X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh god.... New technology!

http://www.yahoo.com/s/372627

After watching this video I couldn't help to think about how all this would have made my life worse if my old store had all of these. My store being home of some of the dumbest, whiniest, stuck up, and spoiled customers around.. it's probably just like yours.

I can see how this will go: (I biased this on our customers at my old store and the junk they did.)

Parents fighting over the stupid Barney cart, they fought over the stupid race car carts (yea, let's play mediator). Then, the stupid carts break because the damn customer leaves it in the parking lot and it takes a bite out of your bonus. Not to mention finding space to plug them up and charge them like mart carts, cleaning out crumbs and other lovely messes.

The daycare works, but then it's just one more thing the customer will bitch about when there is the slightest problem and the daycare becomes your problem. It seems like the more you give the customer to help them, the more spoiled and bitchy they are. We special ordered stuff for any customer, meaning we went shopping at other stores for items that we didn't carry. They'd bitch we didn't have it, then we'd get it and they'd never buy it. Then when they come back in they'd bitch that it expired 2 months ago.

Those tablets?
    Instead of telling a customer where the dill weed is you'll have to give them a 30 minute tutorial on how to use the tablet to find it. Like the Barney cart, those carts will be left in the rain, break and come out of your bonus. How did you learn how to use the tablet? Even though it takes no training to use one the store manager calls a mandatory 6am meeting for you to train on how to use them anyway.

Frustration when the clerk doesn’t know the difference between a Fuji and a pink lady? Not like there aren't 10 or so different apples, but the customer can't be bothered to know what they pick up or better yet remove the sticker containing the ul code on it. Lovely, a little camera to complicate our lives and.... another mandatory 6am meeting.

The fingerprint identification, that's nice. I really have no issue than that; of course some of my old customers will be baffled when it can't read their fingerprint through gloves or Band-Aids.

god, what's next? baby sit for them, direct them to an item, get them special carts so they don't have to actually discipline their children? perhaps an automated buttwiper in the restrooms? sheesh.

costs is what i see; long term rise in costs to cover the initial investment, then upkeep, because they're too lazy and stupid to care for these special carts and equipment; potential lawsuits over janey or billy being 'mentally abused' during daycare (being told NOT to do something), or some other potential problem.

as for some of the produce, i know the differences between the two, and if a shopper is smart (but we all know how this is) they would know whether or not, or to ASK/read signs, but this is also assuming there are some firing synapses...

the 'easier' we make it, the harder it becomes, really. some things need the tech upgrade, but not here; if people were rational, responsible and reliable, it would be worthwhile, but since they're not, no store will see a return on this huge investment, just long term headaches and losses.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Our reponses to this new technology indicates how embittered and cynical we really are towards customer service... and I love it

Seriously, I as well can't look at these new improvements without thinking to myself, "God, that's just another machine waiting to break and cost us our bonuses this year", or something like that.

And don't even get me started on how much more entitled it will make the customers feel. We all know that. Lord knows they were bad enough beforehand. I hope this new technology fizzles out quickly.

Comment

We've just had self-checkouts added to the line-up at my local supermarket. I've used them without problem one a few occasions, especially since the other lines are really long as many people are ... too stupid to use them.

I had a member of staff come up to me and ask if I needed help. I'd nearly finished by then.

"Get many people stuck?"

"Yes," she whimpered.

People love novelty. I just wish they could use it.

Raspcallion

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
          Our reponses to this new technology indicates how embittered and cynical we really are towards customer service... and I love it
          Oh yea ..

Just think, those tables will have talking advertisements.. by the end of the day I'll have an urge to buy dog food for a dog I don't even have.. got to love that brainwashing.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            We've just had self-checkouts added to the line-up at my local supermarket. I've used them without problem one a few occasions, especially since the other lines are really long as many people are ... too stupid to use them.
            There should be a nice big old sign that says "If you can't program your vcr, do not use these machines."
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Oh Christ, how come I knew they'd mention Stop & Shop and the Shopping Buddy?

Thankfully, they don't have the Shopping Buddy down on Long Island, because it seems that the customers already have a hard time dealing with things like self-scan and Deli Express (which is basically an order-taking computer). Plus, they'd be ransacked in no time at all.

Comment

Working...
              X