Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You don't sell computer games? You'l be out of business in a year! (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth JustADude View Post
    Age of Conan is going to be an interesting dichotomy, then. It's, supposedly, extremely focused on team/group tactics, strategy, etc, and yet... it's CONAN. Even the guys are wearing leather loin-cloths and body oil in that one.
    Well, it's Conan. That's Latin for "Oiled Nipples" to begin with.

I'm not much for the visuals but we'll see about the gameplay.

Comment

Oh trust me gravekeeper, I have logged off from WoW (ANd EQ2) in a murderist rage a few times.

Your right, girls do play MMOs... two of my best friends (well, ones my girlfriend :P) play wow/swg/eq2. In SWG I even had a guild that only allowed over 15s. Fun.

Women actually wear ARMOUR in it. There aren't even any skimpy social clothes you can throw on them.
      Personally, I don't mind the whole revealing clothing side of things. What I do mind, is the 12 year old boys with female humans or night elves (and blood elves now) running through *insert city or area here* completely naked. On a side note, many WoW armours don't have "slutty" versions, like the basic leatherworking armour looks the same on male and female.

Generally the less the mmo caters to the 12 year old shitlings ( WoW ) and the more it caters to teamwork/social aspects the higher the percentage of female players.
      Biggest problem with this is, Most people see computer games as a kids thing. And young girls (without trying to sterotype here) are generally not interested in this kind of thing.

On a side note, I was once in Goldshire (handing in quests) and watching the general channel when two female characters (in the generally channel - they were having a convo and I wasn't paying much attention to it) told eachother that they were actually boys. Their ages? 9 and 10.

Unless you turn off every single public channel you will at some point log off in a murderous rage
      I've done that actually in most of my chars. I'm still trying to figure out who the hell this Chuck Norris dude is that keeps getting mentioned in barrens chat. My guild tell me not to ask, for my own sanity. (Only channels I keep on are the defense channels - PVP servers only for me :P)

*cheers that an american put a U in Armour :P*
      Last edited by Jacen; 11-24-2007, 05:40 PM. Reason: The gnome ate it...
      MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
        On a side note, many WoW armours don't have "slutty" versions, like the basic leatherworking armour looks the same on male and female.
        True, but there are some slutty armour pieces.

I've done that actually in most of my chars. I'm still trying to figure out who the hell this Chuck Norris dude is that keeps getting mentioned in barrens chat. My guild tell me not to ask, for my own sanity. (Only channels I keep on are the defense channels - PVP servers only for me :P)
        I was going to act all shocked that you didn't know who Chuck Norris is... but then I saw:

*cheers that an american put a U in Armour :P*
        and realized you weren't from this side of the pond. Silly British spellings

Oh, and by the way, Chuck Norris. Specifically the "Norris in Popular Culture" section. Oh, and check out that link to the "facts". Some of those might look familiar.

And you have the Barrens chat on? Are you a glutton for punishment? lol.
        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
        The Office

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post

BTW @Op: I agree with the customers that in order to call yourself a games store, you need to sell all kinds of games (not every game ever through as thats impossible)... but you won't be out of bussiness in a year... SCs these days... lol
          According to one of the gentlemen who works at the gaming store whose intial is "L", Computer Games aren't games but programs. He was telling this to a customer who plays WoW with his S.O. and her daughter. And even the WoW guy who was in the market to play something other than computer games (Warhammer, LotR, D&D), agreed that computer games are just programs.

Also, the gaming store is a "Parlor". Meaning, sure we sell games in the store, but the way the store is set up, it makes the customer want to sit down, open his/her game & start to play. You can't do that with a computer game. With a computer game, you have to get into your car, go home, sit by yourself at your computer, load the game onto the computer and then start to play the game (by yourself). At the store, it's conducive to having you meet other people and game with other people whom you wouldn't normally meet in other circumstances.

Human contact. That's what gaming is all about. Especially in the Gaming Store. Heck, if a customer wants to try out a game, and the store isn't busy & they're amenable to standing at the counter, me or the other guys (I'm the only female working there) would be more than happy to game with you.

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
            True, but there are some slutty armour pieces.
            True, but there is not really anything wrong with that (And some girls like it). I always have a shirt on anyway on my chars.

