Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Road Closed to Thru Traffic" applies to YOU!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth hecubus View Post
    I can vouch for that. What I don't understand is, it seems that, most of the time, they're working on the same parts of the same streets over and over again. I'll never understand why they can't get it right the first time. I guess they're creating their own job security; do a half assed job, and you'll have to fix it again and again.

You know, they say the sun will burn out in 5 billion years or so. That's a shame, because then the road crews are going to have to work in the dark.
    not trying to get too political, but chances are, your streets were done by union workers contracted by the city/county/state, depending on who is responsible for the roads in your area.
    "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
      The other guy didn't have a boat or anything large enough to spare... so, what did he come up with? Home-made spike strips! The cops gave him permission to do it too!

He took some old wood boards and hammered several large nails in them, spraypainted the whole things bright red, and anchored them into the ground using corkscrew anchors.

It was nice of him/a shame that he painted the setup red and not green.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post

It was nice of him/a shame that he painted the setup red and not green.
        well, his thought process was likely to prevent people from going on his lawn in the first place. If he had just painted it green, they would have still driven over the lawn, thus still inflicting damage, and then they'd also be stuck because of flat tires.
        "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
          Make sure you have a videocamera handy so you can broadcast it on YouTube.
          Yes! I too would love to see that!
          "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
          ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth hecubus View Post
            You know, they say the sun will burn out in 5 billion years or so. That's a shame, because then the road crews are going to have to work in the dark.
            I hope you don't mind, but I am stealing that for a sig right now. That is hilarious!

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
              you may be the "Orange Barrel Capital of the World", but the saying here in MN is that we don't have 4 seasons, we have two. Winter and Road Construction.
              hey that saying was stolen from Chicago. Hell I lived through the Kennedy, Stevenson, Ryan, Tri-State, I-55 (st. louis to chicago redo back about 25 years aro) I-290, I-80, I-88, ETC. construction/destruction projects and the funny thing is IS THAT THEY ARE ARE ALL STILL BEING WORKED ON CONTINUIOUSLY!!!!!!
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                hey that saying was stolen from Chicago. Hell I lived through the Kennedy, Stevenson, Ryan, Tri-State, I-55 (st. louis to chicago redo back about 25 years aro) I-290, I-80, I-88, ETC. construction/destruction projects and the funny thing is IS THAT THEY ARE ARE ALL STILL BEING WORKED ON CONTINUIOUSLY!!!!!!
                When my wife and I were up there for our honeymoon last year they were just getting ready to start the Dan Ryan Expressway construction project. From what I heard it was supposed to be a major overhaul that was going to cause a LOT of problems for that area. I was VERY glad to see the sign say "Starting Monday May 22" instead of going up once it started (we missed it by one day).
                Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

I'd like to see one of these morons tires get the shred treatment, then the driver get out and start screaming about the damage, at which point the property owner calls the cops because, ".....some guy just recklessly drove up into my yard, then got out and started screaming threats to me."

Then, the idiot gets his ass hauled to jail!

Mike
                  Meow.........

Comment

Quoth gregmaddux17 View Post
                    Do you live on a corner?
                    It's a large curve on a very busy 2-lane highway. I think I've had every make and model vehicle in my yard at some time or another, including semi trucks. A few years ago a garbage truck slide into the ditch in front of my property because he parked too close to the edge while picking up the garbage.

One time when my mailbox was hit the woman dragged it, along with the mail still inside, down in the ditch. We had to dig the box out from under her car so I could get my mail.

I used to have 'reflectors-on-a-stick' at the end of my driveway that were always getting run over. I got tired of replacing them so I bought two 8' landscape timbers, put reflectors on them and buried them half-way into the ground surrounded by cement. That way when some idiot hit them, they'd know it.

I'm just evil that way.
                    Last edited by Retail Associate; 09-07-2007, 05:52 AM.
                    Retail Haiku:
                    Depression sets in.
                    The hellhole is calling me ~
                    I don't want to go.

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
                      I got tired of replacing them so I bought two 8' landscape timbers, put reflectors on them and buried them half-way into the ground surrounded by cement. That way when some idiot hit them, they'd know it.

I'm just evil that way.
                      THIS

also replace the flimsy mailbox post with a construction girder or a concrete post.
                      DILLIGAF

Comment

Quoth Lehk View Post
                        THIS

also replace the flimsy mailbox post with a construction girder or a concrete post.
                        I am reminded of the time my uncle was having issues with kids playing mailbox baseball. It got to the point where he was replacing his mailbox almost every other week, and he was understandably ticked off about it. After a little thought, he bought two mailboxes, one large one (with a 12" or 15" opening, and 18" deep) and a smaller, more normal size one. In the larger, he poured a nice amount of concrete then set the smaller into the concrete. Basically, when finished you would open the large mailbox to access the smaller one, with a thick layer of concrete insulation between them. He then set the whole thing on a brand-new iron-pipe post, also concrete filled. One dent and a slightly leaning post later, he hasn't had any problems with it in years.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                          He then set the whole thing on a brand-new iron-pipe post, also concrete filled. One dent and a slightly leaning post later, he hasn't had any problems with it in years.
                          Reminds me of the scene from Superman after the guy hits him with a crowbar. "Bad vibrations?"
                          A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

We had a similar problem with out BRIGHTLY COLOURED posts out front of our shop - wood with yellow and red tape on them. About every two weeks we'd have to get one shorted a little because someone would cheerfully break it off with their bumper.

We changed to metal ones and after three dented wings and busted bumpers, no more trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbmJi3ROKk

The link is for some automatic bollards in Manchester (the original one in the UK with loads of rain) which are set to retract for official vehicles (post office vans and buses etc). You can see the consequences.

Rapscallion

Comment

I always considered putting a baby alligator in the mailbox......considering my father's on-going battle with the mailman.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                                The link is for some automatic bollards in Manchester (the original one in the UK with loads of rain) which are set to retract for official vehicles (post office vans and buses etc). You can see the consequences.
                                Oooh... that's classic!

^-.-^
                                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                                X