This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My husband the SC. (ARGH! LONG!)

Our son's 2nd birthday is this weekend. Since our family don't really mix we decided to have 2 parties. My mother in law is even letting us have the party at her house since packing my husband's clan into our house makes a tight squeeze. With my family over half won't come either due to the drive or cause they have to work.

There is a bakery in our neck of the woods that makes what I long ago dubbed Crack Cakes. These people make cupcakes and such that are just plain addictive. We've used them since Hubby and me's wedding and have promoted them a lot. When the in-laws needed a baby shower cake for me, they went there. When the local college was cake hunting for a function, we promoted them. Any time someone has needed a cake of some kind in the area we have promoted this bakery.

I called them on Monday after I'd gotten a final head count on how many folks we'd be having at both parties. Instead of ordering 2 cakes that would leave us with a lot of leftover cake, my husband and I decided to order a bunch of cupcakes to split between the parties. I placed an order for 25 cupcakes. 15 for the hubby's huge family and 10 for my smaller one. Even this is technically more then needed but it never hurts to have extra eh? Now the place is also a small restaurant and I called about 1ish after putting the minion down for a nap. This is during the lunch rush but I honestly was more worried about my chronic forgetfulness then catching them at a good time. I placed my order without any problem.

Wednesday I get a call from the bakery. They are calling to tell me that I can't have cupcakes ordered basically. I freely admit to becoming very confused at first till it occurred to me that it's Memorial Day weekend and that they probably had a ton of orders for fancy deserts (they do specialized cakes and the like). Most places have a set number of special orders they can do and I'm probably taking up a spot with my order of 25 regular cupcakes.

However the conversation quickly goes downhill. I'm told that I can't have an order AT ALL. I can walk in on Saturday and buy 25 cupcakes. This confuses me more. Conversation went something like this.

ME: To make sure I understand you correctly. You can't put 25 cupcakes to the side on Saturday and mark them with my name so I can come in and buy them. I have to just walk in on Saturday and hope you haven't been mobbed for cupcakes and that you'll have 25 to give me?

WORKER: Yep, but don't worry we never run out of cupcakes.

Me:

You never run out of cupcakes...this is suppose to be comforting? It's Saturday and you said yourself that your not open on Sunday or Monday when everyone is going to be having parties needing cupcakes or cookies or any other sweet you guys make. GAH!

I don't understand this policy. However I have never worked in a bakery, so I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume this policy is in place for a good reason. I mentally shuffle my schedule to be at their door obscenely early on a Saturday when they open to get my cupcakes. I'm going out of my way to make sure my guests have the best cupcakes I can get on my son's birthday.

That night after a nasty day of life kicking the crap out of me I tell my husband about the situation while venting mildly about my day.

He seriously blew up! He started going on about how could they treat us so horribly after all the business we'd given them. How the owner would not have had a store if not for us (when we got married the owner was working out of her home). How if they were going to treat their customer's this way we'd go to Jewel down the street and get cupcakes. He even had the gall to say how if he'd treated his clients in such a manner he'd be out of business. I had to resist the urge to point out that he really shouldn't compare his job which is helping government employees use their software and fixing it when it breaks with a bakery job. He doesn't work with the public day in and day out, he works with the same people EVERY DAY.

Anyways he's up in arms over the whole thing.
    I'm pretty much sitting there silently fuming at him being a jackass. I learned long ago never to bother trying to argue opinions or the like with my husband because eventually he'll adopt the mentality of "I'm right and your an idiot" even when there is no actual wrong or right!

We have a mild disagreement over the whole thing where I explain to him that they must have the policy in place for a good reason and he shouldn't expect that since we've praised them and recommended them to folks that we should be special. Sound familiar?

Yeah...I seem to have married a SC.
    "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Hubby is so mean!

Of course I don't see why the bakery couldn't set your cupcakes aside, so they're being kinda jerky too. (I used to work in a bakery, they should be able to accomidate your request with no problems.)

I like good cupcakes, what's the bakery called? (I used to go to one in NC called Patty Cakes. They have the best cakes I have ever eaten.)
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      Hubby is so mean!

Of course I don't see why the bakery couldn't set your cupcakes aside, so they're being kinda jerky too. (I used to work in a bakery, they should be able to accomidate your request with no problems.)

I like good cupcakes, what's the bakery called? (I used to go to one in NC called Patty Cakes. They have the best cakes I have ever eaten.)
      Sweet Dream Desserts. A good bakery is almost impossible to find where I live since I'm literally in the middle of no where. Corn fields and the bare bones of stores is what we get. So unless I really want Wal-Mart or Jewel-Osco doing my cupcakes I'm going to them.

