knock your ass out. Just like grenadine.
                      "NyQuil is the best ever invented, isn't it folks? Other brands say 'We know you have a little kid inside, so now we have cherry and orange and grape flavours..' NOT NyQuil! Still comes in the original green death flavour!

NyQuil NyQuil NyQuil! We love you, you giant Q!"
                      Check out my webcomic!

Comment

In the Dallas Ft Worth Metroplex . . . . and that is just your local . . it can be long distance (1+) dialing for a location that is a 20 min drive away . . .
                        Due to all the cell phones, fax lines, internet lines, residential, and business lines . . .all the phone numbers got used up. So we have more than three area codes for the area . . .214, 972, 469, and 817 are the ones on top of my head.

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
                          "NyQuil is the best ever invented, isn't it folks? Other brands say 'We know you have a little kid inside, so now we have cherry and orange and grape flavours..' NOT NyQuil! Still comes in the original green death flavour!

NyQuil NyQuil NyQuil! We love you, you giant Q!"
                          Ahh Denis Leary. He's very funny when he's not ripping off Bill Hicks.

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                            Let me get this straight... they didn't think the fact a KID answered the phone was strange?
                            Think about it....they were calling a movie theater....have you SEEN who works at most movie theaters? You going to tell me that over the phone you can tell the difference between an 11 year old and a 14-16 year old? Sometimes yes, but oftentimes, heck no.

Quoth BaristaGirl View Post
                            The angry voice went something along the lines of, "I don't know why I have to leave a message to order a pizza, but I want a large pepperoni pizza delivered to..." etc.
                            Back in the old apartment, our landline number was 1059. One of my favorite restaurants in town was 1061. (Everything else being the same, of course.) And every now and then we would get a call for them. Most people would be slightly embarrassed, but we would give them the correct number, and they'd be on their way. But one time we got a message on the voicemail leaving information for a reservation....but no return number! Quite amusing to me. But then I remembered we had caller ID, and I tried calling that number...only to hear a message that those folks were on vacation in Key West, so leave a message!

Just about every major metropolitan area in the US at this point. Living in North Dakota, you may not have been infected...er, uh affected by that yet, but it is pretty common most places nowadays.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

I'll admit that I don't go to movie threatres that much (Last time I did, I was about nine) but I do remember adults (30/40+ working there)

Here in australia, the full land line (and mobile, I think) number is 10 digits. The area code (08 for wa for example) is not required if calling within the state. Used to be 6 digits when I was growing up. But now it's 8 (10 for the full number)

Sydney to Perth by plane is about 4 hours.
                              Lol. I meant 3 hours by car.

Back in the old apartment, our landline number was 1059. One of my favorite restaurants in town was 1061. (Everything else being the same, of course.) And every now and then we would get a call for them. Most people would be slightly embarrassed, but we would give them the correct number, and they'd be on their way. But one time we got a message on the voicemail leaving information for a reservation....but no return number! Quite amusing to me. But then I remembered we had caller ID, and I tried calling that number...only to hear a message that those folks were on vacation in Key West, so leave a message!
                              A very bad case of selective hearing? I assume your message had your name or something similar on it :P

(Same with how I answer with hello)
                              MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                                Just about every major metropolitan area in the US at this point. Living in North Dakota, you may not have been infected...er, uh affected by that yet, but it is pretty common most places nowadays.
                                OH, I see, the area code. Yea, don't have that problem here. The entire STATE of North Dakota is the 701 area code. You only have to use it if calling long distance. (As a way to acknowledge that you understand you will be charged long distance.) Most cell phones in the area here use the 218 area code, but since all the prefixes for the 218 area code aren't used in the local 701 calling area, calls are automatically routed to the 218 code so you don't have to punch it in for that either.
                                "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Working...
                                X