Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My old job had a hot plate to boil water for pasta. There were two coils, and I couldn't figure out which switch went to which coil. So I flipped one switch and waited five minutes. Then I reached out to hold my hand about three inches over the coil. This is probably the best way to test it, since heat will rise off the active coil but one won't get burned. Anyway, my manager Stacy saw me and screamed, "DON'T!!!" I jerked away so fast I smacked into the wall behind me. Stacy then started lecturing me about a girl who quit before I started. She also decided to test the hot plate...by placing her open palm directly onto the heated coil. Stacy had to physically pry her hand off the element. There was a pretty spiral pattern branded onto the girl's flesh. Stacy drove her to the hospital and paid all the bills up front, in the company's name, and the general manager met them there with papers for this girl to sign saying she wouldn't sue.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

• The top of one of the pick-n-mix sweet dispensers broke. Rather than remove the top, a co-worker just placed it loose on top of the dispenser while we were filling it. When I pushed dispenser back in place the lid came crashing down on my arm. Ouch!

I have a lovely multicoloured bruise. Minor, but still had me swearing at my co-irkers who thought it was funny.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

• On Saturday I had a culinary workshop to do. No biggie. It means overtime.

Anyhoo, afterwards I was putting everything away. That involves pulling out the oven and cabinets and pushing the counter back. Oh, and hiding the velvet ropes.

Of course, there are plenty of coworkers watching me, but no one to help. Blah to them.

Sooooooooooooo...I'm moving the velvet ropes and their metal poles when I realize that I didn't move the oven far enough. I set down the poles and as I'm standing back up one decides to wobble and smack me on the side of the head.

It's STILL nice and swollen, with redness. I'd rather have a wicked bruise.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

• Injury *seen* at work

was walking into A&E when a chap in a footbal (soccer) strip came out, he walked up to me and showed me his hand, his middle finger was bent at 90 degrees to the left, so he was showing a talent of being able to point at his thumb while having his hand flat!

He told me the staff hadn't fixed it and asked me what to do, I laughed and told him to go back inside to get it fixed!
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

• Yesterday I managed to knock myself out. And I still have a knot on my head from it.

How?

On aisle 4, there lives a fire extinguisher, hanging from one of the poles conveniently placed in the middle of the aisle. I was stocking something right by it, bent over to pick up something that was against the pole, and *THUD*.. then it was lights out.

I wasn't out long, only 10-20 seconds or so I think.. and when I opened my eyes my coworkers looked like they couldn't figure out if they should laugh their asses off or be worried (at least, that's what I think I saw through the stars). When I started cussing up a storm (rather loudly) they assumed I was okay, though one of them was wanting me to go fill out an accident report. I told him I would if I didn't feel good after an hour or so (I felt fine aside from a headache for about 30 minutes).

The knot on my head still stings if I touch it. No blood though, damnit.

Quoth Custard Chick View Post
            At my new job I'm positive I'm going to slip on the floor and crack my head, and it'll be my own damn fault because my shoes have noo traction.

Bad shoes + wet floor + slick tiles = one very unhappy and unsteady Custard Chick!
            My employer is about to start making slip resistant shoes mandatory - for all departments (for now, it's just kitchen staff that has to wear them). I have a couple of pairs, but holy shit are they uncomfortable.
            Last edited by bean; 03-05-2008, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X