This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Black Thanksgiving"

Just saw a TV ad saying K Mart was open Thursday. A moment of silence for all the K Mart workers out there. I'm sure they'll need it....

Geeeeeeez.

What, Friday's requisite insanity isn't going to be enough for them?
    Everything I do goes through...

Think About It Central

Comment

Sounds like a good reason to call in sick to me. Unless they're paying overtime or double, which I doubt.
      "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Hey! My store is open today!

Where's our moment of silence?

Not that it matter to me anymore--I don't work until 10:30, long after we've closed.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Maybe lots of people need to come in for a last minute children's table.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I was really surprised when the clerk at my local Long's said they would be open on Thanksgiving.

And Walgreen's will be open, too.

Maybe Long's wanted to get in on Walgreen's holiday prescription business monopoly.

A salute to Walgreen's for being open on holidays. And a huge I'M SORRY to the employees. My older son, his first three years, always seemed to wait until a holiday to get sick, which meant that on Christmas or Thanksgiving or New Year's Eve I would be in the After Hours Pediatric Clinic and then have to get a prescription filled on said holiday.

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU WHO SACRIFICED YOUR HOLIDAYS!!! Mine would have been so much worse without your help.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Well, you only work one shift, and then you get to celebrate the rest of the day. Yay for holiday pay!

That being said, OMFG, we got pretty busy yesterday, I was amazed! I figured I'd have all kinds of time to finish scheduling through mid January, get some cleanup done, blah blah. I walked in at 8 and my jaw dropped because the pharmacy was such a pigsty from the day before. It took me about an hour and a half just to get things cleaned up to where it wasn't nasty anymore. There was 3 boxes of congealed pizza on the back counter, dirty silverware and dishes, crap all over the counter, the garbages were overflowing, cardboard everywhere....I don't know what the overnight pharmacist did all night, but I suspect it involved dragging the chair into the corner and taking a nap.

There were third-party issues that hadn't been touched since TUESDAY. There were prescriptions filed that hadn't even been scanned in and typed. Thank GOD none of those people had come in yet.

And then....the hordes arrived about 11. Must have been half time or something. The poor pharmacist was a floater from another store, and she muttered something about thinking it was gonna be so slow that she brought a book. Nope, I kept her hopping. I hope it was slower for the evening tech, I'm sure by then everyone was too tryptophaned out to bother going to pick up a refill.

Comment

My Thanksgiving was not too shabby at the hotel bar. Lots of cool guests, and though their was some confusion and drama internally, everything pretty much worked out in the end. Cool T-Day lunch special for the guests, too.

Amusingly, I ran holiday-themed drink specials: $1 off on any Wild Turkey bourbon drink and $1 off any vodka and cranberry. The punchline is that no one ordered a single one of either.

AND I got about three helpings of stuffing (my favorite), including my friend Dave's infamous oyster stuffing (I am hoping to get the recipe for the late holiday dinner I am cooking for my friends Monday), AND avoided the dreaded turkey for yet another year. AND managed to quaff many cold frosty adult beverages after work.

Though the night did end with a very ugly woman hitting on my friend and I, alternating between us depending upon who was closer to her at the moment. We both went home alone, thank goodness. Yes, I am thankful that my Beer Goggles were not THAT strong last night!

Oh, one final note....I am very happy for those of you that did work and got extra pay (time and a half, double, etc.) for it. Please remember that restaurant and bar workers get no such pay increase on holidays. Ever. At least, not at any establishment that I have ever worked at, and I have worked at quite a few.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

I wanted to work Thanksgiving for the overtime pay. I was even scheduled to work because someone else called out but corporate says that manager's shifts cannot overlap.

So, I had Thanksgiving off. *sigh*
                  "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                  HellGate: London

Comment

Working...
                  X