This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from the Darkside...

So I've been working at a few different after-school care centres now. Loving it, enjoying it. I also have a LOT of stories, including some moments of -ery.
    These have all come from different centres and I won't differentiate between them.

-A brother-sister pair brought in a flick/pocket knife. NO idea how they managed to avoid getting in trouble with the teacher/s during the day for that . (sister is older than brother) That was quickly quashed. (and I wasn't there that day hence why I say teachers since I'm surprised they didn't bring it out at school! Also I'm not sure which kid brought it in)

-The same boy I mentioned above however, seems to have taken a shine to me. His class was doing a presentation at their school assembly the other week and he came in with some masks. He asked me to wear them while he washed his hands, then afterwards informed me I could keep one.

-One of the boys I mentioned in my previous post (the one who tried to get me fired) has still been causing some minor trouble, but seems to have calmed down recently. We've managed to reduce the issue slightly by keeping me away from him as best we can, while still letting me work. One moment that I found adorable however was during the holidays, we were watching a film. We had some of the little ones from our sister school over as well and he was treating her like a baby sister.

-Two days a week, we have kids from the nearby kindergarten. AFAIK, the rule is that you either need to be starting school in the next 2-3 terms, or you have a brother/sister at the school. One of them we've nicknamed the firecracker as she literally bounces EVERYWHERE. She also has a tendency to squeal randomly. O.o

-Bizarrely enough, I thought my biggest struggle with the two new schools I've worked at over the past week, was forming relationships. I was proven wrong when on my first shift at New School #1, I immediately formed a relationship with one of the older girls who proceeded to tell me about her coeliac issues. (the supervisor had pointed her out to me for the simple fact that she gets her own snack in the afternoons) As for new school #2, I heard everything from someone's cat dying to "can you help me with my homework?"

-So a "new" craze has swept after-school care centres like wildfire at the moment. That craze? French knitting. Seriously, at new school #1, the kids were ALL either doing French knitting or fingerstitch or something along those lines. A number of kids at my main site are also enjoying themselves. I plan on bringing up an activity involving making pom-poms sometime since a number of schools have wool. (I'm going to make up a few pom-pom templates and leave them behind at schools so they can replicate)

-I need to start playing the name game sometime I swear...
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Ooo, pom-poms.
    Stitch 4 little pom-poms to 1 large one, add a couple of googly eyes, and you have a new pet.
    :-)
    We made them at school too, make the googly eyeballs out of material, like a cotton balloon stuffed with bits of wool with the eye drawn on, and you've got a throw-safe toy.
    They do fall to pieces easily, but they are so easy to make.

Comment

I was thinking more the ones where you cut out 2 pieces of cardboard with a hole in the centre and feed wool through it until you can't feed any more wool through.

Although I will have to try the pom-pom pet idea.

ETA: I didn't mention this in another thread, but I did a shift over at my main site's sister school yesterday. The supervisor there loves me to the point where she "plugged" my skills to the regional manager.
      Sadly I'm only at that school for another week, then after that someone else is taking over. I'm making up a profile for the one who's taking over.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
      X