Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope whoever googles my name can read German or is smart enough to use the "translate this page" feature!

Most of the results are in German. I can't believe there are so many of me out there.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

When I Google myself, only 3 of the first 20 or so hits are actually me, and they're in reference to my listing on imdb.com for some film work I've done. I've listed one of the websites of a company I do NFP work for on my resume, and I don't mind them googling for that, but I'm smart enough to not put anything incriminating on my MySpace or Facebook profiles. After one of our field techs half the country away found my MySpace page and started asking me about it, I made that private, as well.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I have never googled my cousin or my stepfather/stepbrother's names. It seemed kind of pointless. I mean, just a guess, but I am pretty sure there are a lot of Ken Browns and Greg Smiths out there. Ya think??!?!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

The only thing on google for me is an article about how my sisters and i drove 7 hours to see the stanley cup

Comment

Enough of Google please.

Quoth myswtghst View Post
            I think that's the exception to the rule, you can use a family member on your resume, so long as they were legitimately your employer. Not as in "dad paid me to mow the lawn, therefore he was my boss."

I've had to clarify a few times on my resume, as my college adviser has the same last name as I do, but we aren't related.
            All the kids that are applying keep putting their Mom and Dad. The problem is Mom and Dad think Jr. is perfect and want him to get a job. Which means they just might lie, or "strech the truth". If they were your boss they still might. Either to get Jr. hired, or to get Jr. not hired so he will come back to the familly buisness.
            Put your School Councelor, Coach, Teacher, best of all: FORMER EMPLOYER. You have had five jobs and don't put a supervisor down once as a reference? Why not? They won't give you a good reference, is usually what we think.
            As for "Your Best Friend", your friend will not tell us that you are always late or lazy. We want to know how you work. If your friend has never worked with you it's totally pointless to use them as a reference. (Keep in mind I mostly have 16 to 18 year olds applying with no job history.)
            Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
            The following is subject to change:
            If Your Going Through Hell,
            Keep Going...

Comment

I put down my moms friend and my moms friend's husband who is also my friend, since my best friend is 15 and he's a convicted felon(you have your choice of 2 15 y/o convicted felons) that was certainly out of the question

how not to get a job? I applied for a second job at a competitorand told them when i couldn't work because I already had a job at Wal Mart, I got a "I have to talk to my manager, I'll call you back", and of course it was a lie, everyone knows that's code for "no, you suck"

I was in personnel doing an ETA(electronic Time Adjustment) and someone was too lazy to answer Wal Mart questions. I stumbled through it, as I had no formal work history, and really didn't help people much(what can I say, I'm an asshole) but I stumbled through it and got the job, and I do good enough to get me out of a coaching

Comment

I'm apparently a movie costumer of some note.

And I'm with you, Jester. No myspace, no personal webpage. Nobody's business, IMHO.

Comment

I have a unique name (apparently), but googling me gets you a ton of reviews and places to buy my books - and very little personal information until you get really deep into Google.

It's kind of convenient, actually. Googling me gets you the kind of information that would get me a job, not cost me one.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    I have a unique name (apparently), but googling me gets you a ton of reviews and places to buy my books - and very little personal information until you get really deep into Google.

It's kind of convenient, actually. Googling me gets you the kind of information that would get me a job, not cost me one.
                    lol same here.. if you google my name you will get all about my various poetry books i have written and magazines i have edited.
                    The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                      And I'm with you, Jester. No myspace, no personal webpage. Nobody's business, IMHO.
                      That's not why I don't have them. With me, it's just that I am too lazy to bother doing it or to bother caring about them.

Ironically, being a magician and all, I probably really should have a professional web page. *sigh*

Still A Customer."

Comment

I am a famous romance novelist from CA! That's pretty excellent.

As far as the OP goes, if you show up to an interview at my place of employ wearing a suit or tie you will be made fun of.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          That's not why I don't have them. With me, it's just that I am too lazy to bother doing it or to bother caring about them.

Ironically, being a magician and all, I probably really should have a professional web page. *sigh*
                          haha I'm like that too

I made a myspace, but i never updated it in over a year

Comment

Wowsers - looks like this thread derailed!

Can we get back on topic, please folks? How not to get a job and all that All the setting up myspace pages and googling are best left for Off Topic. We've got plenty of space there.

Rapscallion

Comment

Sorry Raps!

Well, one way to not get a job would be something like what just happened here....talking incessantly about your MySpace page or webpage! (Well, unless you are applying for a webpage design job, of course....)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Sat in on my first interview...

Total applicants: 51
                                After 1st cut: 6

One: Didn't call us back.
                                Two: Didn't show for interview.
                                Three: Needed a higher paying job.
                                Four: Had ROTC couldn't work around it.
                                Five: Lied on Application.
                                Six: (I got to sit in on this one) Quit last job "difficulties w/managment" Reffernce was a girl we fired, he didn't put her last name down, if we had know he would have been cut. He couldn't make eye contact. Kept squirming in his seat. Body language screamed: I don't want to be here, this is boring.

What he said was: " The Manager always gave me the shit jobs. Sometimes I'd trade assignments with my friend. I hate pointless meaningless tasks. This other guy got hired at the same time but he's been promoted twice.

What we heard was: I got shit jobs 'cause I couldn't do shit right. If I didn't like my assignments I would find a way out of doing it. If I think an assignment is stupid your going to have to argue with me every step of the way. I didn't get promoted because the other guy was better. I never put any effort in."

I don't want to do X-Mass understaffed again!
                                What is wrong with these Kids? All of the Apps. from the first cut did at least two things on of my How Not To Get a Job list. Over 40 Kids! I have lost all hope for the future.
                                Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
                                The following is subject to change:
                                If Your Going Through Hell,
                                Keep Going...

Comment

Working...
                                X