X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Reminder for Members New and Old

For newer members:

Have you noticed how few posts here discuss politics, religion, social issues, etc.?

There's a reason for that. And it's not because you're the first and only member to have an opinion about such topics. If you look in the rules again you'll see that we prohibit posts and debates about controversial topics.

"But," you tell yourself, "my views on child rearing/politics/religion are very relevant to the customer service issue in the thread. If I don't voice them society itself will break down."

Never fear. Raps has paid for a sister site www.fratching.com which is completely dedicated to discussing and debating controversial topics.

Not sure if a post is too controversial for here?

Ask yourself this question, "Am I discussing what is or telling everyone what should be?"

The latter belongs on fratching.

Still not sure?

Fratching.

[Or PM a mod and ask. ]

For older members:

See that little box with the exclamation point in it at the upper right of this post? It says "Hi" and it misses you.

Please, please, please! If you see a post from a new (or old) member with fratching material or offensive content, DO NOT RESPOND IN THE THREAD! Even to kindly tell the member that the post is not OK.

Use the report button and let us know about it. It doesn't bother us at all to get a report and deal with one post.

It bothers us greatly to deal with both the first post and the responses. It bothers us enough to hand out infractions to people who respond instead of (or in addition to) reporting.

For everyone:

Sometimes a mod will drop a note into a thread to remind members to stay within the rules.

Those notes are not suggestions and not open for public discussion or debate. If you disagree with a mod note you have the option of talking to the mod via PM, stating your view to the team via the report button or bringing it to Raps if you feel it necessary.

None of these rules are new. You agreed to them when you signed up.

Since none of us has a perfect memory it never hurts to go over them again. Here is a link:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=190

Plenty of other things in there that weren't specifically mentioned here, so give 'em another read.

They're pretty short. I promise it will only take a minute.

I've left this thread open for responses temporarily in case anyone has any questions or needs clarification on some aspect of the rules.

You can also ask any of us questions via PM, if you prefer. I promise we don't bite.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Quoth Dips View Post
    See that little box with the exclamation point in it at the upper right of this post? It says "Hi" and it misses you.

Please, please, please! If you see a post from a new (or old) member with fratching material or offensive content, DO NOT RESPOND IN THE THREAD! Even to kindly tell the member that the post is not OK.

Use the report button and let us know about it. It doesn't bother us at all to get a report and deal with one post.

It bothers us greatly to deal with both the first post and the responses. It bothers us enough to hand out infractions to people who respond instead of (or in addition to) reporting.

None of these rules are new. You agreed to them when you signed up.
    I'm bumping this one because there have been a number of incidents lately where people have reported troublesome threads, then replied to them, continuing the very problems they reported.

First of all, reporting a problem does not make it OK to throw your own two cents in on the matter.

Second, it's pretty foolish to do so, since by reporting the post you are guaranteeing that there will be moderator attention directed towards that thread, and we WILL see that you responded as well. Pot, meet kettle.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 11-12-2010, 07:28 PM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I'd like to chime in here, too, if if I may, about the report button.

Before I became a moderator here, I thought if I hit the report button, the poster would get into some sort of trouble. It was rarely anything worth making a stink about to me, so I just usually ignored it and moved on. I also thought it would make me look like a tattletale and a crybaby.

So it would be an extremely rare thing if I ever used it. IF I ever used it, because frankly, I don't remember. But I probably didn't.

Here is what I have learned since becoming a moderator:

My thought processes on this subject were faulty.

All the report button does is give the mods a heads up that they might want to look at a thread and make a judgement call on it. No more, no less. There's a handful of mods to a huge number of posts. We do not see it all. We need a little help from you.

Also, it does not make anyone a crybaby. It just might keep someone from being abused or victimized by someone else. It might put attention to where someone might need some guidance. It might simply help us keep the threads tidy and easy to read.

Since becoming a mod, I have actually occasionally reported my own posts because I had a question and I wanted another mod to give me some feedback. It's not an assault on your fellow CSers, it's simply a tool to help up keep some standards on this community we all enjoy so much.

So yeah. Never thought I would be the one saying this, but please use the report button.

Comment

Just found another instance of someone pointing out that a thread was a duplicate WITHIN THE THREAD. Fortunately, another member did the right thing and used the report button.

Seriously, use the report button, do NOT reply in the thread!
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

And again...and again...

It's beginning to feel like we're talking to ourselves. Seriously.

The report button isn't subtle. Please use it.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

A quick addendum here....

When a moderator makes a post in an official mod capacity (eg,"take it to Fratching"), and you disagree with them or have some other issue with the post, contact that moderator or Rapscallion via PM or use the report button. It's ok to disagree with a mod; it is NOT ok to disagree with a mod publicly. This not only violates the rule about reporting posts you find problematic rather than responding to them, but also violates the rule (section D2) regarding disputes against staff:

2. Disputes against staff
            This forum operates with a clear chain of command, and it shall be used for any member disputes against the board staff. Challenging a Customers Suck! moderator or administrator on the public forum is regarded as the poorest of personal and professional courtesy, and will not be tolerated. If you feel that a mod or admin has treated you unfairly or is behaving in an inappropriate manner, contact Rapscallion and discuss it with him.
            More than once today members have broken this rule. The mods are NOT amused.
            Last edited by Dave1982; 11-24-2010, 11:35 AM.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

And already I have to bump this. Are the mods talking to themselves?

Seriously, infraction points have been issued because people seem to think the best course of action when a moderator issues a ruling is to argue back in the thread. And we're seeing some blatant Fratching posts. Last I checked, the rules haven't changed to allow this.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Once again - I find myself bumping a thread that should not need constant bumping.

Once again - I find myself tempted to break out the icon, because clearly the site rules are NOT being read.

Here's the thing, guys: We're noticing a pretty disturbing trend. When a moderator has to comment about something a person has done, either by private message or by dropping a note in a thread, this does NOT give anyone permission or license to add little passive-aggressive notes into their original post, referencing the issue. Nor does it give permission to add any sort of cute reference into their signature line.

Additional infractions and warnings will be handed out for these offenses, because it's just another variation of 'arguing publicly with a mod'.

Those who are guilty of this, and they know who they are, it ceases. Today.

If you have any sort of problem or issue with a mod or a rule or there's something you don't agree with, please PM a mod or Raps himself. So many issues and simple misunderstandings can be worked through just by communicating properly. Editing OP's and sig lines only serves to exacerbate the situation, and it will no longer be tolerated.

Your understanding is appreciated.

Please feel free to PM myself, another mod, or Raps if you have any questions or concerns about this.

Thanks!
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Once again folks, if you disagree with a moderator ruling, it is to be discussed with the mod team via PM or the report button. The next person who calls out or argues with a mod in a thread is getting an infraction.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Infractions have been issued folks.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                    X