This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "This is false advertising!"

Currently, we are having a sale on our used DVDs (to clear them out). Buy two DVDs, get three free. Which is a pretty sweet deal, regardless. As with any buy-something-get-something-free deal, it's always something of equal or lesser value. This holds true at every store I've ever been to, I mean the store's got to make a profit, right? So why would anyone give the more expensive items for free? It's just bad business...

SC: Sucky customer
    MOD: Manager on Duty

(This all happened after she had spent approximately 30 minutes hunting through the DVDs for the five she wanted, with the help of not only MOD but another coworker).
    SC: I'd like to purchase these two and get these three for free. (She places two DVDs worth $4 each and the three she wants for free are upwards $9, one of which is a box set for a TV series).

MOD: It's going to choose the three cheapest DVDs to give you for free. The computer does it all, there's no way to override it.

SC: That's not what it says on the sign. It says buy two, get three free.

MOD: Yes, but they have to be of equal or lesser value.

SC: It's not on the sign. That's false advertisement!!

MOD: Actually, it should be on the sign. Let's go take a look. (He walks out onto the floor and shows her that, directly under the size infinity huge ad font, in tiny fine print, it does indeed say "Free DVDs must be of equal or lesser value."

SC: I can't read that! And who would have thought to look at the bottom of the sign to see that!? It's false advertisement!! You lost my business today! I ain't buying anything.

MOD: Yeah, well these sales are normally like this. Sorry to hear that, ma'am.

SC: It shouldn't be so small that I can't see it. It's false advertisement.

MOD: Well, that's corporate's fault. If you want, I can call them and chew them out for you.

---

Of course, as soon as the SC leaves, he puts the phone down and shakes his head.

I wonder if car advertisement are also "false" because they have so much fine print and it's only on-screen for so many seconds...
    Last edited by kiokushitaka; 05-25-2008, 02:47 AM.
    This message brought to you by a hopeless pop-culture-obsessed social reject.

No. This is a "flawyer" who desperately needs to visit the optometrist for some desperately-needed coke-bottle glasses.

Besides, everybody ought to know you get the cheapest ones for free and the expensive ones are the ones you get charged for. Otherwise, at the local shoe store which always seems to be running "second pair half price" sales, I could buy a cheap pair of flip flops and get a pair of expensive Nikes for half price.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I know! I could barely contain my disbelief. How can anyone think something that naive? This woman was well into her 40s, maybe even 50s. I'd expect this sort of idiocy from a child, perhaps... they don't seem to understand the value of money, let alone how sales even work. But this woman? Was she just trying to stir up a shit storm or what!

I think some people are just born belligerent.

Comment

Quoth kiokushitaka View Post
        MOD: Well, that's corporate's fault. If you want, I can call them and chew them out for you.
        Hilarious.

Quoth kiokushitaka View Post
        I think some people are just born belligerent.
        And then pass it on to their children.
        Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Personally, I think he should have given the SC corporate's number... though I would have liked to hear what corporate had to say about this.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this SC would have known how it works. She was just trying it on. As you know the SC motto is "If I make enough of a scene, the manager will just give in to me". Unfortunately managers give in so frequently that SC's have their bad behaviour reinforced.

Comment

Sounds like a scammer to me. No one that old does not know any better.
              I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
                Sounds like a scammer to me. No one that old does not know any better.
                Wanna bet?
                Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Actually, most of the hobby shops I frequent *do* put on their signs that the cheaper item is free. Guess they got tired of dealing with idiots
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

The bold print giveth...

...the fine print taketh away.

Apparently this SC has never heard of reading the fine print.

Of course, some people even ignore signs that just about jump up and slap them in the face....
                    Know why it's called the American "Dream"? 'Cause you have to be asleep to believe it! --George Carlin

Comment

YESYESYES! Or the very famous "Are these games buy 2 get 2 free too? Why not its ride beside the bin? What about this game that is $21.99? But it was in the bin labeled 9.99 and under?" People must not believe it is possible to move one case to the other, or cases off the wall and place them in the bins.

Comment

Ack, I can't believe the nerve of some people. We got this all the time at Media Play. Can I get two $9.99 DVDs and get the $30.00 DVD for free? And it wasn't once or twice. I'd get a handful of people asking EVERY SHIFT when we were running a special. Blech.
                        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

This is why I loathe these types of deals. It's a great way to move inventory but causes unnecessary junk like this on the employees.

Comment

whatever...

We have that at my store where six bagged salads are on special, the BOGO. Of course, people fail to read which six they are, and pick whatever they like (I'm surprized people don't just get 2 organic salads..."Well, they're salads!?!"). Even the hanging green tags don't help much, they just take what they want.
                            HI, I'M NEW TO ALL OF THIS wave of approval ™©®

Comment

Ah. Memories of the dreaded "Friends Fly Free" fare.

Buy a ticket at the full fare and your companion flies free (taxes and fees apply)

Of course people would try to book the advance purchase sale fares which of course didn't qualify for "Friends Fly Free" and then get all pissy when I told them as much.

SC: And I'd like to use that with the friends fly free.
                              ME: I'm sorry, our friends fly free fare is based off the full fare.
                              SC: Isn't that what I got?
                              ME: No you got the 7 day advance purchase fare.
                              SC: How much is the full fare?
                              ME: It's $xxx.xx
                              SC: That's not friends fly free!
                              ME: it's still a great deal, very comparable if you bought 2 of the advance purchase fares. Plus not as restrictive.
                              SC: That's false advertising! (where've I heard that before)
                              ME: Sorry you feel that way. The fare rules are placed in the ad. Sorry if you missed them.
                              SC: All I know is it says friends fly free! And what you're trying to sell me ain't friends fly free. What kind of rip off organization are you running there?
                              ME: Again I'm sorry you feel that way. However I think you'll find that most buy one get one offers are based on the full price.
                              SC: That's just bullshit! You guys are nothing but a rip off! (CLICK)

Seriously if you divided the full fare in half there could be a five to ten dollar difference either way between that fare and our best advanced purchase fare.

I was so glad when we decided to get rid of that sale for good.

Of course then we got:

"Don't you have that friends fly free?"
                              I don't like your attitude!
                              Yeah? Well you're not EATING my attitude!

Comment

Working...
                              X