This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb parents

The only thing I like about my parking lot job is being a cashier because I meet a lot of cute girls. One day, I worked a Gwen Stefani concert the Black Eyed Peas were the opener; most of the crowd was not what I expected (Women dressed like hookers). I have a problem with that type of music but I just ignored it because the fanbase was 15-23 year old girls. I was wrong that day. A vehicle drives up in my lane, I greet the driver; it is a mom with her two daughters one is 17 the other is 5 or 6 years old. The 17 year old and her sister is singing along to the song My Humps. I was shocked that I almost yelled at the mom for being a dumb and bad parent for letting her little kid listen to that crap. Add this up with the fact that I had to hear that song over and over from cars along with the people whining about the price for parking and I nearly lost it.
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

what did they do wrong/ thats like saying that kids shouldn't watch music shows because women don't wear enough clothes or that schools chouldn't perform grease as it contains words like pussy.

It's a song, kids and adults like it for different reasons. Shrek 2 had a drugs based skit, does that mean that kids shouldn't watch it?

Comment

I like the beat of some very insulting songs, so I'll sing and dance to it, doesn't mean I like what the words are... or the singer/group...

i.e. I'll listen to Marilyn Mansons "drugs like me" song, but I'm not going to go do drugs (only chocolate lol)...

just because they are singing to that song does NOT make her a bad parent, and its silly to judge a mother by that ONE moment with that one song.

Comment

Not to be contrary (well, no more than usual ) - and I'm not a big fan of the Black Eyed Peas or that style of music, but... the lyrics to "My Humps" are actually fairly positive for girls, the singer is talking about being proud to have a little curve to her swerve, so to speak, and the "humps" are her bum, her *ahem* chestal area, the parts that often stick out on a woman (like humps on a camel, presumably). So in that respect it's better than some song about, say, why it's so great to look like a runway model or similar skeleton.

But if I had to hear it 10,784 times during my shift, I do believe I would go insane.
        Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne
          her *ahem* chestal area, the parts that often stick out on a woman
          HAHAHAHA Chestal area....
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi
            HAHAHAHA Chestal area....
            Hehehe I was on the phone while I was reading that...and nearly lost it
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I like the term 'breasticles', but I would.

Rapscallion

Comment

Me ->
                "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Being a Mom with a wide age expanse between my oldest and youngest kids I can tell you that it's nearly impossible to keep the two children's interests separated.

The older child is often sort of idolized by the younger child. You have to hope you taught the older child enough right from wrong to make decent decisions about what they share with their younger sibling. Obviously, they don't always make the best decision.

However, the benefits to the younger child of simply having an older sibling who is willing to spend quality time with them usually far outweighs the mistakes they might make.

And KUDOS to that Mom for actually going to the concert with the kids and being involved in what they enjoy!
                  Last edited by NightAngel; 07-13-2006, 09:17 PM.
                  "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                  HellGate: London

Comment

I don't think it's fair to call someone a dumb parent just because they let their children listen to a song. Most young children don't understand what they are singing anyways, and mostly like the beat of the song. I don't think there is anything wrong with that mom at all.

Kibbles

Comment

The Shrek movies have a lot of innuendos and whatnot, but guess what? Children's minds don't catch them. Children LOVE Shrek.

So does Spongebob Squarepants. Especially the "panty raid" episode. Little kids LOVE Spongebob. What's wrong with making the little ones happy if the jokes and innuendos go right over their heads?
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My 5 year old daughter tries to sing along to that song when it comes on the radio when we are in the car.
                        I don't care because

1. It has no cussing in it

2. she has no idea what the song is about

3. that Gwen Stefani song, Banana's? That taught my daughter how to spell Banana's, when it came on the radio.

And actually, to go back to point number one, my husband DOES listen to alot of music with cussing in it. I don't believe in censoring music (most music, I don't need my kids to hear about gang rapes and drive bys, but I don't care about cuss words. My daughter already knows what she is or is not allowed to say)

So I guess that makes me a dumb parent, but I'm cool with that. I'm doing what's best for my family and that's all that matters

Comment

Working...
                        X