Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now is the time for a description of this strange religion called football. The description is called "What it was, was football."
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      - religious connotations for describing physical causes for weather events and wind patterns (as opposed to direct causation by a Power)
      We get this one where I live.

Once I overheard a conversation at school where people were talking about how the Newspaper neglected to mention that the hurricane approaching us (rare in Georgia) was God's wrath, rather than a weather system from the African coast .
      There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Nah, the stands are under the jurisdiction of the stadium security.
        exactly. also the entire property is under the jurisdiction of the security or the stadium managers etc.

like for once baseball game i saw on tv... there was a floodlight that was interfering with the game but it was not on the stadium property. they could ask the building owner to turn the light off but they couldn't demand it.

likewise for another game i heard about (i think Toronto vs NY in the blue jay's stadium)... there was a hotel attached to the stadium and was part of the property. Some of the rooms faced the ballpark and you could actually watch the game from the rooms. Likewise, you could also see INTO the rooms from the stadium... One amorous couple had to be told to close their curtains (they may have "asked" however just to be polite but if i'm not mistaken they could have had the couple removed if they didn't comply ... pretty much because the audience would be able to see the couple having sex)

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          Anything can be turned into a "religion." Anything.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must finish my preparations for the Feast of Maximum Occupancy.
          This is why we love you

And on that note, in that particular episode, Moe says he's a snake handler....I just thought that it was a similar joke sorta like religion being a football, until I looked it up and learned it was an actual practice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_handler

As for football being a religion? Depends on what you call football Some people here worship soccer (football for you European folk), some people here worship Australian Rules Football...and some people worship Gridiron (American Football)
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

As has been mentioned, football certainly is a religion to some people. So is the other football (soccer), so is baseball, or hockey, or basketball, or curling, or skiing, or skating, or competitive ice dancing, or whatever.

Me, personally, I don't understand that mentality, myself.

Also: apparently Jesus Christ is a big football fan, just ask the people at Notre Dame.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              I must finish my preparations for the Feast of Maximum Occupancy.
              Have I mentioned lately that I you?
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                This is why the South gets a bad name.
                No... *NASCAR* is why the South gets a bad name

Seriously though, we have a few people locally that take football and hockey a bit too seriously. Yes, I'll watch Dem Stillers, and Da Penz, but that's it. I have better things to do with my time than memorize a bunch of stats. Oh, and the Pirates? I don't bother with them at all, especially 18 losing seasons.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                  Oh, and the Pirates? I don't bother with them at all, especially 18 losing seasons.
                  Be patient.

They're due!!!
                  Unseen but seeing
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I think the gene that enjoys sports got lost somewhere along the way with me. Some are worse then others. Like golf and tennis..those really confuse me how anybody can enjoy watching it (not playing, watching). Maybe it's my STS but 2 minutes in I am bored out of my skull.

I really really don't understand Nascar..watching cars go around in circles for hours? not my idea of fun. However, to each their own. If somebody likes football, good for them, just don't try to convert me
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                      I really really don't understand Nascar..watching cars go around in circles for hours?
                      That's kinda how I think of baseball, and I've even heard diehard baseball *fans* echo that sentiment...Certain forms of entertainment lose 90% of their interest factor when not viewed live and in person.

But yeah. I am definitely in the "to each his own" camp
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I never knew just how batshit crazy people were about sports until I lived in Pittsburgh. I remember far too clearly all the times I had to wade through the crowd of fuckers all over the Sixth Street bridge trying to get into the stadium (and who were all still there when I went back home too). And I was late to class on two occasions because of two different victory parades - one was right in front of my school and the entire road was packed with screaming fans in their best yellow-and-black. Needless to say, not even my usual mid-class caffeine was worth trying to brave my way through that.

Had I not needed to be outside those days, I would not have been. Goddamn everyone was out there t and I wanted to shove all of them into traffic. I also remember a few times when the Steelers lost and I heard gunshots near where I lived...fun times. Yeesh. Ehh, aside from the sports horse shit, I really do like that damn city.
                        Last edited by ShadowBall; 01-02-2011, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Certain forms of entertainment lose 90% of their interest factor when not viewed live and in person.
                          I love baseball. Going to games is one of the best experiences on the planet. I can also listen to it on the radio ( Uecker!), but baseball on TV can be boring. They're always telling you where to look. I want to see the weirdos in the stands on occasion.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            ...Certain forms of entertainment lose 90% of their interest factor when not played live and in person.
                            Like ing, ing and ing.

I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                              I love baseball. Going to games is one of the best experiences on the planet.
                              I've been to baseball games twice. For free. And I'm not sure I'd go a third time even if it was for free, too. Snooze city.

Tennis, on the other hand, is exciting to me. As is basketball. I'm not into football, but that can be fun to watch, too.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                                I really really don't understand Nascar..watching cars go around in circles for hours? not my idea of fun.
                                I never got into Nascrap, simply because I think that watching nearly identical cars going around in a circle 500 times is a bit boring. No, I prefer vintage sports car races. Mainly because there's so much to see==the shows, bands, the people I sometimes run into--other MG owners, restorers, etc. plus the action on the track. Prewar, postwar, the MG T-series race, Formula Fords, there's something for everyone.
                                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                                X