Clear All

Becks Seal of Approval.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

That cop makes me feel all tingly inside. There's nothing quite so terrifying as that deathly calm silence.
      Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Glass bowl: $50, greed: $0, getting arrested for assault on a federal employee, assault on a police officer, destruction of private property, theft of first class mail: PRICELESS!

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
          Now I get it, though. What next, customers are going to grab paper weights and scream "MINE! YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!" with that zombie look on their face, blood splashing everywhere, hissing violently like a feral cat?
          Yes. I can SO see that happening, with some of the customers I've seen.
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Sad thing is all she'll get is slap on the wrist:

Assault of the Federal employee (aka the carrier) ... 50 hours community service, with 2 year probation standard.
            Assault of the Police officer ... probably won't stick as she did not intend to make contact with the officer. (and technically SHE didn't.)
            Damage of private goods ... Costs of same + $100 to $500 fine.
            Public Nuisance Charge ... another 50 hours community service, probably served concurrently to the previous issued.
            Theft of Mail (1st Class) ... won't stick as she can claim she didn't know about the mail inside said item. (as stupid as that sounds...benefit of the doubt always goes to the defense though.)

So in total she probably gets 50-100 hours community service, 2 years probation, and a $100-$500 fine + costs of damaged goods.

That's if she has a clean record previous of course...
            *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
            *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

OMFG...

I would LOVE to have a video of her expression as the realization sinks in as to what she just did and the amount of trouble her antics just got her in.

And the cop's response was priceless!

Luckily it seems there were no serious injuries. It could have been MUCH worse with broken glass/pottery.

Comment

Quoth Leopardmadcat View Post
                Assault of the Police officer ... probably won't stick as she did not intend to make contact with the officer. (and technically SHE didn't.)
                With that thinking, if she threw something at the police officer, she could claim she didn't mean to, and she didn't technically touch him, so all is good?

Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Witnesses would make the difference, in such a case. Lying while testifying under oath isn't exactly a smart move, and while some people might want to make such a dumb person eat dirt, I'd bet the risk/gain ratio isn't satisfactory enough for any one to try and pull that kind of stunt.

Witnesses would state that the carrier accidentally fell backwards, that the woman was unaware of the cop's presence and therefore not intending to hurt him.

If she threw something at a cop and there were witnesses, they would be able tell, by the body language of the woman, the way she threw the object, etc. if she intended to hurt the police officer or if she just had a lousy shot which happened to land on a cop (which could still get her into trouble, but this would probably not count as "Assault").
                  "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

I say any punishment, even if its just community service, is worth the thought.
                    So many times that behavior goes unchecked with nothing done/able to be done in responce its nice to see something actually done to the perpetrator.

Comment

I would think that her defence would claim that she didn't realise the item was not for sale, that she wasn't aware that it contained mail and she had no intention of hurting anyone, in fact the whole thing was just a big accident. I imagine she will get off scot free.

However the anxiety at being charged with these offences and any legal fees she has to pay are certainly punishment in themselves.
                      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Even if it's an accident, she's still responsible for the damaged goods, which she hopefully will have to pay.
                        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                          With that thinking, if she threw something at the police officer, she could claim she didn't mean to, and she didn't technically touch him, so all is good?

Not quite. She didn't intend to knock the officer down. Now, if she threw something at the police officer, then she obviously intended to throw something AT the police officer. Clear difference. Though I am not sure why she would want to do such a foolish thing.

Although I am all for punishing the stupid, I believe she should get a slap on the wrist. Other than being greedy and being sucked into the herd mentality (neither of which is illegal), there was no malicious intent.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                            I say any punishment, even if its just community service, is worth the thought.
                            So many times that behavior goes unchecked with nothing done/able to be done in responce its nice to see something actually done to the perpetrator.
                            /agree

I don't think this lady needs to go to jail for a few years or anything. If she gets all the community service and has to pay for the damages, that's good enough for me. I'm thrilled she got any come-uppance at all. (But if she gets completely screwed, that's fine too.)
                            Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

I dunno. Depends if the judge or jury is of the "ignorance is no excuse" frame of mind. Just because I don't know that the car I'm stealing has a baby in it doesn't mean I also won't get charged with kidnapping. But I think they'd have to prove intent, also.

Probably won't actually end up with any hard time, especially if she pleads guilty, shows remorse, yada yada. But the experience will probably shake her up pretty good.

Comment

The "lady" in question shoved someone, in a crowded store, with merchandise (seemingly) in close proximity. Even if she never wanted to hurt anyone, she should have realized that the results of her actions could very likely cause that to happen.

So while I'm not saying she should be tossed in a prison cell and the key lost, I hope they do more then just slap her wrist.
                                Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Working...
                                X