X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Case of the Runaway Turd: A Novel

This one's a doozie. And a dookie, too.

About a month ago, a woman came to our establishment and purchased merchandise to be shipped to her home, out of state (Louisiana). She was in her 50's or so, was sort of an aging Southern Belle type - very high maintenance, with designer bag, frosty helmet-hair, too much perfume, etc. She was buying quite a bit, so I was trying to be helpful and un-pushy. I was lugging around her merchandise from aisle to aisle, fetching things for her when she pointed, etc. I was trying to be patient and accommodating, but was definitely put off by her very stoic, cool, and haughty demeanor. There just wasn't any reason for it and she seemed quite self-entitled. I just told myself I had dealt with far worse - her attitude was more annoying than infuriating, anyway. At one point, she asked to use our restroom and we let her (we don't like to extend this courtesy since most patrons seem to make the room a Jackson Pollock with their urine, but we felt obligated).

She comes out of the restroom, says she's going out for a moment, she'd like to see what out competitor has to offer, down the street. What does one say to such a thing? My middle finger was ready to spring, but I resisted.

After she leaves, my employee goes to use the bathroom, comes back out, looking infuriated and disgusted, and informs me that there is a turd the size of a Christmas yule log on the floor. It looked to him as if she had dropped one on the floor and then nudged / rolled it behind the toilet bowl to hide it. The poor thing put on a carpenter's dusk mask (as if that would help diminish the stink) and proceeded to poop-scoop.

Lady came back from her comparison-shopping with our competitor, and coolly ordered me around the store some more. I finally rang her up things, and she was on her way, nose held up high as she breezed out the door. None of us mentioned the gorgeous gift she had left in our bathroom. I figured it was best to forgive only because she knew exactly what she had done and I had nothing to gain by humiliating her further.

Lady calls a week later. She'd like to know the name of our competitor down the street. She's forgotten. Also, do we have their phone number???

Lady calls up yesterday. I was out of the office at the time, but she got my mother on the phone. Apparently, she had complaints about a couple things.

Complaint #1) She's dissatisfied with the quality/construction of the merchandise. (Er, this is 4 weeks after receiving the items, BTW). She demands a return.

Complaint #2) Why had I given her a discount on her bill? She had never asked for a discount! (I had given her an automatic discount on some items since that is our general store policy for big sales over $500. Well, kiss my grits bitch, it was an act of goodwill!)

Complaint #3) She demands that we fax her a copy of the invoice (even though I had given her the original the first time she'd been in). We try to fax it, but it just rings and rings and never picks up. Lady calls us and tells us there is something wrong with our fax machine. We keep her on the phone while we fax it a 2nd time (we hit "redial" on the fax machine, mind you). It goes through. Obviously, there was nothing wrong with our machine. She just likes to tell everyone else that they are wrong, they are to blame, they suck.

Lady says she's calling American Express (the charge card she had used) and filing a complaint against us for our rude service.

I ask you this: COULD THERE BE ANYTHING RUDER THAN TAKING A SHIT ON SOMEBODY'S FLOOR, AND THEN COMPLAINING THAT YOU WERE OFFENDED BY THE GENEROUS DISCOUNT ON YOUR BILL???

I should have saved that turd so I could Fed Ex it back to her...
    Last edited by wheresmysanity; 09-11-2007, 10:17 PM.

Quoth wheresmysanity View Post
    You think she'll recognize it? Obviously, it don't stink for her, so, just shit in a box and send it to her. That's what we call guaranteed car parts.
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Is this woman for real? Seriously this sounds like an episode of Punk'd or something where they keep on going at you to see where you'll finally snap. I simply cannot fathom this. Not that I would ever be in that situation, but if somehow I managed to drop a deuce on the floor, I'd try something to clean it up. If embarrasment were to overwhelm me, I'd run from the store, never to be seen again, just sending some anonymous cash as a small token of apology; certainly not making ridiculous complaints.

Just wondering, did she wear adult diapers or something? Maybe she was trying to empty it and it slipped. Sorry for the visual, I'm just trying to figure out how this act would be possible.
      Last edited by evilhomer; 09-11-2007, 11:35 PM.
      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
      Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Oh my God, I'm laughing already at the responses!!!

Yes, there's a can't-beat-it-with-a-stick irony that she acts like her shit doesn't stink, when in actuality, we know very well that...it does stink. Like a septic tank in the deepest pit of hell.

