Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indicators... should be used before you start turning!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indicators... should be used before you start turning!

Short one this:

A few times over the last few weeks I've had to scramble to get across the road before a vehicle reached me. Why? Because they will only turn their indicators on once they are *already* half way through turning the corner.

If I wait until they are far enough that is impossible I'd never get across that road - its just too busy and I tend to be waiting a good 5-10 minutes already. If I don't I risk some annoying person derisively flicking their indicators on after they've already started turning the corner into the road.

My only alternative route home would include two just as busy and difficult crossings to avoid this one.
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

You're lucky they use indicators at all. A friend of mine in NC often sees drivers in her area turning with absolutely zero indication to anyone else around. It's either that, or they turn them on five miles before they turn. Either way...Learn to use them properly!!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Here in Georgia, the joke when the Olympics were here was "You can spot the foreigners. They use turn signals."
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
        Here in Georgia, the joke when the Olympics were here was "You can spot the foreigners. They use turn signals."
        I'd look like a foreigner then. Cos I use them... and call them "Directional Lights". What can I say... I was taught to drive by my Dad, who was born in the tail end of the 20s. I are teh old fasioned sometimes.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          I'd look like a foreigner then. Cos I use them... and call them "Directional Lights". What can I say... I was taught to drive by my Dad, who was born in the tail end of the 20s. I are teh old fasioned sometimes.
          Same here. Although, I am worse than a foreigner, I'm a D*** Yankee.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Pepper--I thought you were in your 20s!
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              Maybe dad's a slow starter...
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                You're lucky they use indicators at all. A friend of mine in NC often sees drivers in her area turning with absolutely zero indication to anyone else around. It's either that, or they turn them on five miles before they turn. Either way...Learn to use them properly!!
                True that.

The other half of the drivers we have here couldn't tell you where the knob is for the turn signals . . . apparently they must be installed on the car for decoration.
                Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 04-24-2012, 01:33 AM. Reason: can't spell worth a damn tonight
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Right up there with geniuses that pull out into a lane halfway, and *then* stop to make sure there is no on-coming traffic....
                  There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I detest all forms of signal failure, it's rude and ignorant.
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Yes, one of them didn't signal and drove into me Sunday, as I posted. I just hope she learned her lesson.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Hopeful, but doubtful - they've probably already convinced themselves it was your fault for not anticipating their stupidity
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          True that.

The other half of the drivers we have here couldn't tell you where the knob is for the turn signals . . . apparently they must be installed on the car for decoration.
                          When we moved down to NC over 10 yrs ago (has it been that long?) we were forwarned about that tendency. Of course, the other side of that are the ones that have the turn signal on and don't mean it.
                          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            Quoth dalesys View Post
                            Maybe dad's a slow starter...

Actually... yes he was a slow starter. Just not *that* slow.
                            I may act like I'm 12 but I'm really 39. not yet over the hill, but approaching the hump.

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                              When we moved down to NC over 10 yrs ago (has it been that long?) we were forwarned about that tendency. Of course, the other side of that are the ones that have the turn signal on and don't mean it.

You'll find plenty of the other too, unfortunately.

Even worse are the ones who don't know what a Yield sign is. My mom was nearly killed 30 years ago by a dumbass who blew by a Yield sign and cut right in front of her car so close that the front corner of Mom's 1973 Lincoln Continental hit the ass end and pushed the car about 40 feet.

Lucky for my mom there were witnesses who told what happened to the officer at the scene and the SOB had a no limits policy.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X