As far as cakes go. Yeah they win that race hands down. I think best reaction goes to a friend of mine who is gay mind you.
      "Oh my God! THEY HAVE WHITE CREAM IN THE CENTER!"
      It sounded so very wrong yet right coming from him.
      "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

White cream.... centers.....
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Well, this seems like a really stupid policy, but what're you going to do? Although, I would like an actual explanation. Understanding a situation makes it much less infuriating.
          And I say make your husband work at the bakery for a while.

This reminds me a of time long ago. I was mixing paint for a lady, and I get a call from a CW telling me someone needs a layaway done, and whoever it is is being a jerk. Well, I'm busy, so I call my other CW and ask her to do it, and I apologize for sending her into that.

The lady I'm helping overhears me on the phone (because I'm standing two feet away) and says that her husband is a real jerk to service people because he never had to work in the service industry. She then went on to say that people should have to work retail for a year when they're 18 or so (which is something I've said for years).

I wanted to cry or hug this lady or something. Hearing my own rhetoric coming out of a customer's mouth was the best thing ever.
          Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
            She then went on to say that people should have to work retail for a year when they're 18 or so (which is something I've said for years).
            My former boss used to say that. She thought that everyone should be drafted into either retail or fast food for 6 months before they turned 21. I've always agreed with her.
            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

What a pain, Mamadrae.

I too would be a little worried about the whole flippant 'Oh, we never run out of cupcakes' comment. Maybe you should get some ingredients to make them yourself just in case?
              Mike: I'm gonna tell my boss I'm Puma Man, maybe he'll let me off early.

- "Puma Man", MST3K.

Comment

First they took the order, and then call you up and mention that you cannot order from them. And on top of that you can walk in and hope that they have 25 cupcakes. Yeah I would be pissed off also.
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

A bakery that does NOT take special orders? WTF?
                  Not even if you pay for them ahead of time? I have honestly never heard o fsuch a thing. I can see holding aside a set amount, then putting them back for sale if the customer does not come for themat a certain time (if they are not paid for, that is) but I can't see refusing a special order.
                  Frankly, the bakery sounds a bit sucky for that way of doing business.
                  Your husband may have over reacted, but he sounds like he was feeling angry for yet one more thing hurting YOU, and he felt he was defending you.
                  I hope the birthday turned out perfectly for you anyways!
                  I no longer fear HELL.
                  I work in RETAIL.

Comment

I don't really see what he did wrong. I mean, it's not like he went to the bakery and made a big scene, just fumed at home. I don't agree with his 'special service' comment, but otherwise, I (as in the one who didn't have to hear the rant at home) would prefer if everyone complained to their spouse about a store policy instead of to the employees. It would work out well for me, because I don't have a spouse. Except then I wouldn't get to complain...

Comment

I think thats sucky of the bakery actually

they are going to have cupcakes made anyway, you are garunteeing them a sale

what if you offered to pay for them beforehand?
                      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

i would have asked why? was the order to small? because no offense if they place orders at all for advanced pick ups not allowing orders be tacken for cupcales is just wrong and kind of stupid
                        so that teacher who has 35 kids and a bunch of parents for a special mothers day (remember 1st grade) is suppose to just hope and pray you have 70 cupcakes ready and able to be bought. with plain white frositng or none at all so her kids can decorate them for the mothersday brunch?
                        so all the partys that love you and want to give oyu money just have to take a hike?
                        honestly doesnt seem worth it...

Comment

Yeah, asking "why" seems fair.

Also, if he didn't go make a scene ... how is he an SC?
                          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth Mamadrae View Post

Wednesday I get a call from the bakery. They are calling to tell me that I can't have cupcakes ordered basically. I freely admit to becoming very confused at first till it occurred to me that it's Memorial Day weekend and that they probably had a ton of orders for fancy deserts (they do specialized cakes and the like).

I am confused---while I understand it is a resauraunt/bakery---most places prefer call you call ahead for large orders. Let's say you go in and take all of their cuppy cakes, and there is none left for the next person---that is also baaaad customer relations---makes the business seem un-reliable????

BTW your hubby hasn't been sucky until he actually goes off on the poor guy behind the counter whose job it was to call you or better yet goes off on someone who knows nothing about the situation...that would be un-awesome suckiness. Right now he is just a wannabe
                            Tamezin

Comment

I'd also say the suck is more on the side of the bakery than on your husband's. I know that I'd be annoyed at their policy - I mean, where's the point?
                              You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Working...
                              X