X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joi's 2010 adventures, part 1

Ok, time to start the stories!

My favorite actor in the whole world is Doug Jones. You have probably seen him in many things, but you may not know it, because he does a lot of creature work and is usually in heavy latex/prosthetics. He was The Faun and The Pale Man in Pan's Labyrinth (possibly my favorite movie, and certainly in my top 5), Abe Sapien and assorted creatures in the Hellboy movies, the body actor for the Silver Surfer (yes, that movie really sucked, but he did a good job), and the lead Gentleman in the Buffy episode "Hush."

I found an interesting interview with him, and posted it on my Facebook wall. My priest saw it, and commented, "Oh, you're familiar with his work? He did a short film I really like, and I got him to come speak at the church later this year." Cue Joi squeeing like a fangirl and running around the house.

In May, the day arrived, and I was NERVOUS. I'm shy as it is, so the prospect of actually meeting an actor I liked so much had me terrified. I figured I'd listen to his talk, and then get up my courage to ask him to sign my copy of Pan's Labyrinth afterward.

When I got to the church, I saw that he had just walked in from the back entrance, and I proceeded to freak out. I kept my back to the door, and tried to calm down, while my friends teased me. Then I felt a tap on my shoulder, and looked back to see my priest grinning, with Doug Jones standing behind him. "I knew you'd be too nervous to introduce yourself," he said, "so I brought him over to you. Doug, this is Joi. I told you about her, she's a big fan."

Me: *stammering and blushing like crazy*
    Doug jones: Awwwww! That's so sweet! *gives me the biggest hug ever*
    Me: *stunned into silence*

Then he stood and talked with me and my friends for 30 minutes or so until dinner began, and he was seated at the head table. After a little while, we noticed that no-one had been seated with him, except for the friend he'd brought with him. After a whispered conference, we invited them to sit at our table...and they did! So we had a great time talking during dinner.

After his talk, he signed my copy of Pan's Labyrinth AND took a picture with me. Seriously one of the best moments of my life. He was also probably the nicest person I have ever met, and I am not exaggerating. He has a gift of making anyone he talks to feel important and welcome and happy.

(I also tracked him down at Comic-con to say hi, saw his film "My Name Is Jerry" at the Burbank Film Festival and said hi again AND HE REMEMBERED ME! After that, I won a contest on his Facebook page, and he sent me two signed photos and a very sweet note.)
    Last edited by JoitheArtist; 04-26-2012, 04:53 AM.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

holy crap, the Pale Man in PL freaked me out! Badly! He's brilliant though, and I love that he remembers his most devoted fan
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Okay, I'm jealous! He is absolutely amazing. You are so lucky! That is awesome.
      "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

That is so cool, getting to meet a performer you really like! And great picture; I'm sure it's framed and hanging in a spot of honor.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Color me totally jealous! I love him and Pan's Labyrinth is in my Top 5 movies ever!!! You are sooooooooo lucky! Love the picture.
          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Joi, that rocks! Good for you. I look forward to hearing about the next time you two meet. And yes, Joi, there will be a next time. That is becoming rather evident.

I fondly remember meeting one of my favorite actresses years ago in Key West. Got to talk with her, do magic tricks for her, dance with her, and after the bar we were at closed, a few of us, including her, actually went out to a quiet spot and went skinny-dipping.

At this point, some of my friends have accused me of lying. To which I point out not the fact that they know I don't lie or make shit up, but the more obvious fact that if I WERE lying or making it up, I would say I had slept with her, don't ya think?

It was a fun night, and she was an absolute sweetheart. And a great dancer. And no, nothing happened. But I did get to see more than the average fan, that's for sure.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Joi, that rocks! Good for you. I look forward to hearing about the next time you two meet. And yes, Joi, there will be a next time. That is becoming rather evident.
              Of course there will be; that's my intent. I can be rather Machiavellian when need be, and he posts appearances on his Facebook page all the time. which, I guess, makes me a Facebook stalker, but not the creepy kind!
              "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

So cool for you! And, he's really cute.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You have such a shy smile in that picture Joi. It's adorable! :3
                  He looks so much better in 'person' than in his imdb pic... more normal.
                  It's good to know that his type of charisma is like that, makes me have hope for humanity.
                  Re: Jester: you are such a bad boy!
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                    You have such a shy smile in that picture Joi. It's adorable! :3
                    He looks so much better in 'person' than in his imdb pic... more normal.
                    It's good to know that his type of charisma is like that, makes me have hope for humanity.
                    Re: Jester: you are such a bad boy!
                    He is a bit odd-looking (in a good, interesting way) but very adorable IRL. Anyone who is a fan of him should become a fan on Facebook, because he interacts with people there a fair bit.

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                      Jester: you are such a bad boy!
                      And what, precisely, is your point?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                        He is a bit odd-looking (in a good, interesting way) but very adorable IRL.
                        That's the best kind. Perfect faces are boring!
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                        X