This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking: Boneless Leg of Lamb

Got a boneless leg of lamb for Easter dinner.

Now, how should I cook it? It's approximately 5 pounds.

Crock pot?

Oven?

Pot on top of stove?

I'm

me please.

Thank you!

I tend to stick it full of rosemary and slivers of garlic then roast it in the oven with a marinade.

My favourite recipe:
    - 2kg leg of lamb
    - 3-4 cloves of garlic, julienned
    - 3 sprigs of rosemary (Pulled apart into little clusters of 2-4 leaves)
    - 1/2 dry white wine
    - 1 cup of chicken stock
    - 1/3 lemon juice

Heat the oven to 200 C. While heating, stab the leg of lamb so that you have as many holes as you do slivers of garlic. Poke the garlic and a cluster of rosemary leaves in as far as you can. Put it in a large casserole dish, garlic side up. Mix the wine, stock and lemon juice together, then pour over the roast. Put the lid on the dish and then into the oven for ~2 hours. Baste with it's juices every now and then. After that, turn the temperature down to 120 and leave it for another 1-1.5 hours. Melts in your mouth and doesn't feel or taste over-cooked. My husband's grandmother asks for the recipe all the time, but I'm waiting until she'll trade it for her Chow Mein recipe.

If you don't have a tightly fitting lid for the casserole dish, use aluminium foil. It must not dry out!
    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
      Heat the oven to 200 C. ... After that, turn the temperature down to 120 ...
      For those who use Fahrenheit, 200 C = 392 F and 120 C = 248 F

I wish I wasn't the only one in the family who liked lamb, that recipe sounds delicious.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

as an alternative to basting every so often use a Brown-in-bag; we use one for our turkey every year at thanksgiving and christmas, and never have a dry turkey.

I know that mint is supposed to go well with lamb, and so is thyme.... but it sounds like your best bet is "slow-roasting" in the oven.

good luck!
        I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Mishi's recipe is very close to the way we always did it. Now for the most important question... What time should we show up?

Comment

Not sure yet when we're having Easter supper! XD But I'll let you know.

Thank you for the recipe Mishi. I'll use it (if Mr. Rum doesn't commandeer the cooking).

I also like putting it into an oven bag.

Comment

You're welcome!
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Working...
              X