X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Know You're Bored, But....

*not sucky, just annoying*

I usually take advantage of my night shift routine by running all errands during the week right away after work, any place that's open that early anyway, so I can avoid crowds and obnoxious people and kids.

I did have to wait a couple of hours for the mall to open the other day so I could get my ring sized. I drove to the mall, but for some reason, the jewelery store's gate was still down even at opening time, so I decided to shop a bit while I waited.

Understandably, it's right at opening and the only people at the mall are the notorious mall walkers, not many people are there to shop.

I walked into Charlotte Russe because I right away from outside the store saw racks of shirts that said $5, along with a big sign indicating an after Christmas clearance sale.

Immediately I was greeted by a nicely dressed charming young lady who let me know that all of these racks by the door were $5 shirts, and there were $10 pants and sweats a little further back, and if I needed any help, just let her know.

K, great.

So I skim through some shirts and pick out one I like.

She immediately comes over and asks if I need a fitting room. I said no because I shop there quite often and I know it will fit. She offers to hold it at the register for me. I said sure.

I see bras and panties are on clearance, so I head that way. She immediately runs over and says "Just so you know, ALL panties are 5 for $10!" and I nod politely.

I know a lot of people can't/don't read, but I saw the sign. I know. Thank you.

I got my 5 pairs of undies and she comes back over and whisks them over to the register for me. She then lets me know that all shoes are buy one get one half off or something or other, another sale here and there, I said I think I'm done but I was wondering if this store had clutch bags or fancy sparkly wallets.

She shows them to me and I pick one. She asks "Anything else you might want to buy today?" and I said no, so she took that answer and rang me up and I was on my way.

At Payless, all I did was look at one boot and the sales girl literally came booking over and said "What size do you need for this boot?" and I was kind of taken aback and said "Well I was just looking at it, not sure if it's the one I want, but either an 8 or 8 1/2 in wide please."

I did end up with that pair of boots, but sheesh. When I worked at Deb as a teen, I never stalked customers just because I was bored.

I just did my job and greeted everyone and told them about the sales and said I was there if they needed any help. Then I'd keep a watchful eye out for shoplifters and would often just pretend to be straightening racks of clothes when I was really eye-ing up what I wanted to buy with my employee discount, or would imagine what I'd look like in this or that, or I'd hope I was picked to decide the color "scheme" for the upcoming month so I'd get the privilege of dressing the manequins in colors I picked and I liked.

There was another time a few months ago at Aeropostale when the employees were so overly helpful that the sales girl just hovered over me and even asked if I needed help deciding what color I wanted. I stayed polite but damn I just wanted to tell her that I'm 23 years old, I know what colors I like, it's just that when I'm buying 4 of the same shirts, I have a hard time deciding what 4 colors I want, as in, which 4 I like the best.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Sounds like corporate is pushing the clerks to hover over customers, both for sales and to watch for shoplifters.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Sounds more like people worried they'll get cut from the after-holiday workforce. If they don't make a certain sales point, there's someone who worked the holidays who'll be happy to try instead, and management is letting them know it.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Ugh I get annoyed by stalkers..yes I know its their job, but..

Funniest one....a friend and I used to work for a certain watch store a few years ago. Recently, we went to a soccer game, and near the stadium was that watch store!! So of course we popped in and were trailed by the employees...and it was a tiny store. I was so tempted to start quizzing them in "watch store" facts, but I was good

Sounds like you got some good sales, blas
        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

they could also be watching for shoplifters; i'm thinking more, however, that they're forced into hovering by management/corporate to push sales.
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

don't hate too much on the Aeropostale people

as stupid as it is (and we all know how ineffective, or downright untruthful, they are) a LOT of weight is put on secret shop scores for that company. there are a number of things that they have to make sure are covered in order to pass, and they get in EXTREME trouble if they miss certain things

it probably isn't so much 'i don't want to be let go after the holidays' as 'i WILL be written up if you are a secret shopper and i am not the BESTOMGLOVEEVERYONEFOREVER employee'

Comment

Herewith, an example of how amazingly stupid those "bother the shoppers" policies and secret shops are:

My company used to employ secret shoppers to make sure we were following five expectations when helping customers:
              • Greet the Customer (in my company "Customer" always has an upper-case C)
              • Offer to help the Customer in a sincere manner
              • Walk the Customer to the product
              • Offer further assistance
              • Thank the Customer

Missing any one of these was no good, very bad, the world is ending and floods, fires and pestilence will consume us all and you will get a stern talking-to from your manager. In a normal shop, the secret shopper would approach people in several different departments, including pharmacy and optical, and might even return something to see how we handled the return.

My store always did terrible on these shops. Bottom-of-the-company bad even. And thus the suits were always grilling the managers, making them put some kind of plan in place or whatever to get our mystery shop scores up because as far as they were concerned, our service sucked.

The secret shops have since been replaced with an online survey. We don't have anybody checking up on us to make sure we're doing any specific things for customers: it's just comments from customers on how their experience was. We recently finished up a holiday sales contest in which survey scores was one of the ratings used. My store was number 1 in the region (comprising at least a third of our stores) on survey scores. If we weren't top-of-the-company on that measure, we were definitely up there.

So what's to be believed? The mystery shops we were awful on, or the customer surveys we're doing really well on?
              Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 01-09-2011, 09:09 PM.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                there were $10 pants
                There were PANTS?
                FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Yes, many pairs of pants, in fact. For $10.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                  X