Oh, and you know, I thought about the whole "diaper" scenario. That maybe it was a just a terrible, terrible mishap - which is exactly why I continued to be polite to her after the fact. I didn't want to rub it in her face (pardon the pun). But then again, if that had been ME (for whatever reason, in whatever unearthly dimension), I would have had the decency to clean it up myself instead of kicking it behind the toilet! Apparently she felt it was our responsibility to curb her hot mess. Vile, vile woman.

If American Express calls us about this complaint she's supposedly filed, I'm forwarding this thread on to them.

Comment

Well, if she wins or doesn't win her dispute, I'm sure the people at AmEx will certainly have a good laugh.
          This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

It doesn't sound like she's putting in a dispute (nor that she'd have a case considering that she was charged less than her actual total purchase). It sounds more to me like she's putting in a complaint about "rude" conduct, the store is not worthy of being an Amex retailer because the staff is too rude to card members. Forward the story on to Amex and see if they consider her to be a model Amex card member.

Really rub her face in it. Hey, you got that one started
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
            Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Complaint #3) She demands that we fax her a copy of the invoice (even though I had given her the original the first time she'd been in). We try to fax it, but it just rings and rings and never picks up. Lady calls us and tells us there is something wrong with our fax machine. We keep her on the phone while we fax it a 2nd time (we hit "redial" on the fax machine, mind you). It goes through. Obviously, there was nothing wrong with our machine. She just likes to tell everyone else that they are wrong, they are to blame, they suck.
              You should've also taken a picture of the turd on the floor, and faxed that to her along with the copy of the invoice.

And added a personal message like "Just to show we haven't forgotten you" or something.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Apparently she felt it was our responsibility to curb her hot mess.
                *sigh* No one believes in Mr. Hanky, the Christmas poo.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Why would a credit card company care if a store employee was rude to one of their customers?

Do they pay a larger yearly card fee to ensure that the world treats them like superstars?

What a dipshit.

Once frosted helmet hair has come into the picture, expect horrible grossness to occur.
                  Total surrender
                  Your touch is so tender
                  Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                  And it brings me relief
                  "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Heh, it would've been funny if, when the fax "didn't go through" the first time, your Mom would've said "Oh POO!! Let me try again!

Mike
                    Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
                      Heh, it would've been funny if, when the fax "didn't go through" the first time, your Mom would've said "Oh POO!! Let me try again!
                      I can just see the lady's complaint showing up on PFB:

"To Whom It May Concern,

Your employees rudely gave me a discount after lugging around all my items for hours on end. I will, however, mention that you have a nice store.....

...for me to poop on!

Sincerely,

The Mad Sh*tter"
                      "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

She comes out of the restroom, says she's going out for a moment, she'd like to see what out competitor has to offer, down the street. What does one say to such a thing? My middle finger was ready to spring, but I resisted.
                        You have the patience of a saint.

After she leaves, my employee goes to use the bathroom, comes back out, looking infuriated and disgusted, and informs me that there is a turd the size of a Christmas yule log on the floor. It looked to him as if she had dropped one on the floor and then nudged / rolled it behind the toilet bowl to hide it. The poor thing put on a carpenter's dusk mask (as if that would help diminish the stink) and proceeded to poop-scoop.
                        This was when you could have brought your poor coworker a box and some wrapping paper...or at the very least, a paper bag. That way, you could re-gift her Christmas yule log. Nothing says, "Thank you for treating us like garbage and crapping on our floor, in addition to calling back and complaining about a FREE discount" than a flaming bag of your own poo.

That would be worth it just to see the look on her bitchy face.

i am so sorry this had to happen to you.
                        check out my new blog!!!!

http://pitofdespairblog.blogspot.com/

feel free to comment/send me the links to your blog!

Comment

I like that one Kara. I think this is one of those times you just had to log this.
                          I like to scare small childeren, it's fun and as long as you can out run the parents you can get away with it.

Comment

Listen, www.dogdoo.com is supposedly untraceable.

I'm serious.

No, really, I really am serious.

Comment

This is why I love this website!!!! On the verge of losing my mind, the hilarity of the responses help me regain my sanity!!!

I'm off to look at dogdoo.com right now. RIGHT NOW.

Comment

Working...
                              X