Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wherein Duct Tape Should Have Been Used (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein Duct Tape Should Have Been Used (long)

Oh. My. God. I swear I will NEVER be a parent like this. This just...this hurt my head. Sorry if this is a bit rambly as well...haven't been able to sleep well anymore and my brain is a bit foggy. I cannot WAIT to have this kid and be able to sleep comfortably again.

This was the week before last...

So I'm visiting my mother who works at a hotel not 20 minutes from where we live...and I noticed she's EXTREMELY frazzled. Turns out theres a soccer tourney in town...a KIDS soccer tourney.

Almost like magic...as soon as she tells me this I hear this massive stomping noise from the ceiling and its so bad the light fixtures start shaking. Yes...it's them. And they're playing soccer in the hallways on the second floor. Apparently my mom tried to get them to stop due to the complaints from the other customers....but the parents of said brats griped at my mother about it. So to avoid any complaints against her, she had to back down. (Her boss is...a bastige to put it nicely. He hates her guts because she does such a good job she makes him look bad. Any minor complaint about her, he blows out of proportion and gets her in HUGE trouble.)

As we are still talking, suddenly the elevator doors open and the only word for what happened next was KID EXPLOSION. They suddenly were EVERYWHERE, screaming, running, knocking stuff over...you name it. My jaw dropped. Parents come down the elevator a few minutes later, chatting leisurely. Like a swarm of bees, the kids converge upon the adults and start screaming "I want Wendys! I want Applebees!" etc etc. One particularly ambitious youngster screams "I WANT KABUTO'S!" (Kabuto's is a hugely expensive Japanese steakhouse in the area. Entrees start at like $30.) Oh dear god, I think, the screaming masses are about to destroy the area restaurants.

As the screaming intensifies, I look at one of the parents and say "Um, trying to talk here and I can't even hear myself THINK. Do you mind?" Woman flips me a finger, and a look, and tells kids to shut up. (To be fair, it was a single finger but she did it so fast I couldn't see which one. But I'm fairly sure my guess at which one would be correct.) The noise doesn't abate one bit. Joy.

Just then a pack of boys comes from around the corner, cackling and glancing at my mom. Elbowing of ribs and knowing glances abound. Oh great...wonder what happened...

Finally they all leave. Damage check! Let's see....ripped magazines, trash everywhere, water fountain has overflowed...and we find out what the boys did. Turns out they went in the public bathroom and stuffed half a roll of toilet paper into the toilet and tried a "Will It Flush?" episode.

At this point, we had to leave...and my mother refused to let me try and help clean up any of the mess. (Hello...I'm pregnant...not an invalid!...but she still wouldn't let me help )

We decided to skip eating out for lunch, since we figure any place we go to will probably be swamped with the buggers. But hey, we need to return some Blockbuster DVDs, right? Thats a 10 minute drive away...it should be safe.

Key word there was should.

At Blockbuster I proceeded to make an idiot out of myself asking about National Treasure 2 (it wasn't even out yet...I did an overly dramatic /headcounter that made the employees crack up)...when I hear this faint screaming and stomping that gradually is getting louder. Oh dear god...no...no...not THEM.

Yes...through the doors burst a good ten of them. And the parents. Oh JOY! One of them happens to be Special Mother. I look at the Blockbuster guys, extend deep sympathies...and haul to grab my new rentals as fast as I can. Poor guys...the kids ended up:

-- overturning a candy machine (WTF those things weigh a TON)
    -- ripping the I Am Legend cardboard display (I feel bad for the person whose name was on the Post It on the back...)
    -- BREAKING, yes breaking, several of the plastic cases on the "New" DVDs that BB sells.

That last one took the cake. Special Mom had the gall to act horrified that "the cases are so "flimsy" and complained that the shards could hurt a poor child. Hm...guess the manufacturers need to start working in safety measures for when kids JUMP UP AND DOWN ON THE CASE. Idiot.

From what I heard later from my mom...they caused TONS of damage to the rooms...and she had to comp several other rooms who complained about the noise. And of course...they did nothing but complain to the manager about her.

Seriously...people like that make parents look bad. UGH. Flipping SCs...
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

I'm horrified. Really and truly horrified.

