This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry for doing the speed limit

I'm on some county roads and pass through a small town where the limit drops. I don't want to sound special because I'm a parent, but being a parent has given me a particular appreciation for lower speed limits in residential and school zones, so I give extra attention to ensure I am driving at that limit. It takes all of 45 seconds to pass through this zone, and the limit goes back up. I accelerate back to this limit, in a vehicle that has decent acceleration, but assclown behind me has become infuriated because I was doing the limit through the other area. He chooses to pass me. It is illegal to pass here, a solid double line. It is definately stupid and probably illegal to pass an accelerating vehicle. And the topper is that there is an oncoming vehicle. I back off the gas and the oncoming vehicle does the same to avoid a head on collision. He risked his life to do so, but by god, he is now in front of me. Well if he's in this much of a hurry, he must need to get somewhere. Nope, he levels off in front of me at around 10 kph above the limit. Almost kill yourself, almost kill every occupant in my vehicle, almost kill every occupant in another vehicle, all to be 5 seconds ahead of where you started from. MORON!

The real kicker is that about 5 minutes later we both get stopped at a red light, I am right behind him. A lay into him, calling him a fucking moron. He decides to turn around because he isn't quite sure what I called him, I make it even clearer that I am calling him a fucking moron. At this point, let's just say that I am an intimidating presence, particularly when infuriated, so he wisely chooses to just turn back around and slouch down in his seat. He chose to drive a little more wisely following this exchange.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

I had someone do the same thing to me a couple weeks back. Freakin' idiots.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've said it before, but it bears repeating.

I live outside a small northern town, and the Trans Canada highway is the only way through the town.

I make DAMN sure to slow down in town, and through all the other small towns going to anywhere else because I KNOW the cops love to sit in those small towns and catch the speeders. I've seen it happen so many times, I don't care if someone gets pissed off behind me, I don't want or need a ticket.

Especially if I'm driving the Mustang in the summer. Da Po-Po ALWAYS give me a long, hard look in that car in a small town.

B
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Yeah, I always back off the gas pedal when going through neighborhoods and similar.

Similarly, whenever I'd go down to the Outer Banks for vacation in the summer, I was always VERY careful when going through Duck, since the speed limit through the town is only like 20mph, and they fine VERY heavily for speeding, AND they have itchy radar trigger fingers.

Never been done for speeding ever, no plans to change that.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post

I make DAMN sure to slow down in town, and through all the other small towns going to anywhere else because I KNOW the cops love to sit in those small towns and catch the speeders.
          Yeah, it was the same in my home town. Speed limit through town was 25 mph. It was painfully slow. I hated it. But I absolutely didn't go over, even a little bit, because I grew up there, I knew exactly where the cops liked to sit. I'd collect an angry parade behind me, and as soon as we'd go around a corner and they'd see the cruiser, they'd back off... For about 30 seconds, then back they were, hugging my bumper. I made many people angry, which I'm okay with, and avoided any speeding tickets, which I'm very happy about.

The flip side are the tourists driving that same road. Again, speed limit 25. They'd go 15 (which is torture) while they looked at the pretty sailboats in the harbor. There are many reasons I don't live in that town anymore.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

When I slung pizza for a living, one of the first things we learned (and passed on) as delivery drivers was the knowledge of where the local speed traps were
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I remember one old guy who stood outside a trailer park. He'd report any pizza driver speeding... UNLESS you waved to him. Wave to the old guy, and all was golden. (The speed limit was just a bit lower than needed, and was recently bumped way up)

Comment

I don't drive, so I don't understand. What's wrong with low speed limits? Shouldn't they be everywhere to stave off crashes and run-overs?
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

A discussion of the rationale behind lower speed limits is really better suited to Fratching. ^_^

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                    I don't drive, so I don't understand. What's wrong with low speed limits? Shouldn't they be everywhere to stave off crashes and run-overs?
                    I believe the OP's point was that, as he's driving a company vehicle, he's ALWAYS going to be driving the speed limit, regardless of how low it is, and he doesn't care if he's annoying speedsters who are stuck behind him.

I don't believe anyone here was commenting on low speed limits apart from noting why they adhere to them anyway in certain circumstances.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                    X