Sidenote: My blood elf recently picked up leg armour that was better armour then what I had, so I put it on... and it was way more revealing then her underpants. The only thing stopping her behind from showing was the guild tabard.
            I was going to act all shocked that you didn't know who Chuck Norris is... but then I saw:

and realized you weren't from this side of the pond. Silly British spellings

Oh, and by the way, Chuck Norris. Specifically the "Norris in Popular Culture" section. Oh, and check out that link to the "facts". Some of those might look familiar.

And you have the Barrens chat on? Are you a glutton for punishment? lol.
            Actually, Australian. I'll have a look at the link later and comment then (EDIT: Just had a quick look. Okay, I get that he's a martial artist, but I don't see any reason why he's being mentioned everywhere and everyday.)

And no, I don't. I turned it off when kids started talking about various exotic body parts *cough*. I never had that problem as Alliance but when I'm questing as Horde, I see that in General channel. Think it's a sign.

Human contact. That's what gaming is all about.
            I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. Games like chess, solitar, etc, can NOT get the heart beating or the blood pumping and it can't give you a fright like Doom 3 does when an enemy (player, Monster, whatever) comes around a very dark corner, guns blazing. Thats just what some people enjoy I guess. And Doom3 is the ONLY thing that has ever given me a fright.

Through, on another note, I am a big fan of chess too. If you weren't all the way over the other side of the world, I'd pop down to your game store just to give you a game
            Last edited by Jacen; 11-24-2007, 09:50 PM.
            MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
              (EDIT: Just had a quick look. Okay, I get that he's a martial artist, but I don't see any reason why he's being mentioned everywhere and everyday.)
              There's a site called ChuckNorrisFacts.com that started the trend. Basically, it started out as jokes about his trademark roundhouse kick, him being a badass, etc, and just ballooned out into one of those huge internet fads.

Quoth Jacen View Post
              And Doom3 is the ONLY thing that has ever given me a fright.
              I dunno. It actually got kind of boring for me: Kill demon. Open door. Turn and kill demon that just phased in behind you. Go through door. Kill demons. Open door. Turn and kill demon that just...
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                According to one of the gentlemen who works at the gaming store whose intial is "L", Computer Games aren't games but programs. He was telling this to a customer who plays WoW with his S.O. and her daughter. And even the WoW guy who was in the market to play something other than computer games (Warhammer, LotR, D&D), agreed that computer games are just programs.
                Uh, yes. They're programs, but they're still games. A game is anything done for fun or enjoyment as a pastime. Otherwise, you don't sell games at all. You sell little statues. You sell books. You sell cards. This has to be the single most bizarre statement I've heard all year. And I read GK's threads.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                  I dunno. It actually got kind of boring for me: Kill demon. Open door. Turn and kill demon that just phased in behind you. Go through door. Kill demons. Open door. Turn and kill demon that just...
                  Some advice then. Wait till night to play it. Turn all the lights off (some say turn the monitor brightness down too), turn the sound up as loud as you can without being disrespectful (good quality headphones works better)*, and make sure all doom sound and graphic settings are up to their max if possible. Quite a scary experience.

Uh, yes. They're programs, but they're still games. A game is anything done for fun or enjoyment as a pastime. Otherwise, you don't sell games at all. You sell little statues. You sell books. You sell cards. This has to be the single most bizarre statement I've heard all year.
                  Agreed. Everything that runs on your computer IS a program, true. But games are games, regardless of their medium.

And I read GK's threads.
                  Nothing is an bizarre as some of GKs customers in my opinion...

*= Oh and don't burst your eardrums or anything that loud sounds do. YOu want it loud, not explosive.
                  MMO Addicts group

Comment

"L" goes on a tangent about programs not being games. *shrugs*

At the Gaming Store, there is the local county's Chess Club that comes into the place every Tuesday night. It's something awesome to see. Chess geeks hunched over a chess board, intense looks of concentration as they try to make the perfect moves to win the game.

Besides, the people in the RPG room are more active and vociferous and more enthusiastic than the guys who come in to pay $5/hour to play WoW on our computers. And they're more apt to talk about their characters, the people they game with and all the things going on in the game and brag about what they've done.

