This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "you MUST tell me your last name!"

I always seem to get these kinds of calls around the end of my day....

M = Moi
    SC = queen of sucktitude

M: My name is Steve, can I get the cell phone number please?
    SC: Who is Keith and why am I talking to him? (oh the witty replies to that I could give you)
    M: My name is STEVE, who were you expecting to talk to? (thinking she may have a wrong number)
    SC: (up until this point she spoke in a normal tone, at this point in the call she went straight to "Bitch" mode) "Well where is Mike?"
    M: Mike?
    SC: Yes! I was talking to someone called Mike for 15 minutes, he put me on hold and then I end up talking to you. Please connect me back to him!
    M: I apologize but I can't do that, we don't have direct extensions here.
    SC: Look, I was just talking to Mike and now you expect to me to explain this all over again to you?? Get me back to Mike!
    M: I just told you ma'am, I have NO WAY to get you back to Mike, but I'll do my best to help you.
    SC: Get a manager on this line!
    M: Ma'am if you would just tell me what the problem is perhaps--
    SC: I said get a manager!
    M: very well but can I get the phone number first?
    SC: Are you deaf? Get me a manager!
    M: Ma'am no manager will come on this call until I open your account (this is absolutely true by the way)
    SC: (gives me her info so fast I can barely make it all out but I manage to verfiy her)
    M: Ok thank you, now it will just be a moment for a manager. (since i've already tried to get her to tell me what the issue is)
    SC: What is your name?
    M: (wow, you were listening well at the start of the call weren't you?) My name is Steve.
    SC: Ok, what's your last name?
    M: Last INITIAL is S, my employee ID is 66553
    SC: I said your last NAME, not initial
    M: Ma'am I don't give out my last name.
    SC: Oh yes you do! (oh really now?) You have to give me your last name!
    M: Ma'am I'm not obligated to give you anything more than I already have.
    SC: Oh yes you are, Mike gave me his last name and you must too!
    M: I am NOT giving you my last name, you have my name and employee ID, that's enough to identify me.
    SC: I do have your information, good thing too, because I WILL be reporting you for this! (Oh no, I'm so scared, I'm going to be reported for following POLICY!) Now get me a manager.
    M: Very well. (resists every urge in body to add "you stupid bitch")

So the Sup gets on the call and (surprise!) promptly gets asked for his name and ID too. He refuses to provide his last name but did manage to figure out what the woman wanted (which I could easily have done if she had given me a chance) and guess what?

1. This woman was part of our "gold program" (not actually called that) that recognizes our "best customers" by providing them a specialized customer care department to use. So she wasn't even in the right place to begin with!

2. This woman had somehow gotten into the "gold program" with two lines and a bill of $90/month. WTF?

When dealing with companies over the phone, mistakes happen, calls drop, they get disconnected by accident (and sometimes on purpose), but the point is sometimese you lose a call. I understand it's a chore to go over something with someone again but I have never had anyone get so angry over this at this woman did.

For the record our corporate policy requires we only provide our first name, last initial and employee ID. We can CHOOSE to give our full name if we want, but we aren't required to by any means. I have a last name that is not very common, so uncommon in fact I consider it a security risk to myself if I give it out. I don't care how much you beg, I AM NOT GIVING YOU MY LAST NAME!

Can you tell this woman pissed me off a bit?
    Last edited by CrazedClerk; 09-06-2007, 01:04 AM.

At my work, we're not supposed to give it out but sometimes if they're really insistent, and just plain prickish, I make up a last name to give them.

Let them run around in circles for awhile trying to get Paul Alwazari-kaminsky in trouble
    Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Some times, I don't mind giving out my last name. But that's usually when they repeat 'my' name back to me, and call me 'Pam?' ... 'Sure.'
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I've had people ask for my full name before, or anything aside from my first name. I just give out my standard reply, restate my first name, and advise them that I do not have an extension or id number (which is both untrue, but I never remember my id number, and if I give out an extension, I'm always afraid some newbie will actually not know the rule and transfer someone directly to me. It's happened before, to coworkers...) but if for some reason someone needed to find me here I will be making a full note on everything I said during the call, which is required by my company, and since you do know my first name, and the call is recorded, if needed my supervisor will know full well to whom you are referring to. So no, you cannot have anything but my first name.

That is beside the point of people threatening to come down and to bodily harm to myself and/or my building. Another good reason not to give out full names. Though it was incredibly funny when my coworker actually stated to someone who threatened her "You're more than welcome to come over to my building and 'discuss' this personally with me, but I will advise you since you are in Ohio and I am in Pennsylvania, it might be a few hours drive. I'll still be here when you get here though." That sure shut them up.
        Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

No way IN HELL would I give out my last name to a customer. In this world? With all the freaks out there populating this world? No way IN HELL.

What a rotten c*nt that woman was. Sorry you had to deal with her.
          Herewith, a nugget of wisdom from the very wise Mike Brady: "Alone, we can only move buckets. But if we work together, we can drain rivers."

--
          mannabozo.wordpress.com

Comment

"Smith. Goodbye !"
            A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
            - Dave Barry

Comment

I wouldn't give out my last name to a rude customer, or a customer I didn't know well. I've given it to nice people before. The lady I'd given it to had even met my father years ago and recognized that when I said it. It was nice. ^.^ But, she's a nice regular, always sweet, almost always leaves tip, never complains about price... And we've talked before when she's there and I'm picking up my paycheck or something.

But there are several customers I can imagine not giving my last name to. I have a very unique first name, so I don't think I'd ever be asked for it, but it's still a request that buts into your privacy. If this board has taught me one thing, it is not to envy people who take your phone calls for a company. Any company. XD And people who sell cell phones.

Comment

If pushed, I usually give out my GBRPG character last name--Stantz. Hey, the first two letters are correct. It (still) amazes me how few people get the reference.

It does help the unreasonable jerks to ID themselves to the owner though
                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 09-06-2007, 01:29 PM.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I don't even like to give customers my FIRST name if I can help it. I don't meet someone and five seconds later start calling them "Sue" or "Bob". It just feels overly familiar to me.

I'm starting to think I'm old-fashioned.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Which last name do you want? The one on my hospital birth certificate, the one on my "official" birth certificate, my future last name, or my fantasy last name?
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I have been asked for my last name by a customer after ringing her up. She said he shad a complaint about me. I told her she can just lok at my cashier ID in the receipt and they will know who it is. She still demaded my last name, I said no. You have my cashier ID and First name that is all I need to tell you.

Comment

My last name is on my nametag.

Comment

i've had people come in when i worked in the store and say "you're gene's daughter, aren't you?"...

they were always people my dad worked with and they knew i worked for b&n and recognized me from the pictures in my dad's office...

can't say i've ever been asked for my last name, and my first name was on my nametag (when i wore it...)

now when my phone rings, 9 times out of 10 it's my boss, who is literally less than 50 feet away in his office...
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                            It (still) amazes me how few people get the reference.
                            "Ray, when someone asks if you're a god... you say YES!"

I was about to ask if you're actually my friend Megu, who absolutely loves Ray to death. However, her last name doesn't start with St.
                            Last edited by Imogene; 09-07-2007, 12:02 AM. Reason: Added more info.
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
                              My last name is on my nametag.
                              Get it off. Get it off! GET IT OFF! There are w-a-a-a-y too many nuts in the world to just be giving them ammunition.
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X