This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad flooring install...

*sigh* I have the worst luck with home contractors lately.

Before x-mas I had an HVAC tech take two trips to fix the same problem, and he weaseled his way into billing me twice for the labor, even though he mis-diagnosed the first time.

Our handyman, who we have used before and were happy with, did a sloppy job with drywall repair and painting. (I'm going to have to go over some of his drywall patches, and he got roller splatter on the floor after doing a ceiling.)

Now, I just paid $3k+ to have some fancy new flooring installed. This is a neat product called DuraCeramic; looks like ceramic tile, but it's easier to install, isn't as hard, and isn't as cold. However, it uses a vinyl wear surface bonded to a limestone/resin composite base material. Because of this, it's real easy to pry the wear surface off of the limestone. To avoid the wear surface being pulled up during install, the install instructions *specifically* say not to use regular tile spacers at tile intersections to keep an even distance between the tiles. They warn that the spacers will bond to the tile adhesive and damage the tile when you try to remove them. (They give instructions as to what to do instead.)

No points for guessing what the installer did... (His co-installer however used a different kind of spacer that didn't go all the way to the floor; those tiles are fine.)

Going over the job removing grout residue (that the installer should have taken care of) I notice that many of the tiles are chipped on the corners, where the spacers were pulled.

I'm estimating that about half - 2/3rds of the tiles are going to have to be replaced, probably meaning they are going to end up redoing most of the job. The sales guy (who is going to be by Friday to assess the damage) did not sound pleased.

I haven't paid for the whole job yet, and I sure am not going to until this is fixed...

take photos before he fixes them and attempts to charge you extra. keep the instructions for installation handy, receipts, etc. something tells me that you just might end up taking him to court.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
      take photos before he fixes them and attempts to charge you extra. keep the instructions for installation handy, receipts, etc. something tells me that you just might end up taking him to court.
      Judge Milian, meet sirwired!
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Well, the sales rep from the flooring store was here Friday. Took about one minute looking at the floor and didn't even hesitate, argue, quibble, or negotiate: "Yep, we are going to have to replace this floor."

He needs to talk to his boss (the owner) to give him a head's up, as he can't order gratis $2k worth of tile and two man-days of installer labor on his own authority, but he didn't anticipate any issue getting the work re-done.

I'm not happy it wasn't done correctly to begin with, but at least they aren't hassling me about re-doing the whole job.

Comment

Glad to hear that. I hate dealing with contractors.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
          X