Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep a hidden "house" key "near" my house (using the latest in "mad science" hiding technology) and a spare car key someplace in a "compartment of doom", just for the times I know I will lock myself out of the car. But my plan does carry the risk of someone seeing me retrieve my keys and knowing my "devilish" hiding spot.

I keep a second spare key in my tool box at work. A location you need a ID badge to access.

My third spare key is in my, completely legal, conceal carry "holster" (more like a fanny pack, that no one has yet questioned me why I do not keep my wallet or phone in it oh well, better for me that way)
    Last edited by Gilhelmi; 07-17-2015, 11:57 AM.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth sportsmom View Post
      Sorry, but it truly bothers me when people don't see locksmiths as the skilled tradesmen that they really are and don't think about the background as to why that emergency call a half hour away at 10:00 on a Saturday night is going to cost you $120. It isn't just about the 2 minutes that the customer sees them.
      I agree, I dabble with lock picking as a hobby (I am not very good at the tumblers). It is a good deal more difficult then one might think. I imagine the difficulty curb is upped when you get to cars, as they are thief magnets, companies design more elaborate means of preventing "key-less" entry.

Just how to get into my single car would be worth $2000-3000 or more, if I was the only customer. So Locksmiths have to learn how to get into dozens of different vehicles to bring the price down to a reasonable 50-100 dollars.
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        with some high-tech cars, it's very easy for the locksmith to damage something in the door, but they won't take responsibility for the damage.
        Most late model cars, you just spread the door a little from the frame with an airbag, and use a longreach tool to operate the inside handle (drivers door only). Automatically unlocks and opens the door. Much easier, and less risk of damage.

Quoth sportsmom View Post
        Sorry, but it truly bothers me when people don't see locksmiths as the skilled tradesmen that they really are and don't think about the background as to why that emergency call a half hour away at 10:00 on a Saturday night is going to cost you $120. It isn't just about the 2 minutes that the customer sees them.
        Amen! I get sick of people always complaining about the prices I charge, and think that my work is only worth 1/4 of what their bill is.
        Last edited by aulocksmith; 07-18-2015, 01:03 AM.
        Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Based on the OP's message, I think she was most upset about the way the price was inflated.

Yes, it's frustrating to pay a tradesman to do a job when one doesn't have much money; but if one needs the knowledge and skills a tradie has, it's only fair to pay for it.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
          X