Those parents need to sued for damages and banned from the CITY. Seriously.
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Totally have to agree...even though technically they pulled these stunts in TWO cities. Gotta love it when two giant cities merge into each other.

Comment

Holy shitaki mushrooms batman!

Why those little ! I would have turned on those little buggers so fast their GRANDPARENTS would be spinning in their graves! AND I would have charged each and every single credit card on those rooms for damages! Little rat .
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Seconded. Where was this? I think it was mentioned in a thread a while back that there are still laws in effect for banning people from entire cities...they need to make better use of that.
          Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
          --Unknown

Comment

I would hope that a SMART hotel would charge all involved parties every penny involved in the cleanup. Down to the supplies and cleaners used, not just labor.

Comment

Why do I have flashes of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds and George Romero's Dawn of the Dead, all at the same time ?
              "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                Holy shiitaki mushrooms batman!
                Wow, you're turning into ME, EQ.

Comment

After this, I bet the hotel doesn't do business with large groups of kids and their parents anymore. Not when they have to pay to repair damage and replace broken items and comp rooms and lose nights from people pissed off at the noise and chaos and choosing to stay elsewhere.

With the way the parents seemed to be behaving, you could charge their credit cards for the damage but they'd refuse to pay it and open disputes with their credit card issuers. Their pweshus widdle angels would never do something like that.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                    Wow, you're turning into ME, EQ.
                    Nah, I just figured that changing "Holy Shit!" to "Holy [item] Batman!" was more funny.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      After this, I bet the hotel doesn't do business with large groups of kids and their parents anymore.
                      ....Don't count on that. The guy who runs that hotel is an idiot. Gotta love chain hotels that are independently owned.

Quoth karath View Post
                      Seconded. Where was this? I think it was mentioned in a thread a while back that there are still laws in effect for banning people from entire cities...they need to make better use of that.
                      Virginia...and I just moved here so not a clue if they have anything like that, lol. Considering there's a major college here though...I doubt it.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        With the way the parents seemed to be behaving, you could charge their credit cards for the damage but they'd refuse to pay it and open disputes with their credit card issuers. Their pweshus widdle angels would never do something like that.
                        Oddly enough I just dealt with this. A guy made a reservation (via crs [central reservations i.e. the 1-800 number) for the next day and never showed up. So we charged him for the room on the credit card that he used to hold the room with. Later, we get something in the mail at work telling us that the guy is disputing the charges because, supposedly, he never made the reservations. In order to get our {the hotels} money, we have to show them proof that he did make the reservation.

I found the guy's reservation sheet (because it's always printed within minutes of a reservation and stored in a book just for this reason) and now we're waiting for my Accountant to come in (tomorrow) to take care of the rest.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                          One particularly ambitious youngster screams "I WANT KABUTO'S!" (Kabuto's is a hugely expensive Japanese steakhouse in the area. Entrees start at like $30.) Oh dear god, I think, the screaming masses are about to destroy the area restaurants.
                          I've been to Kabuto's, probably that particular one you are describing since I live Virginia, and yes, it's expensive, but I love it because the chefs cook the food in front of you and do tricks with it - Awesome!

Quoth Seraph View Post
                          so not a clue if they have anything like that, lol. Considering there's a major college here though...I doubt it.
                          I don't think there is...... though I could be wrong. And which college are you describing? There's a few major colleges in Virginia.
                          Last edited by Aramika; 05-25-2008, 10:00 PM. Reason: added stuff
                          "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                            -- ripping the I Am Legend cardboard display (I feel bad for the person whose name was on the Post It on the back...)
                            I feel bad for them too. The people who destroy this stuff just think of it as stuff, not something that other people would treasure. I have a Corpse Bride display stand that I love (it is taller than me, and I am tall).

I hate behaviour like that, I have seen it and unfortunately been on the receiving end of it (while at work and watching a film at the cinema).

Thinking like this of the youth of today makes me feel much older than my 24 years should. It really wasn't like that when I was a boy

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                              Nah, I just figured that changing "Holy Shit!" to "Holy [item] Batman!" was more funny.
                              But did you have to use Shiitake mushrooms? Just so long as they aren't fudge-dipped.

Comment

Working...
                              X