As I'm not a computer gamer per se, I can't get into the excitement of the games. I do play Puzzle Quest on my Nintendo DS. It's an RPG, but when you're fighting the enemy, you play Bejeweled. I think it's the fact that I get seasick/dizzy/headache-y when trying to play a game like WoW, Doom, Mortal Kombat, that I don't like them.

Has anyone played "Tales of the Floating Vagabond"? I hear it's really funny, even if it's out of print.

Comment

I feel that, despite my earlier post, I should mention I would kill to have a shop like that around my area. A place where pure gaming goodness abounds, and gaming can take place on premises? I'll take two please

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        I feel that, despite my earlier post, I should mention I would kill to have a shop like that around my area. A place where pure gaming goodness abounds, and gaming can take place on premises? I'll take two please
                        Same here. Despite what I've said, I do enjoy the quiet games like monopoly and chess. But they're like water compared to coke (or beer) computer games Video games have a kick to them.

It sounds like your anti-video games, idrinkarum. Just remember that everyone handles/enjoys things in their own way. That quiet wow gamer might be quiet because he's loving WoW.(Where as the noisey scrabble or chess players are noisey because their loving Chess) And if you join a wow voice chat channel (Any wow guild with teamspeak/vent will do) then you'll change your opinion, trust me but I am jealous of you mate. Working in a game store... best job ever.

EDIT: No, second best job ever. Best job would be to program or make those games (I'm studying programming as it is - and I did make a board game in woodworking in high school, checkers I think... fun!)
                        Last edited by Jacen; 11-25-2007, 01:43 AM.
                        MMO Addicts group

Comment

I'm not anit-video/computer gamer per se. However, I have seen (not saying anyone here, including you Jacen) are the types of people who will just play the game and not do anything else for 10-12 hours a day. I've had friends get so caught up on the computer, they lose sight of what is in the real world. At least with sitting around gaming, having people in contact with you in the same room, there is the possibility of you getting up, going to the bathroom, eating, sleeping, drinking and looking forward to the next week/weekend when you get together again for a 4-6 hour gaming session. And that's why I'll take table top gaming over computer gaming any time. Again, it's the human companionship. In this day and age, when people can order food/clothing/whatever online, and never really have to see another human being, it's the human aspect of table top gaming that is at the heart of all that makes it wonderful; even if I have to encounter males who act as if a female in a gaming store is sacrilege.

"L" is a weird guy. He is interesting though and I like him.

However, those who play computer games are as much as of a gamer as those who play CCGs (collectible card games).

I do like Scrabble (I'm the champion in my family - my mom used it to teach me to spell). However, I do not consider my mom a gamer just because she plays Scrabble, Pictionary and Quiddler. There is a fine line.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                            If you're a boardgamer, come out to Columbus, OH. http://www.buckeyeboardgamers.org/ regularly has meetings of over 100 people, with a very low membership/entrance fee (first time visitors free, too!). Plus a library of most of the best and current games to play.

Comment

I fully understand what your saying. But there is a difference between computer gamers (Myself) and obsessed gamers. A normal video gamer knows when he's had too much. A normal video gamer also remembers to get up every hour for at least 5 minutes. Toilet, drink, food, whatever.
                              However, those who play computer games are as much as of a gamer as those who play CCGs (collectible card games).

I do like Scrabble (I'm the champion in my family - my mom used it to teach me to spell). However, I do not consider my mom a gamer just because she plays Scrabble, Pictionary and Quiddler. There is a fine line.
                              Mate, everyones a gamer. Even if you play solitar once a month, your a gamer (Hell even if you play sport. Not the video game kind. Sports are still games)
                              MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                                If you're a boardgamer, come out to Columbus, OH. http://www.buckeyeboardgamers.org/ regularly has meetings of over 100 people, with a very low membership/entrance fee (first time visitors free, too!). Plus a library of most of the best and current games to play.
                                Not too much for the boardgaming, though mainly because most of the people I played with were too immature to get through a game of Risk safely, so I'd be willing to give it a shot, if it wasn't just a wee bit far of a trip. I'd like to keep it to less than triple digits on the ol' odometer, but thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X