This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You Owe Me 51 Cents!"

Ok, so right at the start of my shift today at The Ice Cream Store From Hell, I was just standing there minding my own business, setting up the blenders and everything, when this Miserable Old Hag approaches the counter.

Me: Can I help you?
    MOH: You owe me 51 cents!
    Me: I'm sorry?
    MOH: You overcharged me last week!
    Me: Ma'am, I'm sorry I'm afraid I really don't remember you..
    MOH: But I remember YOU! *she squints to look at my name tag* You overcharged me, and I want my 51 cents!
    Me: Um, when was this exactly?
    MOH: When WAS this? Oh, let's see..LAST SATURDAY! You overcharged me and never gave me my senior discount!

*Side note: Policy is that we're really only supposed to give a senior discount if the customer requests. We're not supposed to automatically do it. This prevents people from being insulted if you think they look old enough to get the discount. So chances are, if this woman didn't get a discount, it's because she didn't ask for one*

MOH: Give me my 51 cents!
    Me: Ma'am, I can't just give you 51 ce--
    MOH: Never mind, make me *insert stupid ice cream drink order here* and GIMME A SENIOR DISCOUNT!

So, I make her damn drink and ring it up with her precious discount and tell her the total.

MOH: Did you deduct the 51 cents that you OWE me from last time?
    Me: Ma'am, I CANNOT just give you 51 cents out of the drawer. I would need manager approval and at the moment our manager is out.

At this point I was going to just ask her for her contact info so that when the manager came back they could hassle with her over the freaking 51 cents, but thankfully she just took her drink and stormed out. And what made her assume I would remember a transaction that occured a week ago, especially since this was the very first I've heard of how I supposedly "overcharged" her. Just because she remembered my face doesn't automatically make hers all that memorable. And, if her 51 cents was soooo important, why didn't she bitch about it THE DAY IT HAPPENED? Why wait a week? Stupid old bat

Yeah, it's been a long day. I don;t even wanna THINK about how hellish tomorrow will be. If only I could just sleep all weekend.
    "Penny Lou Pingleton, you are absolutely, positively, permanently punished! You will live on a diet of saltines and tang, and you'll never leave this room again....Devil child! Devil child!"

LAME

It's just 51 cents! Old codger!
    Check out my cosplay social group!
    http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Duh, you were the high point of the week! Of course she'd remember you? And you'd remember her because she's your favouritest person ever! So of course she was mad when she found out she was sorely mistaken. And as for waiting a week? It's her weekly trip! (Hence it being the high point) And she figured she'd be able to just go next time and get her 51 cents.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

So she expects you to simply hand over 51 cents, without a reciept, credit card statement, anything that would allow you to verify the fact that she even bought anything from you guys? Brilliance

Quoth CreepyCarrie View Post
        MOH: But I remember YOU! *she squints to look at my name tag* You overcharged me, and I want my 51 cents!
        Something tells me that you might look like the person that allegedly overcharged her. I wonder if she got you and someone else confused. Do you look like somebody else that works at the store?
        I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Next time say, "Well, I pay your social security, so you owe me over 8% of all my wages paid since you retired."
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Haha

Nah, I don't look like anyone else that works there, because everybody else is either obviously older than me or they're guys. Methinks she was reading the nametag so that when she calls and complains about her precious 51 cents she'll have a name to blame. I'd like to hear how well THAT conversation goes.
            "Penny Lou Pingleton, you are absolutely, positively, permanently punished! You will live on a diet of saltines and tang, and you'll never leave this room again....Devil child! Devil child!"

Comment

I was waiting for you to tell her something like, "That's really impressive that I overcharged you last week, seeing as today's my first day on the job!"
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Last October, when I was still at Hasting's, some woman came in to pick-up a special order. Turns out, it wasn't the right one and she was insisting that I had placed the order. Well, I looked up when the order was placed. Oh, joy! I got to tell her that it couldn't have been me as on that date I was on the Isle of Arran....off the coast of Scotland....several thousand miles away. Plus the fact that one of guys had placed the order. It's been many, many years since I was mistaken for a boy. (Unfortunate haircut when I was little.) Warmed my little heart to hear her very quiet apology!
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

We had an old lady walk up the the CS desk one she demand that the clerk give her the $3.57 we supposedly overcharge her last MONTH. She did not have a receipt or the item so the clerk refused. Two managers and 20 minutes later she leaves, empty handed, but not before asking us to reimburse her for the gas she used. The only reason she cam by is to get her precious refund.

Comment

Lets do the time warp again?

well clearly the old lady's mind is still in the 1950s when 51 cents was enought to buy a new *insert moderatly expensive item here*. Aside from that i can't think of a resnable excuse for such cheapskatidness (yes i just invented a word)
                    Oh yeah? well you have a gambling problem! - Homer Simpson

Protect the beef - Various <prestige> warlocks

Comment

Just after I got back from holiday last year, I got someone coming in saying I'd overcharged them, blah blah blah.
                      I was genuinely concerned- sometimes it happens, that while our till does it all automatically, sometimes you overscan and don't notice, or the price is wrong on the system.
                      So I asked him what it was, if he had the receipt, all that stuff..
                      He answered
                      'I don't have a receipt! You should know what I got cause YOU overcharged me!'
                      'Me personally, sir?'
                      'YES!'
                      'I'm sorry, when was this?'
                      'JUST THREE DAYS AGO!'
                      Ha. HAHAHAHAHAHAH.
                      Oh, yeah, I get to shoot one down...
                      'Sir, I wasn't even HERE three days ago. I was on holiday. In a completely different part of the country. And as you don't have a receipt or any proof of what you're saying I'll have to get the manager to talk things through.'
                      When I came back out to the shop floor with the manager he was gone.
                      Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth Eggmont View Post
                        well clearly the old lady's mind is still in the 1950s when 51 cents was enought to buy a new *insert moderatly expensive item here*. Aside from that i can't think of a resnable excuse for such cheapskatidness (yes i just invented a word)
                        Beat me to it, Eggmont. Betcha she moans at how gas is ten times as expensive as it should be, too.
                        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Eggmont View Post
                          well clearly the old lady's mind is still in the 1950s when 51 cents was enought to buy a new *insert moderatly expensive item here*.
                          Reminds me of that Simpsons episode with the 19th century "99 cent store" with the grand piano in the window.

In all seriousness though, this woman knows damn well what 51 cents is worth today. Apparently its the going rate for her dignity.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                            Reminds me of that Simpsons episode with the 19th century "99 cent store" with the grand piano in the window.
                            Oh, yeah...the episode where Bart and Nelson are Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. They don't show that episode NEARLY enough.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Eggmont View Post
                              Aside from that i can't think of a resnable excuse for such cheapskatidness (yes i just invented a word)
                              Actually, I think you just invented two new words, Cheapskatidness and Resnable. May I define Resnable?
                              *waits, looks around*
                              Okay, heretoforward, Resnable shall be defined as: What a customer thinks is right, but the cashier knows is against the rules.
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X